Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Annoying Squeaking Noise in Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Annoying Squeaking Noise in Suspension

Went to the JY Sunday and pulled a lower control arm and installed on drivers side. Instant change. No more squeaking on that side so that verified that it's the bushings gone bad. Will be buying some bushings and installing on both control arms soon. Just a update...
Old 08-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Issue resolved. It was the lower control arm bushings. Replaced and squeak is gone.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djkurious
Issue resolved. It was the lower control arm bushings. Replaced and squeak is gone.
Was there any way you would have been able to tell which bushings it were without replacing the arm?
Old 01-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish it was a way but I just replaced both while I was there. Next time I will replace the lower ball joints first, then go from there.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same annoying noise, turned out to be the strut/radius rod bushings. Was hard to pinpoint. But when I tore down the knuckle and strut assembly, I inadvertantly pushed down on the lower control arm, and it squeeked, and with the knuckle out of the way I could easily get my head in there and hear it. So, that pinpointed it for me. I sprayed some kroil(Liquid magic) on them, they shut right up. Will replace, if they start acting up again.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Trial User

hi, I am experiencing a squeak too, coming from my front passenger suspension.

I added 2 links to the sounds that I am hearing.

Sound 1 - Loud Squeak (While driving fast on a bumpy road or while driving fast and turning at the same time) : http://www.mediafire.com/view/jt86y8...204%20Copy.mp4

Sound 2 - Subtle Squeak (While driving slow) :http://www.mediafire.com/view/o3qa7e...ording%205.mp4

Can anyone confirm that this is the same sound that they were hearing? If not does anyone recognize this noise. Btw I just changed my front shocks, bump stops, bellows and upper control arm ball joints.

However this is a photo of my lower balljoint. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vi2saxbg8f...2018.23.46.jpg. It looks ripped. Could this be the problem?
Old 02-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tim73
I had this same annoying noise, turned out to be the strut/radius rod bushings. Was hard to pinpoint. But when I tore down the knuckle and strut assembly, I inadvertantly pushed down on the lower control arm, and it squeeked, and with the knuckle out of the way I could easily get my head in there and hear it. So, that pinpointed it for me. I sprayed some kroil(Liquid magic) on them, they shut right up. Will replace, if they start acting up again.
I had the same problem and followed the advice in this long post thread, except I haven't done struts or steering rack. No squeaks for three months. Now in the bitter cold its back with a vengeance.
I used quality replacement parts (Moog), replaced the lower BJ, the lower control arm mid and front bushings, stabilizer links, and wheel bearing on both left and right so sides might be matched. All items torqued to spec while loaded. What did I miss?? Did you spray in the throat of that LCA bushing?
Note: it definitely is temperature dependent. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If djkurious is experiencing this noise while at a standstill (granted hes turning the wheel to make it) how likely do you think its suspension bushings?? c'mon guys haha
Try holding the steering wheel all the way to the lock in one direction with the engine running and then releasing the wheel, i'd be curious to see what this squeak bullsh*t is all about then. You could be hearing your power steering pump (A faulty pressure relief switch). Another test would be to test load the engine: Set the parking brake, put it in drive, put one foot on the brake pedal and give it like 2 second hold of the throttle. If you have a 5spd...its a little different:Set the parking brake, put it in 1st and work the clutch over its engagement point(playing with the engine rpms through the clutch pedal and avoiding an engine stall), listening carefully for the squeak.

Also, try to describe this sound a little better...Is it metallic? Like could it be a small movement between metal parts? Does it sound more like rubber? Does this sound remain a consistent velocity and tone?

It could be motor mounts as well, a bad exhaust hanger/break in system?? OR you might want to start looking into the the steering rack.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoodUsername
If djkurious is experiencing this noise while at a standstill (granted hes turning the wheel to make it) how likely do you think its suspension bushings?? c'mon guys haha
Try holding the steering wheel all the way to the lock in one direction with the engine running and then releasing the wheel, i'd be curious to see what this squeak bullsh*t is all about then. You could be hearing your power steering pump (A faulty pressure relief switch). Another test would be to test load the engine: Set the parking brake, put it in drive, put one foot on the brake pedal and give it like 2 second hold of the throttle. If you have a 5spd...its a little different:Set the parking brake, put it in 1st and work the clutch over its engagement point(playing with the engine rpms through the clutch pedal and avoiding an engine stall), listening carefully for the squeak.

