Print Wikipost

96 Honda Accord too much smoke at the exhaust when starting up

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 96 Honda Accord too much smoke at the exhaust when starting up

Hi,

Need help, my car are blowing a lot of thick white smoke coming from the exhaust after starting up it will last for about 3 mins. and when the engine gets hot it goes back to normal meaning no more smoke can be seen. Oil is in the right level as oil change has been done two weeks ago. Is there possibly an oil leak that goes to the piston? I just check the spark plug and I notice a presence of oil on it, could it be the oil seal issue? Please help.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 96 Honda Accord too much smoke at the exhaust when starting up

what about ur distributor?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is it in all your plug chambers or just one?
I'd start by switching out the pcv valve. may be your tube seals if not that, but the pcv valve can stop working proper and spew oil into the chamber, happened with mine, i swapped it out and have had no issues so far.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: 96 Honda Accord too much smoke at the exhaust when starting up

Thank you for your immediate response appreciated that, We notice that all the chamber has oil, we remove all the oil and cleaned everything, chamber,tube, sparkplug, etc. We check again after two days and no oil can be seen, We will try about tthe PCV valve and check the distributor.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How is the coolant level? If the oil is still full, then it could be coolant that you are burning.

The oil in the plug chamber is not getting into the cylinder - don't sweat that.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Then there can be the vale stem seals. If they are leaking then small amounts of oil can get into the cyl's while it sits.

Please check the other stuff as well, a blown head gasket is not something to ignore. Compression test, leak down, ect.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where exactly in the exhaust is it coming from? This is the most important question, imo.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yea i didnt catch that part about the thick white smoke, you could have a blown head gasket unfortunately, which will cause oil and coolant to get on the spark plugs, or in the chambers to be exact. that must be fixed immediatly, do not drive it. you may want to take it to a shop for a compression test. a blown head gasket is not an easy fix. it will take about 10-12 hours of straight work if its your first time. you also need to see if your head needs refacing once you get it off. its a very exspensive and time consuming task. if your car is worth less than $1500 i would just cut your losses now and get another one.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: 96 Honda Accord too much smoke at the exhaust when starting up

It is coming out from the exhaust pipe of course after the muffler, I already check the PCV valve and it has no problem as well as the distributor, the PCV valve is working, and so far when I clean it, I did not see any presence of coolant in there, just an oil, anymore idea what causes this problem, by the way what will causes the head gasket to blown?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a perfect world a head gasket should last the life of the engine.
However, reasons for headgasket failure include detonation (engine knock) unlikely in a low compression motor like the F22.

Overheating. The heads and block expand when then engine overheats, and with nowhere to go the weakest part of the system tends to fail. The gasket is crushed and deformed, and the cylinder heads tend to warp. If the overheating is severe enough the engine block mating surface itself will deform, and in some cases will crack.

Bad coolant, the idea behind coolant is not only to cool the vehicle, but to inhibit corrosion and degradation of the coolant passages inside of the engine. In the presence of oxygen engine coolant will become corrosive to aluminum, and if not changed out will eventually become corrosive anyways. The tends to eat away at the gasket, as it is made out of steel. The less reactive aluminum (all aluminum becomes coated with aluminum oxide the minute it touches air, this thin film is not particularly reactive, and is why aluminum doesn't oxidize on it's own like steel or Iron). Eventually the gasket will fail.

Added to this category is electrolysis. If your coolant become electrically charged it can eat away at any metal inside the engine. This happens due to poor/broken grounds usually.
Improper installation. This can include a number of things. Installing a head gasket with warped/damaged mating surfaces. Damaged head bolts, improper torquing or tightening sequence. This will cause premature or sometimes immediate gasket failure.

Also, the same symptoms of a blown headgasket that you are describing can also indicate a cracked engine block.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if its thick white smoke, its coolant. the smoke comes out because it is burning there at the spark.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't sweat it, all old accords do this. My 95 with 231k does it all the time after a cold start. It's just old valve seals that aren't sealing until the engine warms up. That's why it stops after a few minutes of running. You can fix it by replacing the valve seals.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha im a tard, i didnt read the part about it going away after 3 minutes ^^^this is good advice. see my car does the same thing, cold starts, lil bit of smoke, after it warms up, it goes away....i just make sure to warm up my car before i drive it. no problem..
Old 11-12-2010, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK LISTEN UP!!

If it is White smoke and smells sweet it is Coolant. If it has a blue tint and smells like burnt oil guess what...its oil.

Check your coolant level. If it is milky or you can see oil in it you have a blown headgasket.

Oil in the spark plug tubes has nothing to do with the head gasket. It is the spark plug tube seals on the valve cover. Those are an easy fix and are cheap.

If you replace those and you are still burning oil (if that is what you are burning) then you probably have bad valve seals.

You can drive the car with a blown head gasket. Its not good but you can do it. I would get it fixed asap. Make sure that the head has not warped.