Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Another camshaft seal question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another camshaft seal question.

I have a 94 Accord EX (vtec)

I followed the guide on how to replace the timing belt. While I was there I replaced the camshaft seal. I have it all back together, and fired it up. It runs fine, but oil is POURING out of the seal I just replaced.

Can I check/inspect/replace that seal from the top, or do I have to take it ALL apart again with the timing belt?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Another camshaft seal question.

I believe you can inspect it with the valve cover and upper timing cover removed. The seal is probably not sitting right.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by nus_dogg
I believe you can inspect it with the valve cover and upper timing cover removed. The seal is probably not sitting right.
and if you're clever you can even pull the cam pulley without taking the belt off, giving access to the aledged leaky seal. if you have any doubts about your ability to do it without getting the timing off... safer to pull it all apart.

the seal: likely that the small spring that fits inside of the inner lip popped out durring installation. cheaper seals are more prone to it, but it can happed with good ones too. replacement is the best fix. although possible, i don't recommend trying to reinstall the spring in the seal. a new one is only a few bucks.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondamark35
and if you're clever you can even pull the cam pulley without taking the belt off, giving access to the aledged leaky seal. if you have any doubts about your ability to do it without getting the timing off... safer to pull it all apart.

the seal: likely that the small spring that fits inside of the inner lip popped out durring installation. cheaper seals are more prone to it, but it can happed with good ones too. replacement is the best fix. although possible, i don't recommend trying to reinstall the spring in the seal. a new one is only a few bucks.
Is it possible to remove the upper timing cover and start the car so that I can verify exactly where the leak is coming from?

I took a video of the leak last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNTLUly08rU

For reference, I'm standing over the driver side fender. The lower left in the video is the timing belt cover.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, you can remove the upper timing cover off and have the car running to inspect what's leaking.

Also, if the cam seal is brand new when you install it, you don't even have to remove it off the cam. Just make sure to have it's sitting straight up and re-install the rocker arm assembly over it then look and make sure it's not being push down by the rocker arm assembly where it'll sit weird and leak again. I've seen it done when I installed my Bisi Level 2 VTEC cam with a new seal as the rocker arm assembly was crushing the new seal. Had to readjust the seal and carefully install it again so it'll seal right.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

should of removed the cam cap and used a little red rtv like i suggested..................

same thing happend to me when i did my lsvtec, i learned the hard way. had 2 cams leaking. the dident leak at idle, but once i got on the highway and went to work they pissed all over the place