Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Creak in steering... any ideas out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creak in steering... any ideas out there?

I get this creaking noise when I turn the wheel sometimes... sounds like its coming from the steering column and not the suspension. Any ideas?

'91 Accord, power steering.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Creak in steering... any ideas out there? (crizkeeth)

I don't mean to steal the thread, but I also have a similar creaking noise. But it seems like it's coming from the windshield. It happens more when the weather is cold and when I'm going over a bump.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Creak in steering... any ideas out there? (Shinbo)

Yeah in the cold... me too. Anyone have any experience with this issue?
Old 11-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe you have points in your steering that need grease.
look at your power steering reservoir...is it low?

check it out....
Old 11-05-2004, 09:44 AM

bump
Old 11-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crizkeeth)

Does anyone have any suggestions or insights on my problem? I'm pretty sure that it's coming from the windshield. It sounds like it's creaking like it's about to break or something. It gets more severe as I get on bumpy roads.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:01 PM

Alright, I took a video with audio so you can SEE and HEAR exactly what is happening. Take a look!!! http://www.chriskeith.net/steering_creak.avi

SECOND VERSION:
http://www.chriskeith.net/steering_creak2.avi

Modified by crizkeeth at 3:51 PM 11/13/2004
Old 11-13-2004, 12:27 PM

get someone in the car to turn the wheel while you watch the power steering pump, watch the pulley specifically. pump might be shot
Old 11-13-2004, 02:50 PM

Default Re: (WillsH22Accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WillsH22Accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get someone in the car to turn the wheel while you watch the power steering pump, watch the pulley specifically. pump might be shot</TD></TR></TABLE>

What should I be looking for with the pump? Im not so sure its that... it sounds more like a f'ed up bushing or something. Take a look at the second video above.. you can hear the sound in a little more detail.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:55 PM

With my other halfs help for sound, as I am deaf, seems like you should check your coil spring. If that is fine, then I would go looking at the rack as it shows only when you turn right. Did not feel any sounds when you turned left.
That is why I would look at coil spring first as with the body roll when you turn, the right side goes up and the left goes down even when sitting still.

Is there any thing else you notice when you are driving?

Old 11-13-2004, 07:05 PM

Default Re: (hawkmgc)

Honda is aware of a ball joint creaking. It's hard to pinpoint from inside the car.
The joint will increasingly get louder as time goes on.
The noise you describe is concistant with the ball joint creak. Some modles had a service bullitin, I think. I tried to log on to the Honda tech link, but it's down in my area.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:11 PM

Default Re: (hawkmgc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hawkmgc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With my other halfs help for sound, as I am deaf, seems like you should check your coil spring. If that is fine, then I would go looking at the rack as it shows only when you turn right. Did not feel any sounds when you turned left.
That is why I would look at coil spring first as with the body roll when you turn, the right side goes up and the left goes down even when sitting still.

Is there any thing else you notice when you are driving?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great insight hawk, thanks. Im not sure if its the coil spring, but I could check. The only thing that makes me shy away from that explanation a little is the fact that I dont hear any creaking over bumps while driving, etc. The creak is more present while Im parking, turning in place... basically just driving at lower speeds when theres more resistance on the tires.

How would I be able to cure a creak in a coil without taking the coil out? Is that possible?
Old 11-13-2004, 09:28 PM

Default Re: (Namikuz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Namikuz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda is aware of a ball joint creaking. It's hard to pinpoint from inside the car.
The joint will increasingly get louder as time goes on.
The noise you describe is concistant with the ball joint creak. Some modles had a service bullitin, I think. I tried to log on to the Honda tech link, but it's down in my area.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are lower ball joints easy to replace? Would it be in the below diagram?

Old 11-14-2004, 11:11 AM

bump
Old 11-14-2004, 11:18 AM

Default Re: (Shinbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shinbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone have any suggestions or insights on my problem? I'm pretty sure that it's coming from the windshield. It sounds like it's creaking like it's about to break or something. It gets more severe as I get on bumpy roads.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude you have a fricking 04 accord, TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP...unless youve been cross country driving you should still have warranty on it
Old 11-14-2004, 01:05 PM

Default Re: (f23accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by f23accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude you have a fricking 04 accord, TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP...unless youve been cross country driving you should still have warranty on it</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahaa....

Okay, so might the lower ball joints be seen in this picture?? Im trying to figure out what area to pinpoint this problem at.

Modified by crizkeeth at 2:37 PM 11/14/2004
Old 11-15-2004, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crizkeeth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay, so might the lower ball joints be seen in this picture?? Im trying to figure out what area to pinpoint this problem at.</TD></TR></TABLE>Look at #5 in the photo, that's the lower control arm. All the way out at it's end, beyond #7, is the lower ball joint. It's partly hidden by the tire. It's a ball&socket with a rubber boot.

That other drawing from Majestic Honda... Pick "KNUCKLE" as the system you want & you should see it on that picture.

But first, take off some plastic shrouds beneath the steering column. First thing you need to do is figure out whether the sound is really coming from inside the car, or underneath.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JimBlake)

I just listened to your media file and I had the same EXACT NOISE. I Had new tie rod ends put on about a year ago and here there was very little grease in the joint. So I just drilled about a 1/16th hole in the rubber boot and squirted white lithium grease into it. I'm almost positive that's it, should be yours too....cuz it was REALLY hard to find the noise!

Modified by rudeman85 at 6:16 PM 11/15/2004
Old 11-15-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Re: (rudeman85)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rudeman85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just listened to your media file and I had the same EXACT NOISE. I Had new tie rod ends put on about a year ago and here there was very little grease in the joint. So I just drilled about a 1/16th hole in the rubber boot and squirted white lithium grease into it. I'm almost positive that's it, should be yours too....cuz it was REALLY hard to find the noise!

Modified by rudeman85 at 6:16 PM 11/15/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

Rudeman--

Glad to hear someone with the same experience as me! Alright, so you simply greased up the joint in the below picture? Im pretty sure thats the tie rod end. Damn, lets hope thats my problem. I guess it kind of makes sense since the noise only occurs when turning the wheel to the RIGHT. You just greased it up and the sound went away?

Old 11-16-2004, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is the tie rod end in that picture. But I wouldn't put a hole in the rubber boot. It's easy enough to take the boot off; there's a spring wound around the big end of the boot. Then you can inspect, wipe it out, & stuff a bunch of grease into the joint. In fact, you can buy the boot for a couple $.

If it doesn't look nice inside the boot, don't be afraid to replace the joint.

It's pretty much the same story; for any of the 3 ball joints. They're on upper & lower control arms, & the tie rod ends. Any one or more can be squeaking.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JimBlake)

Well, I understand about drilling a hole in the boot. That's just what the mechanics at honda told me. So I did and it worked perfectly. I bet that noise occurs when you initially start and stop too...am I right? My squek was HORRIBLY LOUD!!! Good luck bro!
Old 11-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rudeman85)

Hmmm...that white lithium grease was a temporary fix, I think since it rained here lastnight, water got into it and now the LOUD squeak is back. Maybe I have to go with good grease...????