Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

98 honda accord cannot start

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 honda accord cannot start

I have a honda accord. it got overheated on the highway because one of the pipe suddenly leak the coolant. So they replace the head gasket, thermostat, timing belt, water pump. At the first one month, it runs fine. And then the engine start vibrating a lot when I start the engine. Then I got a engine check light on, it is cylinder 3 misfire. They switch the fuel injector 3 and 4. And it is still vibrating a lot. but there is no engine check light on. After a while, when the car is cool, I can start the engine normally. but when it is hot, I cannot even start the engine. It keeps vibrating, the rotate speed is low and then stopped. the coolant went out very quick. So I went to them, they just adjust the idle. The same problem happened again. They asked me to find a second an opinion. I went to another shop, they found a lot of oil inside the distributor and leak in the head gasket and the radiator., so they replace the distributor and the distributor wire. but the same problem happened again. Does the leak in the radiator affect the engine start? or it could be just the head gasket? I am really upset, i already spend 2k in this car, and it still give me problem. Ask for suggestions.

If anyone in Boston area, I would like you to take look at it. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 honda accord cannot start

Ask for suggestion
Old 09-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Soo the radiator has a leak? And you keep driving it around knowing that?
Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quit taking it to the morons that you're currently allowing to touch your car. They just want to take your money.

You need to do a compression test. If it fails the test it's time for a jdm f23a.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bairdandrew77
Soo the radiator has a leak? And you keep driving it around knowing that?
It is not important leak, but it used to be good. i think they broke it. and I cannot say this too them. Too bad
Old 10-01-2013, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Quit taking it to the morons that you're currently allowing to touch your car. They just want to take your money.

You need to do a compression test. If it fails the test it's time for a jdm f23a.
But they give me a year warranty, so I have to take to them. Next time, never go the the towing company's repair shop.

Quick question: has the compression test anything to do with the radiator leak? they keep telling me if my rediator is leaking they cannot sure it is the head gasket's problem. Also, what is "jdm"? Thanks.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

by the way, what is the normal pressure inside the engine?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone can answer my question?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After searching on Google for a little bit, it seems people get between 175 and 220ish. You mainly just have to make sure the numbers are very close to each other all the way across. Did you already do a compression test? Why do you think they broke the radiator?

Also, JDM means "Japanese Domestic Market". Pretty much saying the engine was in a Japanese vehicle
Old 10-02-2013, 10:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It's very easy to do a compression test. The kit is $20 and just screw it into the cylinder after pulling the spark plugs. Then be sure to remove the "ecu fuse 15a" in the engine fuse box under the hood. And crank until the gauge stops going up. Write down the numbers for each cylinder and report back.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After searching on Google for a little bit, it seems people get between 175 and 220ish. You mainly just have to make sure the numbers are very close to each other all the way across. Did you already do a compression test? Why do you think they broke the radiator?

Also, JDM means "Japanese Domestic Market". Pretty much saying the engine was in a Japanese vehicle
i didnt do the compression test myself. the second mechanic did, and he found the head gasket leaking. but the first one doesnt want to admit this.

the radiator has a big crack beside the cap, and at first it's good, i went to the first shop several times, at last it becomes leaking, so i think they broke it.

any suggestion how to deal with the first?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's very easy to do a compression test. The kit is $20 and just screw it into the cylinder after pulling the spark plugs. Then be sure to remove the "ecu fuse 15a" in the engine fuse box under the hood. And crank until the gauge stops going up. Write down the numbers for each cylinder and report back.
Thanks, i will do this.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jerodli
i didnt do the compression test myself. the second mechanic did, and he found the head gasket leaking. but the first one doesnt want to admit this.

the radiator has a big crack beside the cap, and at first it's good, i went to the first shop several times, at last it becomes leaking, so i think they broke it.

any suggestion how to deal with the first?
if your head gasket is leaking and your overheating then you need to replace the head gasket which you said a mechanic told you.
except this time take it to a reputable shop. maybe one that specializes in Hondas. you may pay more but its worth it. you can save money and go with a diy-er who has completed this job once or twice before with success if you can find one.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The first mechanic already replaced my head gasket, it is a big shop and not cheap. And they give me one year warranty. i dont want to spend extra money on the same parts.

do u think i can hire a lawyer to get the money back? any suggestions?

Last edited by jerodli; 10-03-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no comment on the legal advice.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just want to find the best solution. It is frustrated to deal with such situation.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If he gives you a one year warranty on his work, I think the warranty should also cover parts. Maybe have the second mechanic give you a paper or picture of the results, or any kind of proof that it's bad. And if you're able to find another mechanic willing to do a compression test for free or cheap, it's always good to have a second/third opinion.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If he gives you a one year warranty on his work, I think the warranty should also cover parts. Maybe have the second mechanic give you a paper or picture of the results, or any kind of proof that it's bad. And if you're able to find another mechanic willing to do a compression test for free or cheap, it's always good to have a second/third opinion.
Thanks for the suggestion.

yes, it covers the part and labor. the second gives me a document that says the head gasket leaks.they talk to each other, but the first one didnt want to admit it. they insist if you want to do the compression test on head gasket, you have to fix the radiator first. is this right?

so i think they dont want to redo it. i will ask the third to do the test and keep the proof to argue with them. and it's frustrated to deal with this.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jerodli
Thanks for the suggestion.

yes, it covers the part and labor. the second gives me a document that says the head gasket leaks.they talk to each other, but the first one didnt want to admit it. they insist if you want to do the compression test on head gasket, you have to fix the radiator first. is this right?

so i think they dont want to redo it. i will ask the third to do the test and keep the proof to argue with them. and it's frustrated to deal with this.
That doesn't sound right. I really don't understand see why the radiator would need to be fixed to do a proper cyl comp test, so hopefully somebody here's able to give you a definite answer. Either way, the radiator really needs to be replaced/fixed if it is bad
Old 10-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That doesn't sound right. I really don't understand see why the radiator would need to be fixed to do a proper cyl comp test, so hopefully somebody here's able to give you a definite answer. Either way, the radiator really needs to be replaced/fixed if it is bad
yes, you are right. anyway i have to fix the radiator.

However, the first mechanic told me that if you want to test the head gasket leaking, you have to fix the radiator. I am not sure if this is right. Can the coolant leaks into the engine? if the coolant can leaks into the engine, is it because the bad head gasket? how we can test the coolant leaking into the engine? is it through the cylinder compression test or cooling system test? because I can smell the burning coolant at the exhaust.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

You need to do a compression test.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I totally agree that the compression test is the answer......at the same time fixing the rad leak is needed.

So a different way of going about this. Fix the leak, since it needs to be done anyway.

Then the shop will have to honor the warranty....done. If you don't fix the rad leak, the shop at some point might say that the leak caused the engine to overheat again and that is what caused the head gasket to fail again.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lost Again
While I totally agree that the compression test is the answer......at the same time fixing the rad leak is needed.

So a different way of going about this. Fix the leak, since it needs to be done anyway.

Then the shop will have to honor the warranty....done. If you don't fix the rad leak, the shop at some point might say that the leak caused the engine to overheat again and that is what caused the head gasket to fail again.
Thank you for the suggestion, I have already replaced the radiator.

let's wait for the shop's response.