Power Window Stuck Closed

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 09:34 AM
GWT
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Window Stuck Closed

95 Accord Sedan EX
Just purchased for a pittance, 206K miles. In good general condition. The window is one of 3 or 4 "minor" problems.
Both front windows are stuck in the closed position. I know that the motor-regulator connection on the passenger side is broken, I can see the broken cable. I think there is a similar problem on the driver side. That's the one I'm working on at the moment.

I want to remove the motor and regulator. First step is to roll down the window, followed by guide channel removal so that the window can be pulled up and out. But the window is stuck up (closed). [Door panel etc. has been removed]

If anyone is familiar with the window-motor-regulator setup on this car I could use some suggestions/insight as to:
1. how to proceed with window removal given I have been unable to roll it down.
2. better info on the operating principle of the motor-regulator. I have a shop manual for the coupe (could not find one for the sedan), and am wondering if there is a difference in the setup between the sedan and the coupe and the manual does not show good detail on the regulator etc..

Thanks
Old 11-06-2020, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Re: Power Window Stuck Closed

I suppose you might have to do a few things.

1 - tape the glass in place so it doesn't fall
2- can you reach anything that might let you detach the whole bracket/scissor? If you start loosening the bolts in the coners, does it give you enough wiggle room to bring it down or disconnect it from the window glass?
3- Can you get a small hacksaw on any of the rivets to take the scissor section apart? Trying to think how else to get it out.
4-With it loose enough can you get it off the track

Personally, if it won't close I don't see how you can pull it out of the small opening. I would think you would have to cut it.

Old 11-06-2020, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Break the window.

Glass is cheap.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Try unbolting the glass from the regulator's framework. Then remove the regulator followed by the guide rails. See below:

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-06-2020, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 99stockcivic
Trying to think how else to get it out.
My response was to this. If it was still in the way and the regulator needed to come out.

If you loosen them all, it should be enough.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:40 AM
GWT
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Accordian47
Try unbolting the glass from the regulator's framework. Then remove the regulator followed by the guide rails. See below:
Thanks for the more accurate depiction of the set-up. It's better than the manual I have.

Yes, that is what I have done. I did manage to move the window down some. I decided to skip the "lower the window all the way" part. Discovered some of the differences from the coupe to the sedan made this unnecessary because the front center channel doesn't need to be removed on the sedan. The window-channel mating is not as rigid.

After unbolting the window from the regulator as you note, tilting the window forward, down into the door disengaged it from the center channel so I could pull it up out of the door, carefully.

Putting it back in, after replacing the motor-regulator, may be a little more tricky. But, a new working regulator will help immensely I'm sure.
Extracting the motor-regulator was easy as expected after removing all fasteners. I expect installation to be similarly straight forward.

Thanks again
GWT
Old 11-08-2020, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update. I find window work intimidating, but your success is encouraging. I hope you can post back after replacing the motor-regulator.

Old 11-11-2020, 03:44 PM
GWT
Honda-Tech Member

Ok. Ordered and received, much sooner than expected, regulator-motor for each front window. I have installed the parts in the driver window. That was as easy as removal.

Installing the window was/is more of a problem for me:
First, I had not observed how the window fit the molding/channel [center channel i.e.rear of the door] so was trying to make it fit where it wouldn't. Finally, got smart enough to look at the other door which got me on the right track (channel?). I fit the window to the regulator and put the bolts in.

The big problem is that the window is binding somewhere and I can't figure out where. It's noticeable rolling down, but rolling up it stops the motor somewhere in the middle of it's journey. I have loosened front and center channels to adjust to the window and retightened them. I have loosened the bolts holding the window to the regulator, and the regulator attaching bolts, raised the window and retightened the bolts..

The window is still binding. [Aside: The window was not working when I bought the car because of the broken regulator, so I don't know that it moved up and down smoothly before.]
Done this before on other rigs and have never had this problem.
I need some fresh thoughts on this part of the job.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:07 PM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts

For the window binding, the front channel and window regulator may need to be re-positioned. You can also apply some silicone grease on the window run channel.

Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2020, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Happened to me as well. I finally loosened the guides a little bit and had the windows go up until it did it correctly, slowly tightening each bolt after each up and down to make sure I had it right. the guides are where it seems to bind.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:54 PM
GWT
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the graphics. My window is not coming out of the center channel, but I gave this a try anyway.
I have followed the manual for adjusting the window as well. The two procedures are somewhat at odds with one another. But, neither seems to make a difference. It also does not make a difference if I loosen all the fasteners so there is some play to allow the window to find the best path. The window still stalls out going up and sometimes going down. And, silicone grease likewise no improvement.

The regulator, with no window attached ascends and descends just fine. It takes significant muscle power to make it stall.

I'm wondering if the door has been damaged, and the window framing is no longer properly aligned. I haven't noticed any signs of that being the case.

I'm going to put it together and work on the passenger door. Also needs new regulator-motor.

At least the sun/moon roof seems to work just fine, and the rear windows [great, probably should not have mentioned that.].

One word of warning to anyone putting in new regulators: the threads for the attaching bolts are not very durable and 6 ft/lbs means 6 ft/lbs.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When the regulator stops moving, are you able to manual push it up? So, for example, does it seem like the regulatror needs help? Perhaps you got a defective one.

Or....maybe the voltage is not being supplied sufficiently. Put a volt meter on the power to the regular and see if it's for some reason just very low, which might mean a ground or rust or crappy connection.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:00 PM
GWT
Honda-Tech Member

Good thought on the voltage supply. I'll check that out.

The motor "just needs help", - needs it the most in the middle of the run.I think. And needs it up, and down somewhat.

Originally the window was just stuck, frozen. This is true for both front windows (yet to work on the passenger side). Cables on both sides were broken and tangled, damage at the motor side of the cable transport as well. But the motors still work, but the cable transport mechanism needs to be rebuilt. Buying new was an easy fix, I thought. Cardone product.

I've put that door back together for now, in its partially repaired state and will work on the passenger door.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That certainly sounds like weak voltage if it needs help, or a defective regulator (which is possible).
Old 11-20-2020, 07:23 PM
GWT
Honda-Tech Member

Just to follow-up regarding the pass. door. Regulator and motor replaced with similar results, although this window, while sluggishly straining, does much better than the driver door window.

When I have the moments, I'll get around to checking the voltage to the motors, as suggested. Other items of more concern at the moment.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After thinking about it when I did mine, I did notice it was all gross in the connector and the connector was a little oxidized from water getting into the door. After cleaning it thoroughly, it behaved much more like I expected when I put the new one in. At first it was sluggish (not as bad as your, it worked, just slow) until I did that. Then it was fine and has been for some time.