Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Advice on gaining low end torque

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on gaining low end torque

With my current parts as you can see in my signature (which isnt much yetttt ) i am currently trying to put more power to the wheels. I was wondering if any one can point me in the right direction for acheiving more low end torque. Im sure makin peak power at 6 grand is nice, but i would much rather reach peak torque in a good low to mid RPM range. Help is appreciated. Also would a different cam be better? I would think for more low end i would want a smoother cam profile with lest durration. The bisi cam i think is more for high end power . But any help is appreciated
Old 05-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: Advice on gaining low end torque

the simple answer... a turbo.

haha, no, i would guess you're wanting to do things without Forced induction. you're on the right track though, street cars are most fun when they ooze low-mid torque.

i can only speculate what might get you better low-end torque. longer intake runners are said to get better low end, but unless you're building a custom, one-off manifold, you've got the best you can get already.

i think you may benefit from freeing up power, as usual. let the motor breathe with the I/H/E. take it to a dyno, tune it for the low-end rather than top Hp numbers. this is where you'll find it i think.

one, suggestion... trans. gearing is as good as extra torque in a DD. set up the transimission right and you'll feel the torque!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advice from hondamark35. An adjustable cam gear can be used also to dial in a different power curve. Just a thought.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha yeaah i dont plan on going turbo. I find a high porforming all engine powerplant is much more respectable than slappin on a turbo. no offense just my opinion. But with what you have told me i was always looking into a new trans with better gearing, but my current 5 spd has very low miles and is a very solid reliable one from what i have heard about my car. Now as far is freeing up power etc. Are there actualy torque specific mods i can do? Everything you try to buy for your car online is always (10 hp gain !!!) but what about torque? I have heard a 4-2-1 header is also more optimal for acheiving more torque and power lower down in the power band...

advice and info appreciate
Old 05-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 4-2-1 is the more popular option for people wanting at least slightly more torque than a 4-1. Basically it gives you better flow (just like the 4-1) but the difference between them is that the 4-2-1 will provide more resistance (friction), which will result in a higher velocity.

The whole idea behind a higher torque exhaust is to have the highest velocity (force of gas) possible without restricting the flow so much as to lose potential power.

Another example is when picking piping size for the rest of the exhaust. You can go with a 3 inch pipe on a N/A engine, which will allow the exhaust gases to escape more easily. However, this will result in lower friction, which results in less velocity. This can sometimes make you more hp, but the low friction will lose you torque.

Usually 2.25 or 2.5 on a smaller N/A engine will net you the ideal amount of hp and tq. This allows for more friction, which gives you higher velocity, which translates to increased hp and tq.

People will sometimes say "you need to keep your backpressure" or "backpressure is necessary for torque". This is incorrect as the term backpressure refers to when exhaust gases actually turn around and are pushed back into the engine.

That is, of course, bad. What they mean to say is you need resistance.

Hope that helped at all
Old 05-12-2009, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsnorlax
... Now as far is freeing up power etc. Are there actualy torque specific mods i can do? Everything you try to buy for your car online is always (10 hp gain !!!) but what about torque? I have heard a 4-2-1 header is also more optimal for acheiving more torque and power lower down in the power band...

advice and info appreciate
keep in mind, hp numbers are calculated from the measurement of torque on the dyno.

(torque x rpm)/5,252=hp at given rpm.

someone double check my math, but i think that's right.

so if you make more hp, you've got to be picking up torque somewhere. a good thing to keep an eye out for are things like "...increase throughout the power band..." this is something that effects the torque curve generally.

you're right, 4-2-1 is great for mid torque. primary length, primary diameter, collector size... are all neccessary considerations when it comes to making power, or torque. most reputable manufactures will have crunched the numbers here for you. the idea is higher velocity without restricting flow too much. a motor built for torque in the low range, will typically perform poorly at high rpm. (i'm kinda thinking out loud now...) i would think high-lift, short-duration cam would be good for torque. stock valve size, stock exhaust diameter w/ smoother curves (ie, f22a4 exhaust or aftermarket with stock diameter)...

take a look at some dyno graphs guys have posted here and there in the forums. this may give you an idea of how their efforts have increased torque.