Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Air conditioner condensor turning on and off non-stop!!!! HELP

Old 06-09-2004, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air conditioner condensor turning on and off non-stop!!!! HELP

I just added freon to my A/C system and right after I added it, the condensor turns on for like 3 seconds and the car almost stalls. Then when it almost stalls, the a/c turns off. It keeps happening and if I hold it at 2,000 RPM with the A/C on, it sounds like the condenser makes a grinding noise and the RPM drops to 1600. ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Farts in the shower

Default Re: Air conditioner condensor turning on and off non-stop!!!! HELP (omeara7)

Sounds like your compressor or condensor (I think they are the same thing) is taking a ****.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Air conditioner condensor turning on and off non-stop!!!! HELP (VRDrvr)

ha yea it does but how could adding freon suddenly mess w/ the condesor? The guy at autozone said i needed more which i did, according to the gauge i bought but that didn't help at all.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Farts in the shower

Default Re: Air conditioner condensor turning on and off non-stop!!!! HELP (omeara7)

Is your car a r134a or r12 type compressor?
Old 06-09-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Air conditioner condensor turning on and off non-stop!!!! HELP (VRDrvr)

r-134a
Old 06-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Farts in the shower

Did you refill with freon or r134a?

Freon is r12
Old 06-09-2004, 12:22 PM

both cans were r-134a.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:28 PM
Farts in the shower

Did you use the leak detector and make sure you filled it to the correct amount (didn't overfill etc)?

If you did everything correctly your compressor might be taking a ****
Old 06-09-2004, 12:30 PM

no there was no coloring in either of the cans but i did buy a gauge and it reads in the "normal" range so it's not overcharged. Is "taking a ****" a normal/temporary thing or does that mean my A/C is f***ed?
Old 06-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Farts in the shower

Well first thing I would do is check all fuses, vacuum lines etc and if nothing is found your compressor might be kicking the bucket.

You could also try turning up your idler...see if that helps it maintain. Your compressor might not be jacked, if you hold the rpms to 1-2K and turn on the ac does it blow cold air?
Old 06-09-2004, 12:34 PM

i think the air is cool when i hold it at 2,000 RPM but when the compressor engages, it makes a grinding noise so i'm not gonna drive w/ it on. How would recharging it blow a fuse though or make the compressor worse? It adds oil to it so if anything you'd think that would help it.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a silly guess... When you first had troubles, you didn't measure pressure until you had added the refrigerant.

If your ORIGINAL problem was a plugged expansion valve or something like that, you didn't help it by adding refrigerant. Now maybe you're having trouble with the compressor starting to seize, too.

btw; Your compressor is the belt-driven thing mounted alongside the engine. Your condenser looks like another radiator & it's mounted right up against the front of the radiator.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Air conditioner condensor turning on and off non-stop!!!! HELP (JimBlake)

that seems legit to me but I did check the pressure before and after I added. Before it was in the low range and after (now) it's in normal. It's kinda weird though: After the a/c has been off for a little while, allowing it too cool down, or warm back up, whichever it is, it runs perfectly and the air is nice and cold. But when the A/C had been running for about 5 minutes, the problem starts to happen. Could the clutch inside the compressor be worn and if so replaced? Also, any idea on the cost of a replacement? thanks for the help.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you measure high & low pressures before adding? Or just low?

Being plugged is a popular cause for AC to cycle real fast. The compressor comes on, the high side gets too high, the low side gets too low, & shuts off pretty quickly.

I don't know what it'll cost for a new clutch. But I wouldn't do that without really knowing if that's it.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by omeara7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just added freon to my A/C system and right after I added it, the condensor turns on for like 3 seconds and the car almost stalls. Then when it almost stalls, the a/c turns off. It keeps happening and if I hold it at 2,000 RPM with the A/C on, it sounds like the condenser makes a grinding noise and the RPM drops to 1600. ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sounds like it's overcharged. What's the high side presure?
Old 06-10-2004, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Air conditioner condensor turning on and off non-stop!!!! HELP (Chiovnidca)

Hm....I just checked the high side's pressure and it was at the beginning of the caution zone so I let some of the pressure out and when i did that the compressor seemed to stay on for a while but then eventually would start kicking on and off. I released some more pressure and now it seems to be running ok but the air isn't very cold.

Modified by omeara7 at 10:41 AM 6/10/2004
Old 06-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by omeara7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I released some more pressure and now it seems to be running ok but the air isn't very cold.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
What's the low side presure now? (after it runs a while)
Old 06-10-2004, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Air conditioner condensor turning on and off non-stop!!!! HELP (Chiovnidca)

the low side pressure is low now but the compressor stays on for a lot longer now before it starts kicking on and off. When it stays on the air is cool but not cold.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by omeara7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the low side pressure is low now </TD></TR></TABLE>
Presure, vacuum, do you have a number?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by omeara7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> the compressor stays on for a lot longer now before it starts kicking on and off. </TD></TR></TABLE>
What presure does the high side go up to before it kicks off? Need accurate numbers.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:06 PM

the low side goes up to around 30psi now, which is in the low range and the high side won't give me a reading now for some reason. The gauge just wont go in there deep enough to push in the little pin. It seems like the compressor runs until the pressure builds up too much so it turns off, and because it turns off, the pressure decreases so it turns back on.......over and over again.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by omeara7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the low side goes up to around 30psi now, which is in the low range and the high side won't give me a reading now for some reason. The gauge just wont go in there deep enough to push in the little pin. It seems like the compressor runs until the pressure builds up too much so it turns off, and because it turns off, the pressure decreases so it turns back on.......over and over again.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Does the condensor fan run?
Old 06-10-2004, 05:25 PM

condenser fan? both cooling fans turn on and I hear the compressor turn on/engage but it doesn't stay on very long. Also, at times the compressor makes a high-pitched grinding noise that increases in pitch as the RPM increases.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by omeara7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">condenser fan? both cooling fans turn on and I hear the compressor turn on/engage but it doesn't stay on very long. Also, at times the compressor makes a high-pitched grinding noise that increases in pitch as the RPM increases.</TD></TR></TABLE>
If the high side presure is too high it can cause the compresor clutch to slip. That could be your noise. If the high side presure is too high, my best guess is the expansion valve is bad. (i think someone else memtioned that before)
Old 06-10-2004, 05:55 PM

ok any clue how much a new expansion valve costs? Is it DIY material or no?
Old 06-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by omeara7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok any clue how much a new expansion valve costs? Is it DIY material or no?</TD></TR></TABLE>
If you have the equipment to evacuate and recharge the system, it's a diy job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air conditioner condensor turning on and off non-stop!!!! HELP