Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Crome turbo base map

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crome turbo base map

What kind of performance are people getting from their Crome basemap tunes for turbo F22s? I am going to get it fully tuned. But finding a tuner who uses Crome is proving difficult. So I'll probably run my Crome base map for a bit until I can find a tuner. Or until I'm comfortable tuning it myself.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: Crome turbo base map

You do understand that a basemap is only for getting the car started and onto a trailer to get to the dyno for a proper tune, correct? They are not meant to be driven on for any length of time, period. For every "oh I drove it and it was fine" story, there's 15 more out there that have popped a motor because they thought it was good enough. The engine calibration aka tune is the single most important thing in any heavily modified setup. I never understood how people can drop thousands on turbo setups then drive around on a basemap. Even if there isn't immediate apparent damage, it can still cause issues like accelerated bearing wear, piston wear, etc due to an improper mixture. All it takes is one erroneous cell to turn an engine into a boat anchor.

Nobody will be able to give you a legitimate answer on what kind of performance they're getting because this platform isn't modified to that extent very widely anymore and it's unlikely that anyone would be using the same maps. With that said, every single basemap I've seen(including some from reputable tuners) are on either the rich or lean side of the spectrum. Timing maps vary widely as well. In all my years tuning I have never seen a basemap that was what I would consider driveable. Even the "premium" basemaps from reputable vendors are far from ideal and I've seen a few of those destroy engines as well. There is no substitute for an actual tune. Even with just a street tune it's very difficult to get timing dialed in correctly so there's a good chance power will be left on the table, or worse if it goes the other way.

I still tune vehicles on Crome occasionally but I really don't recommend it anymore. It's usable for basic setups but really lacks in features and exhibits some wonky behavior at times which can cause issues. If possible, invest in a better solution like Neptune RTP and get a legitimate tune. Both of those things will pay for themselves quickly. Ask yourself this: Would you rather pay for the EMS and tune now or an engine + the trouble of swapping it very shortly?