Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Alternator/Battery Charging problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 10:56 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon4 Alternator/Battery Charging problems

Hi, this is my first post so here is goes. I'm sorry its a long read but its been a 2 week deal so please bare with me. I have a 1999 Accord vtec. I hit a bump a couple weeks ago didn't think anything about it but about 5 minutes later my battery, brake, and all doors open dash lights came o. I thought a short somewhere. It was late and I had to get up for work next am, this was a Sunday.
Monday get in my car no power. Check cables nothing. I go to get jump start. By the time I got back interior light was on. Car cranked right up. Put jump start I car drove to work without any problems except dash lights still on but no power loss or dimming of lights. Worked my normal 8 hr shift. Got to my car no power. Had to jump this time. Drove home 20.1 miles no problems except dash lights still on. Stopped at Oreilly's put on machine only thing showed up was Left and right faulty brake sensors. that was it. Drove home
Tuesday same thing jumped it cranked no problems. same things happened as did Monday but came straight home after work.
Wednesday no power but this time when negative cable put on post car alarm went off. did this repeatedly until alarm disabled. I was told to take post off of car when I got to work so I did. Got off cables on drove home no problems. Now its been 3 days and I've yet to charge battery.
Thursday same thing jump it back up about 10 feet car starts spitting and dies, won't crank like its out of gas. Jumpstart doesn't work. Neighbor has a fresh battery change car cranks right up no problems cables off and then on an drive home
Friday same thing. but I did charge my battery so fresh battery change no problems go to work. same deal just a different day. Well I get off I decided to stop at store after I get gas well I don't make it car dies.
get car towed because its late. Saturday charged battery all day.
Sunday car cranks fine go to O'reillys they say bad battery I buy a new one.
Drive all week doing what I did previous week only thing is charge battery every night.
Wednesday I go back to O'reillys, battery great but now alternator bad. Order one.
Was told I couldn't drive to work because alternator bad not 20.1 miles on just battery when I was using headlights all the way to work but I did so I thought O'reillys must be wrong. Took positive post off car died so went ahead and got new alternator installed it today.
Now car is idled up to high, dash lights are off except now cel is on now. I take core back to O'reillys tell them what is going on they check tell me battery is bad I said its not a week old then they say oh well alternator isn't working I said its a brand new one you just sold me lol They quickly change mind. I get them to check old alternator its good,
I get home check both battery's with 12v car charger they both read fully charged. I'm like wth is going on.
So know I am here with this problem. I'm thinking its a short or fuse. Can anyone shed some light on this to help me out. I'm out almost 900.00 and still having charging problems. I'm sorry its so long
thanks in advance
Doreen
Old 03-25-2016, 12:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Alternator/Battery Charging problems

It doesn't sound like the battery is being charged. First thing to check is the big fuse in the engine bay it might be blown.

If it is not blown then you need to get a multimeter and check across the posts with the car running and no accessories on. It should read 14.00 volts at the least. If it's good then you need to do a parasitic drain test to find what is draining the battery when the car is off.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:38 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Re: Alternator/Battery Charging problems

yes the alternator isn't charging the battery I 've already eliminated alternator with a brand new one. I'm stuck now on what else to try. I drove it a lil over 40 miles let it rest without charging battery, restated it 3 hours later cranked right up without any difficulty but battery charger says battery needs charging. Still idled to high, shows between 2-3 RPM at still. CEL still on but all other dash lights are off. I will check fuse hopefully that will fix it thank you for your fast response
Doreen Bellamy
Old 03-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Re: Alternator/Battery Charging problems

If the car is a 4 cylinder, check that Driver's side dash Fuse No. 6 (15A) is not blown. If that fuse is blown, the alternator will not charge. It feeds the Blk/Yel (IG) wire, which supplies the ignition input that turns on the alternator/regulator assembly.