Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Could be Crank Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Could be Crank Sensor

Alright, so we have spark, compression, and fuel... the car should run but it doesn't. Its a 99 Honda Accord, 4 cylinder, EX 160,000 miles After checking the spark plugs, replacing the wires, getting a new starter, and checking and cleaning all the igniters the timing belt is good and we've got enough compression we now think we're getting too much fuel. The spark plugs are too wet. So we're thinking something sensor related, a buddy of ours works at a Buick Dealer and suggested Crank Sensor... I've heard they throw off the igniter timing and other functions... Anyone else know if this is a reasonable option or could it be another sensor of some sort. If it is the Crank Sensor, Where is it located?

Any help is greatllyyyyy appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!!
Old 01-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Could be Crank Sensor

Originally Posted by 99AccordProblem
Alright, so we have spark, compression, and fuel... the car should run but it doesn't. Its a 99 Honda Accord, 4 cylinder, EX 160,000 miles After checking the spark plugs, replacing the wires, getting a new starter, and checking and cleaning all the igniters the timing belt is good and we've got enough compression we now think we're getting too much fuel. The spark plugs are too wet. So we're thinking something sensor related, a buddy of ours works at a Buick Dealer and suggested Crank Sensor... I've heard they throw off the igniter timing and other functions... Anyone else know if this is a reasonable option or could it be another sensor of some sort. If it is the Crank Sensor, Where is it located?

Any help is greatllyyyyy appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!!
It mounts to the face of the oil pump assembly, under the timing belt cover. Refer:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...P-OIL+STRAINER

#18 TDC sensor

P
Old 01-04-2009, 05:16 AM

P,

Thanks for the help, I was wondering however if you think the Crank Sensor could be the problem or perhaps it cab be an O2 Sensor. I've seen alot of cars with that problem but I don't know if that alone would cause the car not to run.... Like I said we've got fuel, spark, and compression could the O2 Sensor cause the fuel/air mix to be off that much??

Thanks again,

A
Old 01-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

P,

Thanks for the help, I was wondering however if you think the Crank Sensor could be the problem or perhaps it cab be an O2 Sensor. I've seen alot of cars with that problem but I don't know if that alone would cause the car not to run.... Like I said we've got fuel, spark, and compression could the O2 Sensor cause the fuel/air mix to be off that much??

Thanks again,

A
I'm hesitant to condemn the O2 sensor. I haven't seen one yet that cause this condition. When the engines cold (first started), it runs in what is refered to as open loop, with the ecm operating off a set of default values which do not involve the O2 sensor. I've seen O2 sensors effect gas milage, hesitations, sags and flat spots, but never a flooded condition.
Honestly, the crank TDC sensor isn't a high incident component. It's hardly ever mentioned.
I've seen defective (pourous) ignition wires do this
I've seen partially discharged batteries do this

You can sometimes get a partially flooded engine to fire by holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking, but it can be a real b***ch of a job if the plugs are really wet.

P
Old 01-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have a noid light to check injector pulses?
Old 01-04-2009, 03:05 PM

I don't have a noid light but we have checked the injectors and each is spraying properly. When the day started we had a code 1 from the CEL and bought an upstream O2 sensor to see if that would solve our problem... it didn't. we then swapped out the new sensor and put the old sensor back in. this time the computer wasn't reading ANY code... at which point we took out both computers and put them back in just to take a look at them. when we put them back in we then had a code 54 however we were receiving the code from the ABS light?!? So now we're thinking crank fluctuation sensor.... Does this sound plausible? We've checked everything and even had a technician look at it. The exhaust is fine, the spark plugs are fine just too wet, the wires are new and injectors, and fuel pump are good too. Plenty of compression and spark and fuel... so what's wrong? Thanks again!!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure if you have checked this yet but i assume you have inspected the dist cap and rotor. some times when things fail we tend to over look the basics.we just had a integra in the shop about 3 weeks ago that had a rotor that was grounding out and no start.it had spark and fuel and compression. just a thought. on simple way to test is you can ohm the rotor or remove the cap and hold the coil wire about 1/4" fro mthe center of the rotor and see what it does. if the spark jumps to the housing then the rotor is good,if it just sparks and nothing else then you have a internally failed rotor. very common with cheap aftermarket tune up parts.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heres a pic of the crank sensor:

i'll see if i have a flow chart at work to test the crank, wont be til tomorrow though.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:45 PM

That flowchart would be great, I'd really appreciate it.

