Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

blower motor/resistor replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 accord blower motor/resistor replacement question, please help!

First off: 1990 Accord LX with AC.

The other night my heater started smoking really bad and smelled horrible. It didnt stop working, althought it now runs on a very low speed, barely pushing any heat out. There is a slight increase in speed on the fan, depending on what number click the switch is turned to.

I did some research on here and got the blower housing out. My question is, what is broken? The motor or just the resistor pack? The resistor pack looks old but it is in one piece. Is the motor running at a low speed because the resistor isn't giving it all it should? Will a blower motor still run after smelly in smoking so bad?

If I had $160 I would just go buy both parts, but I really can't afford either part atm. Hence my questions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 90LXaccord; 02-12-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: blower motor/resistor replacement question

Test the resistor, don't have the manual for that gen so I can't give the exact spec's.

If you put 12v directly to the motor, what happens?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn the blower on high. Measure the voltage drop across the motor terminals. If there is a 12V drop and the motor isn't spinning very fast, and you can't find something jamming it up, the motor is likely faulty.

Smoke and a slow motor leads me to believe a shorted winding in the motor is the problem.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Trial User

I have a 90 accord LX and my blower doesnt turn on when I turn the dial on the blower switch located on the climate control panel...no positions work(1 2 3 4)...........I straight wired the blower motor to 12V battery and it works fine...I then checked the fuse under the driver dash and the relay under the hood, both were fine.....I dont believe this has anything to do with the reisistor(reduces the volts to blower) because the blower never runs.....The blower switch itself is fine but I think the problem is the harness it plugs in. Been searching for a wiring diagram to this harness for the blower switch.....Any suggestions
Old 04-28-2011, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 91 accord and my blower stopped working this morning so I started looking into this and found this thread. My failure co-incited with a burning smell. The fan speed switch, in the High position, bypasses all the resistors in the resistor pack. If the switch is intact the motor should run. Have you electrically tested the switch for opens? I have a Haynes manual for this car and the Honda manual as well (66 Megs). I can post the Accord manual on line and give you access if you still need it. I've attached a link of the blower circuit for now.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Trial User

Hi There, I've been searching all kinds of forums for this problem. I believe my blower resistor has failed as well, but would like to check it before buying a new one. Would it be possible for you to post the manual again? That would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Chris

Originally Posted by electrode56
I have a 91 accord and my blower stopped working this morning so I started looking into this and found this thread. My failure co-incited with a burning smell. The fan speed switch, in the High position, bypasses all the resistors in the resistor pack. If the switch is intact the motor should run. Have you electrically tested the switch for opens? I have a Haynes manual for this car and the Honda manual as well (66 Megs). I can post the Accord manual on line and give you access if you still need it. I've attached a link of the blower circuit for now.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this is the same as "electrode" posted or not.
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Trial User

Hmmn, not sure. I'll have to go back out and see what the wiring colors are that go to my resistor unit. It's only a 4-wire connector. Also, your diagram shows several resistors in the circuit of the unit. From what I can see on mine there is only 1 resistor and 1 capacitor visible.

Thanks,
Chris

Originally Posted by poorman212
Not sure if this is the same as "electrode" posted or not.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cjcatalano,
The diagram I posted is the same one poorman212 posted. It's the button type rather that the lever type. You cannot see the resistors in the resistor pack. They're embedded. See it here
http://www.ioffer.com/i/heater-fan-r...2-93-173347375
The cost of this pack is the same price I paid for a complete blower assy at a wrecking yard.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Trial User

Ok, I messed up a bit. I have a 2001 Accord LX. I think I saw the post where the user had a 91 Accord and my mind read it as 01.... Doh!
Anyway, my car has the climate control, so there aren't separate/individual blower settings - just the variable **** from Auto all the way counterclockwise, then low to max. I know that max bypasses the resistor circuit. That's why I'm believing that the resistor circuit is bad, because my fan comes on when set to max.

Anyway, the unit in the link looks nothing like mine (makes sense since you guys have all been talking about a 91...)

Still trying to find some type of troubleshooting info to see if the resistor unit is truly bad.

Thanks,
Chris

Originally Posted by electrode56
cjcatalano,
The diagram I posted is the same one poorman212 posted. It's the button type rather that the lever type. You cannot see the resistors in the resistor pack. They're embedded. See it here
http://www.ioffer.com/i/heater-fan-r...2-93-173347375
The cost of this pack is the same price I paid for a complete blower assy at a wrecking yard.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:59 PM
Trial User

Hi, I have a 1990 accord DX. This morning I noticed my blower was running but my blower switch was off. My A/C is working fine but I cant control my blower speed and I cant shut my blower off. I checked my relay in the fuse box under the hood and its good. I'm suspecting its the blower switch or the blower motor resister. How do I troubleshoot which part is bad? Can anyone help? Thanks
Old 07-26-2016, 05:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

normally when the motor goes out it doesnt go back on. its likely going to be the resistor. to test, test for voltage with blower on,it should progressively go up or down as you turn it up