Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1991 Accord LX 5-Speed Vibration Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Accord LX 5-Speed Vibration Issue

Hi guys. Having trouble with my 1991 Accord, and not interested in paying $90 for the local Honda guys to tell me stuff I already know. Can somebody offer some suggestions? Here goes.

My Car: 5-Speed LX (F22A1) with 308,000 miles on it. Timing belt replaced at 270,6XX. Original clutch. Original engine/transmission. Original motor mounts and CV axles. Tires have about 10,000 more miles on them.

The vibration I am experiencing has the following traits:

1: Occurs at all speeds.
2: Most noticeable at lower speeds and when going straight.
3: Occurs through all gears and whether or not the car is in neutral, accelerating, slowing down, or braking.
4. Seems to be a pulsating motion, like it is connected to a part on the car that rotates and has a bad, warped or flat side.
5. Does NOT occur at idle when stopped.
6. Does NOT get noticeably worse at higher speeds.
7. Steering wheel vibrates noticeably and the motion seems to be coming from the front end.

I have considered the following possibilities:

1. CV axle is reaching the last stages of its life. The right boot is cracked and I bought the left and right replacement axles yesterday. The grinding during an accelerating turn has been happening since I got the car (258,000), and this continues, which makes me think the new problem is unrelated.

2. Motor mounts are shot. Noticed the rear one was degrading a year back, will have to check the front and see.

3. I bent a wheel or shot a tire weight. Seems unlikely.

Any ideas? Would be very helpful if someone could point me in the right direction... Thanks!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1991 Accord LX 5-Speed Vibration Issue

It could be the motor mount. I would check your #3 suggestion, too. Rotate your front wheels to the back and see if you notice any difference. I had a similar problem, and it ended up being bad tires (of all things). Keep us updated.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check tires for broken belts, this would give you a vibration at all speeds.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jmb106jr
Check tires for broken belts, this would give you a vibration at all speeds.
Thanks so much for your advice! The shaking rapidly worsened and I ended up taking it to a tire shop. My left turn into the parking spot just happened to expose the bald spot that had eluded me for the previous week...

The guy came to get my VIN so he could bring it in and then told me not to bother. Next time, I'll remember to get a buddy to pull my car forward slightly so I can check different spots on my tires. It is a little tougher alone!

So, the serious blonde moment: I got the Accord two years ago and did not realize that the Michelins were made in 2004. It's about time to get these off the road...going to grab some Kumho EcoSolus 100,000 mile tires. Thanks to all, you all helped! Everyone's advice was right in line with what was wrong...

I will definitely be returning to this forum to talk about the glories of Red Sexy! She rides on.