Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Check Engine Light, secondary 02 sensor (I think.) What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light, secondary 02 sensor (I think.) What to do?

Hey guys I just installed dc headers and greddy evo cat-back in my 97 accord lx. It is so tight. Sounds great and gave me a big noticeable amount of power. I had to customize the catalytic converter a bit to make it work. I cut the flange off on the header side and welded the catalytic converter to the down pipe of the header. While I was doing all of this I figured since I live in NY and emissions laws are not that strict I would gut the converter. Ever since the check engine light has been on. I removed the battery neg numerous times to try and correct it, but it just comes back on. I was reading an old thread and it said that on a 97 Prelude and installation of a Random Technology Cat Back, they were complaining about being too free flowing and causing the O2 sensor(s) to trip the check engine light with the P0420 code. It will pass emissions fine; however, your check engine light will always be on which can eventually cause other problems because the computer will be trying to compensate for the problem.
I think this is the same problem I have.
If anyone can give me any suggestions that would be awesome.
Otherwise I guess the only way around it is to take the whole thing back down cut the weld buy a new converter, modify that without gutting it and reassemble everything. My other option is to somehow disable or trick the secondary O2 sensor on the converter so it wont trip the light. There was a thread about this at Honda- Acura's forum, but it was hard to understand their instructions. Has anyone ever had this problem and know how to bypass the sensor? Also is this ok to do? If i do this will the sensor still work?

Old 08-08-2003, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Check Engine Light, secondary 02 sensor (I think.) What to do? (chrisdav6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chrisdav6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... While I was doing all of this I figured since I live in NY and emissions laws are not that strict I would gut the converter. Ever since the check engine light has been on... I was reading an old thread and it said that on a 97 Prelude and installation of a Random Technology Cat Back, they were complaining about being too free flowing and causing the O2 sensor(s) to trip the check engine light with the P0420 code...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Gutting the catalyst is a LOT different than having a low-restriction exhaust from there back. I don't understand the connection between those two things.

So are you getting P0420 or did you just say what was in that other thread?
Old 08-08-2003, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Check Engine Light, secondary 02 sensor (JimBlake)

If you've gutted the cat, then I'd suspect that what you're seeing is the fact that the two O2 sensors DON'T see a difference, hence the CEL. I don't think it has anything to do with flow in your case.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pick up a new sensor a maybe ahigh flow cat that is carb approved

http://www.accordinglydone.com/store has carsounds there