Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

CD5 Short ram intake heat shield

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CD5 Short ram intake heat shield

I've used the search function, quite a few times wording it every way I can think of. Yes, I've Googled it. No dice.

Has anyone ever seen one for sale? Is there a company that offers a heat shield for a short ram on these cars? I'm thinking like the k&n f.i.p. kit, but for the f22b1 accord. I've been looking for a while now with no luck.

The car isn't built, but it's not stock either. k&n/aem s.r.i, sk2 70mm t.b, heavily ported f23a i.m, blacktrax adapter, massaged I/E ports on the head, eBay header/test pipe, invidia cat back, aem f.p.r, m2s4, 8lb fly/organic disc, chipped p28, hasport mounts. Stock cam/cam gear, short block..

I've noticed it heat sinks with the short ram, but I don't wanna worry about sucking up water with a cold air, thus why I'm asking if anyone has seen one (a heat shield) advertised for sale by a company.

Thanks in advance.
Greg
Old 01-29-2017, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: CD5 Short ram intake heat shield

If you think the issue is from the heat.....could you not try a heat wrap . Heck you could even wrap the header with it as well.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
If you think the issue is from the heat.....could you not try a heat wrap . Heck you could even wrap the header with it as well.
The header is wraped. I hadn't thought of wrapping the intake. Thank you.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Better to use heat reflective tape like DEI sells on something like that. The tape will keep radiant heat out whereas heat wrap is designed to keep heat in.

Also wouldn't be too difficult to make your own heat shield from sheet metal you can get from Home Depot. Use a 2x4 or similar to make bends if you don't have access to a sheet metal brake.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just run a bypass valve on a cold air. $40 solution. also, in winter months throw on a hydroshield. simple stuff to negate the risk of sucking up water.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aradin
Better to use heat reflective tape like DEI sells on something like that. The tape will keep radiant heat out whereas heat wrap is designed to keep heat in.

Also wouldn't be too difficult to make your own heat shield from sheet metal you can get from Home Depot. Use a 2x4 or similar to make bends if you don't have access to a sheet metal brake.
Another good point. The heat in-vs-out is yet another angle I hadn't considered..very insightful. Thank you.

I was hoping to avoid making a box, as I have almost 0 experience making things lol and have no real knowledge on the subject.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1996accordlx
Just run a bypass valve on a cold air. $40 solution. also, in winter months throw on a hydroshield. simple stuff to negate the risk of sucking up water.
I've never liked the idea of intentionally running an intake that I know could potentially be harmful to my car. Defects happen at the factory, and in this particular case, I don't want to be the poor fella it happens to.
I appreciate your time and input. Thank you.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Unfortunately, there are no off the shelf intake heat shield products for this chassis. I have made 2 of them out of sheet metal. Where you say you have no fabrication skills, making one of these for yourself would be a bit of a pain in the ****.

Wrapping both your exhaust and intake piping would be your easiest solution. Header wrap on the exhaust and reflective insulation on the intake tube.

You said that you have noticed some heat sink.... What intake air temps are you seeing and during what type of driving conditions are you seeing this at?

Outside air temperature =
Intake Air temperature =
Engine coolant temperature =
Vehicle Speed =
Engine RPM =
Old 02-13-2017, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
Unfortunately, there are no off the shelf intake heat shield products for this chassis. I have made 2 of them out of sheet metal. Where you say you have no fabrication skills, making one of these for yourself would be a bit of a pain in the ****.

Wrapping both your exhaust and intake piping would be your easiest solution. Header wrap on the exhaust and reflective insulation on the intake tube.

You said that you have noticed some heat sink.... What intake air temps are you seeing and during what type of driving conditions are you seeing this at?

Outside air temperature =
Intake Air temperature =
Engine coolant temperature =
Vehicle Speed =
Engine RPM =
I've noticed the heat sink during days over 85, and anytime I'm at the track making more than 1 pass during the day. I don't have a temp gun, but it starts slowing down, ending .6 slower after 4 1/4 mile hot laps.

I've got the header and intake wrapped now. Reflective tape on the tube, and header wrap all the way down to the cat.

I appreciate every ones time and insight. I may try making one someday...who knows.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That sounds like it might be coming more from the engine into the intake manifold, more than the air intake opening. There are some materials that you can use to make a thermal barrier for your engine to intake gasket. These help reduce the transfer of heat from the engine to the intake and throttle body. I think you can still buy heat shield /heat sink intake gaskets online as well. Bisimoto may still have a few on their shelves.

Another thing you can look at is removing any unnecessary systems that are connected to the intake manifold that use engine coolant. I.E. the Fast Idle Thermal Valve. If you are in 85° weather you are definitely not going to need that on your engine. I removed mine completely and never had any issues, -30°C - +30°C.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
That sounds like it might be coming more from the engine into the intake manifold, more than the air intake opening. There are some materials that you can use to make a thermal barrier for your engine to intake gasket. These help reduce the transfer of heat from the engine to the intake and throttle body. I think you can still buy heat shield /heat sink intake gaskets online as well. Bisimoto may still have a few on their shelves.

Another thing you can look at is removing any unnecessary systems that are connected to the intake manifold that use engine coolant. I.E. the Fast Idle Thermal Valve. If you are in 85° weather you are definitely not going to need that on your engine. I removed mine completely and never had any issues, -30°C - +30°C.
Thank you GhostAccord for your insight. I have started making a cold air box for the CD. The intake is wrapped.
I will call Bisi and see if I can find out more on the heat sink intake gaskets. Thanks again for your insight and time.
Greg
Old 02-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a pic of the heat shield that I made for my 5th gen a few years back.

Small sheet of 18 gauge mild steel ($20) and a strip of weather seal from the J/Y (free) and some left over (red) vacuum hose to keep the CAI tube from rubbing up against the steel. Took me about 30min to create a template using cardboard and a pair of scissors.

Very crude but it worked great!