Now however I've got another question... After putting in the O2 sensor, the code 1 disappeared, when the car still wouldn't start, we tried to jump the code again, this time however when jumping the code the CEL light remained on. Does this mean a Code 0 or that the ECU is dead? One test was to check if the injectors were still clicking and they are. in theory if the computer was dead they shouldn't be working still. Also our ABS is giving us a signal does this mean that only one of the 2 computers is dead or are both the ABS and CEL lights/codes connected to the same computer? Is there another way to test if the ECU is our problem?

Thank you,

A
Old 01-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is a 4 cyl correct? or v6 ?
Old 01-04-2009, 06:17 PM

it's a 4 cylinder
Old 01-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if the ckp sensor was failed it will set a dtc.these systems are very sensitive and will pick up faults pretty quick.

Last edited by dtapia; 01-04-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That flowchart would be great, I'd really appreciate it.

Now however I've got another question... After putting in the O2 sensor, the code 1 disappeared, when the car still wouldn't start, we tried to jump the code again, this time however when jumping the code the CEL light remained on. Does this mean a Code 0 or that the ECU is dead? One test was to check if the injectors were still clicking and they are. in theory if the computer was dead they shouldn't be working still. Also our ABS is giving us a signal does this mean that only one of the 2 computers is dead or are both the ABS and CEL lights/codes connected to the same computer? Is there another way to test if the ECU is our problem?

Thank you,

A
no that means their no stored dtc's present.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:40 PM

We don't have a Diagnostic Trouble Code at this, when we try to jump the code the CEL stays on, it doesn't blink at all. When we TRY to start the car the CEL turns on 2 seconds and then turns off, but stays on when putting it in diagnostic mode. That's why we're wondering if there's an isssue with the ECU... Do you know how to test the ECU to see if it's working? Does a constant CEL mean a bad ECU???
Old 01-04-2009, 06:43 PM

Well we're not getting any codes but the car won't start, we've got spark, fuel, and compression all mechanical aspects have been checked and rechecked. We've narrowed it down to a sensor failure and now possibly an ECU failure in addition to whatever caused the car not to start originally. The only code we're getting currrently is through the ABS light, and it's code 54.... any ideas there?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well we're not getting any codes but the car won't start, we've got spark, fuel, and compression all mechanical aspects have been checked and rechecked. We've narrowed it down to a sensor failure and now possibly an ECU failure in addition to whatever caused the car not to start originally. The only code we're getting currrently is through the ABS light, and it's code 54.... any ideas there?
ABS DTC 54 Fail-Safe Relay
I'll see what I can scare up

P
Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how did this car stop running in the first place? were you rebuilding the engine? or did you come out one day and try to start it and it wouldnt turn over? have you removed the distributor at all? maybe the distributor is 180 degrees off. are you getting spark at every cylinder?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:05 AM

We have spark at every plug. Now we've just found out that there is no voltage to the crank sensor could this mean an ecu problem or a crank sensor problem???
Old 01-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check an ecu pin out diagram to find which wires go from the ecu to the crank sensor and check for continuity in those wires.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by andyli00
www.nike-air-shoes.com
[img]file:///c:/docume%7e1/andyli/locals%7e1/temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/img]we wholesale brand sneakers,cheap nike shoes,discount air jordans,air jordan i ii iii iv v vi vii viii ix x xi xii xiii xiv xv xvi xvii xviii xix xx xxi xxii xxiii shoes,new mix jordan shoes,women’s air jordan shoes,air max 87 88 89 90 91 95 97 360 2003 2009 tn ltd shoes,nike shox r2 r3 r5 nz tz tl1 tl3 r4 shoes, nike dunk shoes, sb dunk shoes,nike air force 1 shoes,air force one 25th shoes,nike kid’s shoes,kid’s jordan shoes,adidas shoes,adicolor shoes,puma shoes,gucci shoes,basketball shoes,prada shoes,ato shoes,bape star shoes,d&g shoes,ugg boots,timberland shoes,supra shoes,other brand boots(women’s),and wholesale cheap brand clothing,cheap coat,hoody,jeans,sweat,suit,t-shirt,long-sleeved t shirt.cheap brand handbags,aaa bags,purse.cheap rolex watchs,cheap brand belts,brand hats,brand scarf,brand sunglasses. www.nike-air-shoes.com, all of the discount brand of goods from china
email:nikeairshoes0@gmail.com msn:nike-air-shoes@hotmail.com
yahoo message: nikeairshoes0@yahoo.com
ban ban