Also, try to describe this sound a little better...Is it metallic? Like could it be a small movement between metal parts? Does it sound more like rubber? Does this sound remain a consistent velocity and tone?

It could be motor mounts as well, a bad exhaust hanger/break in system?? OR you might want to start looking into the the steering rack.
GoodUserName -Thanks for a reply. It happens while in motion and at stop. It is loud at its worst. Sounds like groaning/creaking. I park in underground garage at work. After warming up all day (balmy 55 ), I hardly hear anything pulling out. On the way home at (20 - 65 mph) speeds can't hear much and car handles well. Soon as I exit to a stop (20 outside temp), can hear it as I slow to a stop, then louder as I turn the wheel and its binding a bit steering on the last mile. Pulling into the driveway, it's squeaking creaking groaning. Park the car with engine running, turning wheel lock to lock gives muted creaking. Stop the engine, I standing on the driver's door rocker and Bounce it. Can still hear the creak, but not as loud when in motion, etc. Too much information?? Now guess how sick I am of this f* problem.
Other stuff. Did a PS flush at last alignment, exhaust is fine. Also, compliance bushing replaced and oriented properly then (One was craked through)
Old 02-19-2015, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@HoopersGarage: Did you replace the upper ball joint/control arm? Groaning/creaking can be a symptom of a worn ball joint, i see you already replaced the lower.

Did you grease the compliance bushing when you installed it?

Have you replaced your sway bar bushings and end links?

When you turn the wheel while not in motion, the ball joints will definitely rotate so potential there; also, unless it's completely flat, you may get some relative movement in the compliance bushings and sway bar assembly.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Your gonna have to get a buddy to help you listen and diagnose where this sound is coming from. Ball-joints are encased in grease and rubber so its rare that they get dry enough to wear out and start creaking. I would jounce the suspension with a friend to try and pin point the issue. Something tells me to look into the upper control arm bushings, it sounds like you've replaced or eliminated everything else.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by masospaghetti
@HoopersGarage: Did you replace the upper ball joint/control arm? Groaning/creaking can be a symptom of a worn ball joint, i see you already replaced the lower.

Did you grease the compliance bushing when you installed it?

Have you replaced your sway bar bushings and end links?

When you turn the wheel while not in motion, the ball joints will definitely rotate so potential there; also, unless it's completely flat, you may get some relative movement in the compliance bushings and sway bar assembly.
masospaghetti- Thanks for a reply. I checked the upper arm bushings and BJ when I did the job in the fall. Used a needle dispenser to refill the upper BJs. Replaced the sway bar end links then, too. had to tear up pld one to remove it.
I'm glad you mentioned greasing bushings. I want to that but concerned that it mess up handling or torque. Do you place the grease in the bushing shaft and then reinsert the blot and torque under vehicle load weight? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoodUsername
Your gonna have to get a buddy to help you listen and diagnose where this sound is coming from. Ball-joints are encased in grease and rubber so its rare that they get dry enough to wear out and start creaking. I would jounce the suspension with a friend to try and pin point the issue. Something tells me to look into the upper control arm bushings, it sounds like you've replaced or eliminated everything else.
Thanks. I will check the uppers again. Do you grease/lube these bushing shafts on reassembly. The sound has to come from where movement occurs. Again suspension handing is fine.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The upper control arms come as an assembly so I'm not sure if you need to grease them. It certainly won't hurt to try.

The compliance bushings and sway bar bushings should both be lubricated though. I personally like using white lithium grease in the tub (not the aerosol). It's easy on rubber and plastic parts, unlike some heavier chassis-type greases.

The compliance bushings should have a nice even coat of grease around them, where they contact the frame.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:25 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind that aftermarket strut rod bushings require grease on them and in the subframe they reside in or it will squeak when going over bumps or up and down.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Keep in mind that aftermarket strut rod bushings require grease on them and in the subframe they reside in or it will squeak when going over bumps or up and down.
Just to clarify in case its not obvious - the radius rod bushings, compliance bushings, and strut rod bushings are all the same thing.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to clarify in case its not obvious - the radius rod bushings, compliance bushings, and strut rod bushings are all the same thing.
Thanks for stating the not so obvious, at least to me. The compliance bush is the big one fore in the LCA to crossmember. The strut, or wishbone bush is center on LCA. The rear bush attaches aft in crossmember. White grease on all three? Should I de grease threads b4 reassembly+loaded torque?
I hope to do tonight after heating the garage. We're having a brutally cold winter here.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure if greasing the lower control arm or strut bushings will do anything. If you look at their construction you'll see what I mean. The rubber is bonded to a metal sleeve on the outside and inside diameter, so there's no rubbing or sliding between the bushing and metal, or at least there shouldn't be. The rubber itself is deforming to allow for movement.

