Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery (kinda along post)

Ok so i need a new battery its due by a year. Interstate to be exact. The cca's are 775 or so and then the ca is 825.

We have a mitsubishi v6 with the exact same cranking power for both. So i figure its the same exact battery so i took it out and put it in my accord then put the terminals on and it pops and my horn goes crazy, scares the living crap out of me so i take the terminals off and i try again adn same thing, so i unplug the horns and then put it on and no poping and i go to turn my car on and nothing, so i check fuses and i blew the 80A fuse and two 15's and a 7.5. Ones a condesnsor fan and the others i forgot and too lazy and too cold to go see

so i replace the 80A fuse and tried agian same exact thing. So i replace it again but this time just took the mitsubishi battery out and put in my old and hooked up everything and of course it didnt blow b.c the battery is dead lol, but i did try a samller battery from a nother car (i didnt try to start it) and everything worked, all lights , EVERYTHING electral worked..

So im kinda stumped.. My old battery and the mitsubishi battery have the same cranking amps for cca and ca. The are the same size shape, same sticker, they look EXACTLY the same, the only little diffrence are the nipples you put the termanals on, they seemed a little bigger i guess, b.c my termanls had slight trouble fitting and i kinda had to force it down to where it connects. The only one that gave me problems was the negative.

So any ideas why it would do this? i haev never touched anything electric except of course stero stuff, and replaced one wire that goes from the positive part of the battery to the fuse box. With a bigger gauge wire, i still have the old wire so if this i sthe problem tell me then ill glady replace it back to stock. Other then that never had a problem with this type of thing, ive always dissconnected my battery when i had to do something adn then reconnect it and it worked fine (when my battery was good)

Was wondering if even though it sthe same battery apperance wise if mabey one has more voltage? or something.. i dont know.. they look EXACTLY the same except the negative nipple seems a bit bigger lol i dont know if that make sa diffrence.. Like i said th eonly thing i have touched with battiers is that wire that goes to the positive to the fuse box, other then that i dont see what it could be.

thanks for any help

i would like to add the ifrst attempt with out thinking i put the positive on first then the ground.. then the second time i ground first then positive and both blew the 80A fuse and this is my first time every replacing the battery. I bought the car a year ago and it had this battery in there.