Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

99 Accord No Start, Immobilizer issue??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Accord No Start, Immobilizer issue??

Bought a 99 Accord LX 2.3 that had been sitting for awhile because it had a blown head gasket, at least that's what I was told was all wrong with it. Had the head resurfaced and when I put it back together I did new timing belts and waterpump while I was there. Double and triple checked all timing marks etc and couldn't get the car to start. Has compression, has spark and I can hear the fuel pump running and I even cracked the line loose at rail and it sprayed fuel. Car will not bust off. Even drained the tank and put fresh gas in it. I've sprayed starter fluid directly into the throttle body and still nothing, it just spins over. Well here is where it gets interesting. The green key light on the dash has worked normal just as it is supposed to the entire time since I've had the car and working on it. I started using a test light to double check power to injectors and fuel pump etc which they did have power and worked as should. Now all of a sudden when I insert the key into the ignition the green key light DOES NOT come on the dash cluster at all, doesnt light up at all, doesn't blink, I mean nothing. Tried cycling the key numerous times and nothing. I went to the local auto parts store and got another main relay hoping that was the issue and swapped it and still nothing. So now I don't get power to the fuel pump or injectors at all bcuz the immobilizer im assuming. I've checked fuses and all seem to be good. Need some help guys as Im out of ideas.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 99 Accord No Start, Immobilizer issue??

Originally Posted by JYarber18
Bought a 99 Accord LX 2.3 that had been sitting for awhile because it had a blown head gasket, at least that's what I was told was all wrong with it. Had the head resurfaced and when I put it back together I did new timing belts and waterpump while I was there. Double and triple checked all timing marks etc and couldn't get the car to start. Has compression, has spark and I can hear the fuel pump running and I even cracked the line loose at rail and it sprayed fuel. Car will not bust off. Even drained the tank and put fresh gas in it. I've sprayed starter fluid directly into the throttle body and still nothing, it just spins over. Well here is where it gets interesting. The green key light on the dash has worked normal just as it is supposed to the entire time since I've had the car and working on it. I started using a test light to double check power to injectors and fuel pump etc which they did have power and worked as should. Now all of a sudden when I insert the key into the ignition the green key light DOES NOT come on the dash cluster at all, doesnt light up at all, doesn't blink, I mean nothing. Tried cycling the key numerous times and nothing. I went to the local auto parts store and got another main relay hoping that was the issue and swapped it and still nothing. So now I don't get power to the fuel pump or injectors at all bcuz the immobilizer im assuming. I've checked fuses and all seem to be good. Need some help guys as Im out of ideas.
If you have a second key, try that one. I only mention this, as the guy who sold me my wife's car (a 2000 Accord), tried using the "valet" key (only unlocks the doors), and not the regular key (the chipped one). It wouldn't start for him using the valet key (only turned the engine over), but using the chipped key fired it right up. We've since had a 2nd "chipped" key made for me, since I have to work on it. Just a heads up.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Two things I will throw out there.

Get the e-brake override code for the immobilizer from the dealer - you might have to call a few before they give it to you over the phone.

Next, please recheck the main ground for the PCM - G101. Be sure it is clean and tight, with the head work and that it might have been missed. Pretty sure I have posted pic's of the location of G101 on the 6th gen's before, if you can't find it let me know.

Just me but the "valet" key will start the car....I drive an '07 Pilot as my daily and use it as I don't need/want the one of the other two with all of the buttons.....I've fine with using a key to unlock the door or pressing the button that locks all of the doors when I get out, but I'm a simple person......and what good is a valet key if it won't start the car, they go to park it, it won't start
Old 05-18-2016, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump. Still looking for some help.. Is it possible the ignition itself in the column went out all a sudden?
Old 05-18-2016, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where is the main ECM ground located?

Originally Posted by poorman212
Two things I will throw out there.

Get the e-brake override code for the immobilizer from the dealer - you might have to call a few before they give it to you over the phone.

Next, please recheck the main ground for the PCM - G101. Be sure it is clean and tight, with the head work and that it might have been missed. Pretty sure I have posted pic's of the location of G101 on the 6th gen's before, if you can't find it let me know.

Just me but the "valet" key will start the car....I drive an '07 Pilot as my daily and use it as I don't need/want the one of the other two with all of the buttons.....I've fine with using a key to unlock the door or pressing the button that locks all of the doors when I get out, but I'm a simple person......and what good is a valet key if it won't start the car, they go to park it, it won't start
Old 05-18-2016, 08:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not really sure why anyone should continue giving you advice when you completely and totally ignore any.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Not really sure why anyone should continue giving you advice when you completely and totally ignore any.
Please explain how I ignored? The ECU ground on the side of the intake manifold is hooked up and good. Still trying to get the E brake override code. So in the meantime I'm still trying other solutions. So if you have anymore negativity take that somewhere else. I know why I've lost all power to injectors and pump. The key isn't being recognized and the green key isn't coming on at all on the dash. So that's what I'm trying to get to
Old 05-21-2016, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What did the car do when you entered the e-brake code?

Here is a pic of G101.....EDIT: #16 in the pic
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2019, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey i have a 2000 honda accord se 4 cylinder and have been having the same issue with my immobilizer .I can be driving my car and it will shut off and the green key will blink off .But when i try to start back up . the key wont appear on the dashboard. I mess and tap with the transponder and the key pop backs up. I need help asap pls . I already had new keys programmed to a new iginitio lock cylinder. Thank you