The radius rod bushings, on the other hand, sit directly inside the front cross member, and squeaking occurs when the bushings move relative to the cross member.

You are correct, though, that all bolts should be torqued to spec when dry threads and after the suspension is loaded.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure if greasing the lower control arm or strut bushings will do anything. If you look at their construction you'll see what I mean. The rubber is bonded to a metal sleeve on the outside and inside diameter, so there's no rubbing or sliding between the bushing and metal, or at least there shouldn't be. The rubber itself is deforming to allow for movement.

The radius rod bushings, on the other hand, sit directly inside the front cross member, and squeaking occurs when the bushings move relative to the cross member.

You are correct, though, that all bolts should be torqued to spec when dry threads and after the suspension is loaded.
Masospagetti and goodusername -
Sorry it took a few days to post an update. I greased the so called radius rod bushings, sound went away for ten miles then returned. I then used a mechanics' stethoscope to probe the front end. Loudest at link to LCAs and steering knuckle. I then disconnected the sway bars links at the LCAs and drove it around the block. No change so that rules out the whole stabilizer subsystem. So happens that I got a recall notice and will have dealer diagnose it for me tomorrow. Unless it's expensive I'll likely have them do the repair. More to come ...
Old 03-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hoopers Garage
Sorry it took a few days to post an update. I greased the so called radius rod bushings, sound went away for ten miles then returned. I then used a mechanics' stethoscope to probe the front end. Loudest at link to LCAs and steering knuckle. I then disconnected the sway bars links at the LCAs and drove it around the block. No change so that rules out the whole stabilizer subsystem. So happens that I got a recall notice and will have dealer diagnose it for me tomorrow. Unless it's expensive I'll likely have them do the repair. More to come ...
forgot to give my son Joshua the credit for turning the wheel and bouncing on the rocker whilst i moved the stethoscope. ...
Old 03-14-2015, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hoopers Garage
Well, after all this work and the advice from Masospagetti, GoodUserName and others, the resolution is UNKNOWN. At my last post, I said I was taking the 2006 Accord to the dealer for a recall notice and would have them inspect and maybe fix the squeak/groan/creak. Icy weather postponed my appointment one week and now the temperature around here is in the 50's. It stopped squeaking at higher temp, so it was silent during dealer servicing. They couldn't find any problem. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/thud.gif They suggested strut mounting coil insulators and other strut component, but couldn't guarantee it would eliminate the noise at $400 per strut. Well, God has killed the noise by bringing Spring for my springs. I will replace those strut components in the next few months, but the urgency is gone. I won't be able to verify the fix cures the noises until next winter now anyway! So if you can wait nine months for an answer .... All the best to those who offered help.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:07 PM
Trial User

Had that crazy squeak on my 90 Accord. Struts were leaking anyhow so replaced the complete strut again after replacing them 5 years ago (Lifetime warranty) So they were free. Same squeak. Noticed the ball joint boots were dried and cracked (139,000 miles)
Non greasable sealed units...So I stuck the spray tube from a can of spray lithium grease
into a small hole in the boots and instantly a quiet front end! Now I know its the ball joints for sure and not any of the many rubber bushings in that suspension.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:23 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by djkurious
this post is almost 6 years old but do you remember what brand you used for the bushing? If it's moog the you remember the part # I'm having the exact same issue right now on my 03 Accord Coupe
Old 02-09-2017, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

moog aint what it used to be imho.
their ball joints look pretty sketchy lately.
i'm running energy suspension, easy to replace
without special equipment (once you press the old
one out with giant c-clamp and adapter; free rental
with deposit at many part stores).
Old 06-07-2019, 06:09 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
If you installed coilovers already, I can't imagine them being blown already unless you bought some cheap ebay stuff. However, if it does it when going over speedbumps, then it could be.

Is it safe to assume you meant "coils" not "coilovers" ? If so, then it's probably the shock being blown afterall.
Okay after much reading it looks like change the car and come up with other symptoms

Quick Reply: Annoying Squeaking Noise in Suspension