Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Best head for the F23A5

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best head for the F23A5

Hello folks. Recently bought two 6th gen accords. Both 98s. One is an EX automatic with a bad trans (Really, bad trans - Can you believe it?!!?! Haha) and the other is a DX with a manual trans. The EX is, of course, VTEC and the DX is, of course not.

Since the EX has a bad trans I have begun swapping all the goodies to the DX. My question is, is there a better VTEC head that is worth buying and swapping onto my DX or is it better to just go the SOHC head that came with the EX and install that? This car is going to be turbo'd eventually. It will remain a daily driver. But thats another thread - - what I wanna know now is, who gives the best head? What car should I grab a head from?

Thanks all ye faithful :-)
Old 05-11-2016, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: Best head for the F23A5

The SOHC VTEC head will be just fine for boost, no need for complicating things with a DOHC head.

Why not just swap the entire engine instead of breaking it apart. That way you can also replace the seals and gaskets while it's out.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
The SOHC VTEC head will be just fine for boost, no need for complicating things with a DOHC head.

Why not just swap the entire engine instead of breaking it apart. That way you can also replace the seals and gaskets while it's out.
Thats a good point - Let me articulate on my situation a bit.. Oh and thank you for taking the time to reply!

I don't mind DOHC, its not that much more complicated than a SOHC. As a matter of fact I've only worked on DOHC motors until this car. I guess the first question is what heads can I use and what CR / HP do you end up with for each. Is this info anywhere that we know of? I've been looking everywhere.

The F23A1 (VTEC) has 232,000 and its leaking oil everywhere. The motor in the car now, the F23A5 (Non VTEC) has 105,000 and was driven by a grandpa who was a Dr. Its so clean you could eat off of it. So I want to use that to start with. The other option is to turbo the DX as is with 6-8 pounds and a cheesy ebay kit - in the mean while build the F23A1 as a DD with 10-20 PSI capability and then upgrade the IC, Turbo, WG - etc etc when I install the F23A1.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

zealautowerks might be what your looking for compression calculator/horsepower/trans ratios i dont know how accurate it is but itll help
Old 05-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Optic_Veloctiy
Thats a good point - Let me articulate on my situation a bit.. Oh and thank you for taking the time to reply!

I don't mind DOHC, its not that much more complicated than a SOHC. As a matter of fact I've only worked on DOHC motors until this car.
The complicated part isn't the head, it's all the stuff that you have to do to the block and timing/water pump pullies that make it a bit more complicated. If you look up G22/G23 builds you will see what I am talking about. There is a lot of information on swapping H22A, H23A, F20B DOHC heads onto a SOHC F series block.

I guess the first question is what heads can I use and what CR / HP do you end up with for each. Is this info anywhere that we know of? I've been looking everywhere.
Again this information will be in the hybrid section under G23/G22 builds. As far as what heads you can bolt up. Any US or JDM F22A, F22B, F23A, F20B, H22A or H23A will bolt up. The DOHC heads require slight modification to the blocks oil passages. And if it is a Non VTEC block, you will ahve to remove the oil control orifice. Zealautowerks will give you a very close estimate of the compression ratios you can get from each head.

The F23A1 (VTEC) has 232,000 and its leaking oil everywhere. The motor in the car now, the F23A5 (Non VTEC) has 105,000 and was driven by a grandpa who was a Dr. Its so clean you could eat off of it. So I want to use that to start with. The other option is to turbo the DX as is with 6-8 pounds and a cheesy ebay kit - in the mean while build the F23A1 as a DD with 10-20 PSI capability and then upgrade the IC, Turbo, WG - etc etc when I install the F23A1.
Yup..... boost it!
Old 11-27-2016, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
The complicated part isn't the head, it's all the stuff that you have to do to the block and timing/water pump pullies that make it a bit more complicated. If you look up G22/G23 builds you will see what I am talking about. There is a lot of information on swapping H22A, H23A, F20B DOHC heads onto a SOHC F series block.

Again this information will be in the hybrid section under G23/G22 builds. As far as what heads you can bolt up. Any US or JDM F22A, F22B, F23A, F20B, H22A or H23A will bolt up. The DOHC heads require slight modification to the blocks oil passages. And if it is a Non VTEC block, you will ahve to remove the oil control orifice. Zealautowerks will give you a very close estimate of the compression ratios you can get from each head.

Yup..... boost it!
Very late to reply to you but thanks for taking the time... I've decided to go this route... Boost the DX as is with Cheesebay turbo just for ***** and giggles.. Keep it around 6-8 psi and make sure fuel is plentiful. I'm swapping the F23A Vtec motor into the CRX I have and going G23 with new internals.ARP mains, rods and head bolts. Wrist pins, rods and pistons. (piston choice is going to be a big deal - you'll see why ...). After that is done I am thinking I might try and complicate my life by boosting the G23 on pump gas w/ water injection.... Thats what I really think I'd like to do.