Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

'99 Honda Accord Randomly Stalling...Ignition Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Honda Accord Randomly Stalling...Ignition Switch?

My '99 Honda Accord started randomly stalling on me a few weeks ago. It stalled twice on me in one day. The first time I was accelerating from a complete stop and it started right back up. The second time I was coming to a stoop at a light. That time I had to try about 20 times before it started. Both times I was running the AC when it stalled but I turned it off after and the car ran just fine. Then I went about two weeks with no stalling. All of a sudden it stalled on me again. One day while coming to a stop at a light. It took about 20 tries to get it started again. The next day while accelerating from a stop light. The AC was on and it was raining hard. I turned the AC off. It started back up immediately. Then while accelerating onto the highway, it sputtered and stalled on me again. This time though, the dashboard lights flashed and there was a "crackling" noise. I started and I made it to a friend's, who "played" with it. He determined that the AC seemed to be draining power. The car ran just fine after that with the AC off. My neighbor is a former mechanic. He finally ascertained that the distributor cap was bad and it needed a tune up. He did the work and the car ran great. Then later that day, I started the car and it immediately stalled again with the dashboard flashing and "crackling". He was at a loss and started researching it. I have driven the car for a week now with the AC off without it stalling on me. It does, however, feel rough and seems to sputter at times like it's going to stall especially when slowing for a turn or stop. His research led him to believe it's the ignition switch. I checked and my car has already had the recall switch replacement. Does this sound like the ignition switch? I really can't afford a bunch of mechanics and repairs so I would really like to get some opinions.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: '99 Honda Accord Randomly Stalling...Ignition Switch?

Oh yeah, forgot to say that I've tried wiggling the key and it doesn't make the car stall.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:42 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its linked to the dash lights also flashing on and off its likely it is the ignition switch that is bad.