Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

91 Accord Ex strange auto trans elec problem...help!

Old 11-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Accord Ex strange auto trans elec problem...help!

Well guys I hope someone else has had this problem and can enlighten me a little.

I have a 1991 Accord 4dr EX with an auto tranny with sportshift. I'm having a slight elec problem with the wiring where its affecting my transmission. The "S" on the dash stays on regardless of whether the sportshift button is pressed on the shifter itself. This causes my transmission to not shift correctly. When pulling from a complete stop it feels like the transmission is slipping and I have to move the selector from "D" to "1". When thats done it will actually be in first gear and will not slip and pull correctly. As soon as I shift to "2" or above it will return to to its strange not shifting correclty sliping.

Now this might sound like a problem with the transmission itself but it is not. A little history of this problem will shed a little more light on the subject.

This car has a mis-installed front window. Consequently water seeps in during heavy downpours. It actually comes out on the inside of the car right at the drivers feet. Around the area of the fusebox. Its not a constant stream but a littl ebit of water drips down. I started driving the car less because of an injury and started noticing that every once in a while when it would sit without being driven for a couple of days during the rainy season the "S" on the dash would stay on for a second or two but then turn off. The car sat for longer periods of time and everytie it was driven this problem with the "S" coming on the dash would stay on for longer periods of time. Now its to the point where its on almost all the time and very rarely turns off and shifts correctly. Only on very dry and hot days with the windows cracked will it function normally. I have a feeling something is either holding moisture in the car or something along those lines.

I have replaced the multi control box thing in the fusebox with one from the junkyard but the problem presists. I am hoping the fusebox itself doesnt need to be replaced. I hear a relay clicking on and off rapidly before the "S" light comes on on the dash. Also this affects the shifter lock solenoid where it wont release and I have to force the shifter to move.

Anyone have any ideas before i go replacing everything?
Old 11-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 91 Accord Ex strange auto trans elec problem...help! (OLD_HATCH)

Pull the dash and find where the water is going, problem found.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 91 Accord Ex strange auto trans elec problem...help! (Duane_in_Japan)

Easier said than done. Two lower back surgeries keep me from just doing things like that.

Thats why Id like to see if someone has had a similar experiace or knows what specific items to look at or replace.