Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

97 accordse running hot while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 accordse running hot while driving

Seems lately 97 accord se running hot w/ac on, shut off ac and turn on vent temp comes down. Honda dealer ran it for 45 minutes and could not find a problem so I had them at least change the thermastat. It's still not right. Any ideas....

Old 07-06-2005, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 97 accordse running hot while driving (jrhonda)

Check if both your fans are coming on when you turn on the A/C.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also check for debris (cr...p & Crud) which could be blocking airflow thru both the condenser and radiator. Honda cooling systems don't have an excess of cooling capacity, and they rely heavily on airflow thru the engine compartment.

P
Old 07-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 accordse running hot while driving (P_Adams)

see if its the gage
Old 07-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Farts in the shower

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jrhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Seems lately 97 accord se running hot w/ac on, shut off ac and turn on vent temp comes down. Honda dealer ran it for 45 minutes and could not find a problem so I had them at least change the thermastat. It's still not right. Any ideas....

</TD></TR></TABLE>

If they ran it for 45 minutes and found nothing then it looks like you have fallen victim to the ghost problem.

My suggestion is have a tech ride with you and point out the problem. So are you driving in stop/go traffic or on the highway? Are you running the a/c at full blast or on a lower setting? How are your radiator hoses and fluid quality? Is your car running hot or your a/c system?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: 97 accordse running hot while driving (.ken)

This sounds like what my car behaves like at the dealership. It will run like **** all the time and then as soon as it gets to the dealership it is like a brand new car.

I had a slipping transmission a while ago and it took the dealership 2 tanks of gas to duplicate the problem. Plus a friend of mine was the one doing the work and I was driving his swapped Civic the whole time so I know they weren't wasting any time either. Just be persistent and they will eventually find what is wrong with it. Good luck
Old 08-04-2005, 04:40 PM

I have the same problem.
I haev a 96 ex, with the A/C on durign midday heat the temp rises, turn the a/c off, the temp comes back down...
Yesterday, changed the thermostat, after driving in downtown traffic, the temp went up again, turned the a/c off, and it came down...i hit the highway and ran the a/c...no prblem...got to the parking lot, temp went back up...
when the temp is up, i verfiied BOTH fans do run...
Today...the overfill bottle was empty and the coolant was a bit low...filled them up, put it on the lift and found one possible leak...

backside of water pump...water pipe that runs to the backside of the thermostat housing...at the end of the pipe i found thick green **** (antifreeze/coolant)...
this i checked with pressure in the system from hooking up the tester to the radiator...there was slight seepage...i cleaned it up and will put it up tomorrow to see if that's the spot...this afternoon it ran ok, and then again the temp went up...i'm ready to throw this ****** out the garage and go for gusto and swap it out for the H22 and MT...
Old 08-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is it worse in city driving or hwy ??? chk radiator cap, pressure test for leaks if both fans work and no leaks and i see u got a new t-stat you could have a partially plugged radiator ,,
Old 08-05-2005, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 accordse running hot while driving (deserthonda)

I think I just blew my motor as a result of the fan not cutting on.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

check the rad cap and t-stat
Old 08-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 accordse running hot while driving (BoostedH23Accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedH23Accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think I just blew my motor as a result of the fan not cutting on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow i hope that is not the case but if it did you must have driven this car even when it ws overheating cause if they overheat a bit, engine is still ok it takes a lot of driving and really overheating to ruin an engine as a matter of facts car usually dies when they really overheat and people keep on driving .if u indeed ruined ur engine no offense but the blame would fall on you ,,, again .. i hope ur ngine is ok,,,
Old 08-07-2005, 10:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deserthonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it worse in city driving or hwy ??? chk radiator cap, pressure test for leaks if both fans work and no leaks and i see u got a new t-stat you could have a partially plugged radiator ,,</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's worse in city driving after a a few miles it starts to go up so i turn the a/c off and it goes back down...on the highway it's no problem...both fans work, flushed out the radiator on saturday and problem persists, i'll change the radiator cap today, the other one seems a lil' bit banged up...
worse case scenario...head gasket or water pump?
Old 08-08-2005, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 accordse running hot while driving (parceroreal)

i know this might be a silly question but when u say both fans work u are checking them with a/c off correct just let the thermoswitch engage fans right??
Old 08-08-2005, 06:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deserthonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know this might be a silly question but when u say both fans work u are checking them with a/c off correct just let the thermoswitch engage fans right??</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, radiator fan works on it's own with a/c off...condenser fan works with a/c on
Old 08-08-2005, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 accordse running hot while driving (parceroreal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by parceroreal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes, radiator fan works on it's own with a/c off...condenser fan works with a/c on</TD></TR></TABLE>

mmm i had this same discussion with another guy a few days ago u got a 96 accord correct???? when u have the a/c on, anytime u have the a/.c on both fans should come on ......if 1 is not on u got an issue with that particular fan system

with the a/c off and the engine is warmed up, thermostat open, both fans should be on ,, if 1 is not on u got an issue ......

Old 08-08-2005, 10:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deserthonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

mmm i had this same discussion with another guy a few days ago u got a 96 accord correct???? when u have the a/c on, anytime u have the a/.c on both fans should come on ......if 1 is not on u got an issue with that particular fan system

with the a/c off and the engine is warmed up, thermostat open, both fans should be on ,, if 1 is not on u got an issue ......

</TD></TR></TABLE>

fans are good...

changed t-stat, flushed the cooling system...gonna change the rad cap today... trying to weed out any chance of something minor... before i hop the fence for the bigger 2... water pump or worse... head gasket...