Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

99 Accord DX 2.3 w/automatic looking for serious input

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Accord DX 2.3 w/automatic looking for serious input

I bought this car new and except for the timing belt, water pump replacements at every 90k I’ve done all of the maintenance and repairs myself as I’ve been working on cars since I was about 14. I own a very good selection of tools including torque and impact wrenches along with jack stands and anything else needed to create a safe work environment.

My son was 5 years old when it was purchased he’s now 21 and a senior at the university the car is his daily driver. Over the last three summers he and I have replaced the shocks, struts, rotors, axels, valve cover gaskets, assorted O’ rings and anything else it needed.

The car is all original except for the paint due to the crappy famous Honda clear coat so the car now sports a flat black paint job but everything works including the A/C, heat, radio and the interior is very clean and never been hit or wrecked. The timing belt, water pump etc. was replaced around 180k.

When he was home last month for Christmas break we had to put a new radiator in it as it began to leak around the upper gasket when the weather turned cold so we also replaced an assortment of belts and hoses. I’ve always changed the oil every 3-4k also drained and filled the transmission around 15k.

The car has 196k on it now and with the cold weather the rear main oil seal leak between the transmission and engine has really become more pronounced even though we haven’t had to add any oil between changes it concerns me a great deal. I’ve watched a few videos on the repair but it’s not something I have any experience with so I’m not sure I want to tackle it.

Basically a $1,200 dollar car in need of a $600 dollar repair job if I have to pay someone to do it. My wife and I were hoping to get another year out of this car then at graduation give him the 2014 Civic coupe we have which means we’ll have to buy another.

Could I install the new rear oil seal myself? Or should I keep putting money into fixing this old car? Or is it at the end of its life?

-- Mark
Old 01-24-2016, 12:33 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: 99 Accord DX 2.3 w/automatic looking for serious input

Originally Posted by N0mad54
Could I install the new rear oil seal myself? Or should I keep putting money into fixing this old car? Or is it at the end of its life?

-- Mark
The only tricky part would be lifting the trans into place if you do not have a trans jack.

If you click on the link in my sig 'Remove/Install AT' it will be very similar to your car, but there are differences in the chassis and trans. 'CB'(90-93) and 'CD'(94-97) are very similar, where as the 'CG'(98-02) cars have a different rear suspension and your AT trans has more sensors/shift solenoids.

Rear main seal is only ~$7. If you have a weekend and a set of decent tools you should be able to do it.
I would highly recommend beg/borrowing/buying a transmission jack. The HF unit I used has served me well for an outlay of ~$70 if that.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MAD_MIKE
The only tricky part would be lifting the trans into place if you do not have a trans jack.
Thanks for the reply Mike I believe I can get my hands on a trans jack either borrow or purchase. Are there any special tools needed to press the seal into place.

The first chance i would have to do it is when he comes home for spring break second week of March.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:04 AM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

There are rear main seal tools to install just the seal, a large screwdriver can prise the old one out. However it would be ideal to drop the oil pan and remove the rear cover

(which the seal is pressed into) to make sure the seal is seated properly. It is not supposed to be bottomed out. There is a chamfer on the rear cover and a chamfer on the seal, they need to meet up. Driving the seal all the way in can deform it and it will leak.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Honestly, if you are only looking to get another year out of this car i wouldn't bother replacing the seal at all. keep the oil level topped up (though you said it doesn't use much) and put some cardboard or oil absorbent material under the car when it's in the driveway/garage to minimize stains.

on the other hand, if you think you may keep it a little longer and just really enjoy taking things apart (i know i do!) i think MAD Mike said it right.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondamark35
Honestly, if you are only looking to get another year out of this car i wouldn't bother replacing the seal at all. keep the oil level topped up (though you said it doesn't use much) and put some cardboard or oil absorbent material under the car when it's in the driveway/garage to minimize stains.
HondaMark, This could be a plan I mean it's not like the Accord DX is a collectors item.

Thanks