Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Can engine vibration mess up timing belt tensioner? Belt is now too tight!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Can engine vibration mess up timing belt tensioner? Belt is now too tight!

Hello fellow DIY mechanics!

I currently have a whining sound coming from my timing belt. It seems to be too tight. It started after an adjustment i made about a week ago on the timing belt/bal. shaft belt.

The engine is a F23 (2001 Accord EX, 5spd. -4cyl-), by the way.
It currently has 275 000km on it, timing belt, balancer shaft belt and oil seals, crankshaft seal, water pump were all replaced at 220 000km. The tensioners (both) and springs were replaced at ~240-250 000km by me. ALL the parts are from Honda. I never had any problems until recently when i tried to diagnose a buzzing noise coming from this area, wich turned out to be a little leak from the exhaust manifold gasket (only buzzes when idling down throttle closed, from ~2500rpm).

This noise here, somekind of rattling after revving. (dont pay attention to background noises, my neighbors were working outside)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4qTx...eature=related

While searching, I noticed the timing belt was kinda loose, and could be the source of that noise. So following procedures, i set the engine to TDC #1, loosened the tensioners adjusting nut, turned the engine counter clockwise 3 teeth on the camshaft, and then tightened it back up. When i started the engine, i had this new whining sound...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFFtT8fIsJM

Thing is, i am wondering if the engine mounts (front and rear) that i replaced this summer at 250 000km (FILLED WITH URETHANE-they are really stiff-) could mess up the tensioners, or any related components? The engine barely shakes, even when cranked up!

I drive alot, averaging 50 000km/year, and i'm not the smoothest out there with my car. But i do treat it with respect; always warm up before pushing it, never hit rev limiter (3 times in 200 000km+), rev-match while downshifting, barely any clutch dropping, etc.. And of course, proper maintenance.

Sadly, i need to take everything off again, and probably re-do everything from A to Z (timing belt wise) hoping nothing will be broken. Is there any shortcut possible, or am i doomed? lol thanks. (sorry for the long post)
Old 11-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could a mod move my thread to "Tech/Misc" section of the forum?
I dont want to create a duplicate thread

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds to me like the belt is rubbing on the cover. Can you push on the cover at different places and feel the belt rubbing? If you touch the cover do you feel added vibrations?

*Also, if the spring was worn, you may have made the timing belt looser. I like to apply upward pressure to the tensioner "arm" to give it a little extra tension when I do it. Did you check it for tightness after you tightened it?
Old 11-28-2008, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll check out for the belt rubbing issue with the cover to see what happens!

As for the spring, i suppose you are talking about the tensioner spring? If so, the old ones had 220 000km on them (about 6-7 years), they weren's particulary worn. I just replaced with brand new ones at the same time as i replaced the tensioners (timing and balancer). I didnt have any issues until recently when i tightened the belt trying to figure out it that was making the ratteling noise.

When i tightened it, i used the recommended procedure; TCD then loosen up adjusting nut, 3 camshaft teeth counter clockwise, tighten nut, spin a few turns.

Before adjusting the belt,it seemed pretty loose compared to other times when i checked it out. Especially the exhaust side of the belt. Not extremely, but just enough to tighten it. After adjusting, and rotating the engine a few turns, it was alot more tight, then again, not extremely, but it seemed way better than before. This is when the noise started (whirling or something like that (video 2)