Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Clicking Sound When Braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking Sound When Braking

I am getting this really annoying clicking sound every time I break.

Some Info:

March 05: Changed break pads to ceramic pads.
August 05: Took car to get disc rotors replaced because they were warped.

and that's when the problem started. As soon as I got the car back within a few days it started to make a clicking sound when I breaked. It got so back that it sound like pops when I would break.

So I figured, its the hub bearings, well I had someone replace them and guess what?! He replaced them but installed 92 hub bearings! Yup! He said not to worry because they will fit on a 97 Accord. I don't know how accurate that is but I checked out the hub assembly and everything looks in place, nothing forced in or signs of hammering.

What could this problem be? I have a warranty on my break shoes from Pep Boys so if that's the problem then fudge it, I'm there!

Any suggestions?

Modified by dman81 at 11:32 PM 10/5/2005
Old 10-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Clicking Sound When Braking (dman81)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dman81 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am getting this really annoying clicking sound every time I break.

Some Info:

March 05: Changed break pads to ceramic pads.
August 05: Took car to get disc rotors replaced because they were warped.

and that's when the problem started. As soon as I got the car back within a few days it started to make a clicking sound when I breaked. It got so back that it sound like pops when I would break. So I figured, its the Hub bearings, well I had someone replace them and guess what?! The noise is still there!

What could this problem be? I have a warranty on my break shoes from Pep Boys so if that's the problem then fudge it, I'm there!

Any suggestions?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

if the problem occured after they replaced rotors ,,i have 2 questions for you

# 1 why did you not take car back and have the shop fix it??

#2 why the hell would you spend unnecessary money on bearings before you diagnosed where noise was coming from???

My suggestion take car back to shop that replaced your rotors and have them doublechk their work,,,.......i see u also stated that they replaced shoes??? is noise coming from frt or rear????,,if from the frt of the car brake shoes have nothing to do with it...........again take it back and explain to them your concerns
Old 10-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clicking Sound When Braking (deserthonda)

I messed up big time then, see what happened was that I had taken the car back once because the rotors weren't surfaced correctly so I took it back and got it taken care of.

Then that's when a week had gone by and then the noise came out and just thought nothing of it. But the noise got louder and now I have this huge mess.

Regarding the bearings, I did diagnose or should I say "attempted". I took it to 4 different shops all with different answers from "Motor Mounds" to Bad Breaks Shoes to Hub Bearings. But man, I'm so tired of this problem, just want to fix already.

The noise is from the front end of the car.

If I take to Honda, I got a quote of a $950+ job to fix it. They would basically just install everthing again.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow how can 4 shops be so far off on the answers ,,,,,,so if they gave u all of those responses why did u go with bearings?????? just curious ...

Ok am i to understand that u already got a quote from the honda shop of 950???so what did they say is wrong ???
And since the noise came after u did some rotors work why not take it back to that shop ,,they should fix it for free
Old 10-06-2005, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clicking Sound When Braking (deserthonda)

It was an over the phone estimate based on what the other shops said. What a mess huh?

So any who, I appreciate your suggestions. Any others guys?
Old 10-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i wont touch this. cars making poping noise no good.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dman81 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am getting this really annoying clicking sound every time I break.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
What speed does it do it? Is it more noticable when the brakes are hot or cold? Does it do it when it's raining? Does it have a vibration braking?