Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

PLEASE HELP front balancer shaft sprocket came loose and knocked belt off HELP SOS

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 PLEASE HELP front balancer shaft sprocket came loose and knocked belt off HELP SOS

So I have a 90 Honda Accord ex two door f22a4 that I completed the timing belt replacement well yesterday while driving my car started to have a pulse to it but continued driving it after a while it started to sound funny so stopped to look and the oil pump/front balancer shaft sprocket and belt fell off or something like protruding from cover. now being that this happened I don't know if this could have damaged my engine or not. So my questions are.

Did this belt falling off damage or could it have damaged my engine and in what way and also I heard about running without the balancer shaft belt too but my oil pump is the front balancer shaft and think it is crank driven so I cant run without the belt right? and if I can some how do you know how I could pull it off? Please help thank u for ur time

Please help me get my car up and running
Old 05-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: PLEASE HELP front balancer shaft sprocket came loose and knocked belt off HELP SO

I am somewhat confused, but it sounds like something wasn't tightened down like it should of been. Its never as bad as you think it is (ok well sometimes it is). My suggestion is to pull the belts off the crank pulley, remove t-belt cover and see what is going on and go from there. If the balance shaft belt fell off, your car will still run. I have ran an F22 w/out one. I don't recommend it unless you use a block off kit. IIRC the oil pump is ran off of the crank so you should be fine.

The oil light didn't come on when any of this happened did it?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: PLEASE HELP front balancer shaft sprocket came loose and knocked belt off HELP SO

I dont remember it turning on no but it did kinda start happening over time I remember a huge change in the sound of the engine ....lower in pitch and shaking violently bit thank u for your input I have been waiting for a legit opinion for awhile but we got put back together but I remember wondering about the threads in the balancer shaft the bolt had flattened out threads that may have expanded when it some how spun its way off when we tryes putting in the new bolt it was almost as if it didn't tighten all the way in the shaft the way it is soppose to any ideas?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Trial User

Default Re: PLEASE HELP front balancer shaft sprocket came loose and knocked belt off HELP SO

Its never as bad as you think it is

Old 05-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics didn't work.

1 of three things probably needs to happen.

Replace balance shaft
Try a time sert or heil coil
Run it with out a balance shaft belt

Good luck.