Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

car not starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car not starting

I have a 98 accord v6 coupe,
I've had some problems starting the car on few occasions before, but that was two or three time the summer when the weather was really hot. Now that the weather has turned to damp cold weather the car has been giving me more trouble, actually it wont start at all today.

I've read that this could be a main relay problem. just wondering if anyone has had this problem before or know what the cause is before i go and get a new main realy.

Thanks for any help provided

Jason
Old 10-22-2009, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car not starting

Getting fuel? Spark? It just cranks over but no fire?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 AM

yeah not getting any fire.

when i turn the key ahead i hear the fuel pump cut in. everything seems normal excpet for when i go to start it up it just keeps cranking over.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am having the same problem with my 91 hatch (ZC). Lets hope someone get a good solution.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would check for spark. does it sound like it wants to fire or just cranking?
Old 10-22-2009, 12:15 PM

Just an update,

still no start. turn the key ahead fuel pump whirls then you can hear a click which i assume is the main relay. turn the key the rest of the way and the car just turns over without starting.

fuel pump is working. had the spark plugs out. car is getting fire. although the plugs look as though they may need to be replaced.

so until i can get the main relay checked tomorrow with the multimeter, and know for sure if thats working properly or not i'm a little stumped as to what it could be.

i'll keep posted as to whats going on. and any input is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Old 10-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm. Has the car showed problems before dying on you (ie lost of power). Does the engine even crank? If so, how many times before it starts? Sounds like right now there are many possibilities. Are you sure your battery is good?

DON'T go out and buy anything yet until you properly identify the problem, otherwise it could be a ton of money down the toilet.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:04 PM

this problem has happend before,

two or three times this summer when the weather was hot. the car wouldnt start. in the evening it would start fine, i guess when it cooled off.

the only problem now is that the weather has cooled here now, damp and cold. so its not the heat now.

i went to start the car the day before last...turned over the same as it did the summer. i waited a little over an hour went out started the car fine.

so i get in today. car cranks, no go. i wait an hour. still no go. and thus has led me here.

i beleive the main relay might be gone compltey. i've read alot of forms and all the feedback i've received to far makes all the symptoms i have like the main realy. but having said that until i test the relay i wont rule that out.

i'm gettin fuel and spark. checked that today. the battery is ok. its getting weaker though because of all the failed start attempts. it is charging now though so the next time i try it i can rule that out as well.

thanks again.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was told it was my ignition control module. I pulled it out and got it tested at auto zone and it faild 2 out of ten tests. I replaced it($50), drove the car until it was hot, shut it down.... would not start again, just crank over. Waited a few minutes, and it kicked over. I dont know WTF.

I was told that if it was a bad relay, it would just "click", not even turn over at all. I dont know man. Im going to keep following this thread and hopefully get it solved.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:36 PM

another update, hopefully the final one on this subject and my car will be fixed for good.
*If anyone has had this problem of the car not starting and just cranking over and not catching, listen in.
I took out the main relay, opened it up did some tests to check the continuity and to see if it worked properly. it had a mind of its own....three successful tests in a row and then 4 failed....and then worked once and then failed another 7.
With my main relay it dont matter the temperature outside be it hot or cold.

* when you turn your key ahead the main thing you should be listing for is the swirl or short humming sound of your feul pump. if you dont hear that dont even bother to crank over your car as it will just keep turning and flood your car and who knows how long you'll have to wait to get it going.

once you hear your feul pump your car should start.
if you or anyone you know should have this problem you should have your main relay replaced as that is the cause to all your greif.

thanks to all who have helped or has had some input, i will continue to follow this and give any adivce to others who may need some help.

"Keep on keepin, keepin on"
Old 11-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: car not starting

Worn starter?
On my 92 accord, the starter would just click, after several turns of the key it might start. Tightening of the main power post on the starter seemed to fix it for a while but then it acted up again. Twisting the power connection on the starter sometimes with a wrench would sometimes start it.
Turns out after pulling out the starter and opening it up, one of the copper contacts that complete the circuit to the starter when the solenoid pulls the rotor into the flywheel was worn off. Our cheap solution was to put a rubber washer behind the worn contact to move it out so that it would contact again and haven't had a problem since.