Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Adding an Oil Pressure Guage

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding an Oil Pressure Guage

I'm looking to install an oil pressure guage on my 99 Accord 4 cyl LX (VTEC). I was expecting that I could remove my stock oil pressure switch and replace it with an adapter and a mechanical AutoMeter oil pressure gauge. But in my internet research, I found an article on the VTEC that stated: "When the ECM energizes the VTEC solenoid valve to turn on the VTEC system, the ECM expects the VTEC oil pressure switch to open and see the voltage on the circuit. If there is a delay with oil pressure opening the switch, the ECM will set a trouble code and may limit fuel delivery, causing a driveability problem." This means that I need to leave the oil pressure switch installed! How/where would you install the gauge's NPT fitting at the block? Or is the "oil pressure switch" mentioned in the article specific to the VTEC solenoid valve and different from the oil pressure switch that activates your idiot light when the oil pressure does down?
Old 03-06-2005, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Adding an Oil Pressure Guage (scarecrow)

on the back of your block(Usally right above you oli filter) thers a oil pressure sending unit. All you should have to do is take that out and get like a half inch extention to cear a hose then plug the oil pressure gauge sendind unit in.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Adding an Oil Pressure Guage (HaOcNcDoArd96)

Do not run a mechanical unit into your cabin. Well, you can, but sometimes they do start to leak, and the autometer supplied line with the gauge will melt from the heat in a matter of minutes.
As for where to mount it, use the hole where the oil pressure sending unit it. I suggest getting a relocation kit from Fast-turbo.com (Stan). His kits come with all the adapters and enough SS line to get the sending unit for the gauge to the firewall so you can mount it. The big plus with that, is it takes the weight off that port on the block so it does not crack. With the added weight of the electrical sending unit, it has been known to sheer off a brass "T" or just snap that port on the back of the block. Just a little FYI for you...

Jason
Old 03-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The oil pressure switch for the dashboard idiot light is on the back of the block. This one doesn't have anything to do with the VTEC system.

There's another oil pressure switch for the VTEC system, it's got a green plug & it's located on the VTEC spool valve. Off the corner of the head, sorta near the throttle body.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Adding an Oil Pressure Guage (JimBlake)

Thanks to everbody for clearing this up!
And, FSTASNTZ, you reminded me of the time I installed a Stewart-Warner mechanical oil pressure gauge in my VW back in the mid 70's. And that line let loose and sprayed oil all over the inside of my car! Thanks for the reminder...I'll be buying an electrical gauge!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget... The sender for an electrical gauge is often heavier than the stock pressure switch. That makes it more likely to break off, especially if you use a tee & hang it even farther away from the block.

Better to have a hose coming from the block, then a tee with the switch & sender mounted on it's own bracket somewhere. (Like on the firewall?)
Old 03-07-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Adding an Oil Pressure Guage (JimBlake)

Thanks, Jim. I took your advice and sent an email to Stan @ Fast-Turbo.com asking about his relocation kit. Sounds like a great idea! Thanks again.