Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

95 Accord sudden misfire, loss of compression (vacuum!) - car sat for a while

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Accord sudden misfire, loss of compression (vacuum!) - car sat for a while

I have a 95 Accord with C27 6cyl. It had sat for a while before I bought it.
I cleaned it up & drove it around for a couple days. Then went out for a drive and there was loss of power and excessive smoke.
By removing plugs one-by-one, I determined that the misfire was on cyl #3. Has spark and injector seemed to be getting signal. Compression test indicated NO compression. Put 2 ounces of oil into cylinder & let sit for a while -No luck. 2oz of ATF down cyl, let sit overnight -No luck. Also put an ounce of Seafoam into cylinder with same result.
I could hear the air when I turned engine over, seemed like there was some compression so I removed the schrader valve from compression tester hose and started engine with gauge attached - still read NO compression. Removed gauge, leaving hose on and found that the air sound was a vacuum rather than compression!
Don't really have the fittings to connect manifold gauge to measure vacuum but don't see any reason to waste time with that anyway.

While the car seemed to be running OK when I first got it up and running, I did notice a varnish smell -but there was not the huge amount of smoke that is now present.
I also put some compressed air into the cylinder (30-40LBS) and it is not flowing straight through.
Any suggestions? Seems like it could be a valve issue.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!
Old 08-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Accord sudden misfire, loss of compression (vacuum!) - car sat for a while

Looking around on the web I found this video, entitled "How To Diagnose Sticky Engine Valves" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI5bBV0ZFek
Of course the exhaust should be continuously "pushing" exhaust gases out, so a piece of paper should not flap in and out when covering the exhaust. My 95 accord is flapping in/out, indicating a valve problem (as I suspected). To confirm I also did the test on my 05 accord which had no "flapping" in/out, just out.

I know some of you who do this work for a living will laugh at this - I think it's a pretty good test!

Thx.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 95 Accord sudden misfire, loss of compression (vacuum!) - car sat for a while

You need to do a leakdown test to confirm where the issue.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

You might want to confirm you have a well functioning compression tester, having compression low to none is rare.
Smoking excessively means there must be oil getting into the cylinders, that would be either bad valve guide seals or bad rings, since you have little compression I would say that you have stuck rings. It may also be a good idea to check the timing, if it has jumped it could have damaged your valves, causing your lack of compression.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very sorry that I didn't post the solution to problem -It's a weird one (to me anyway).
After removing the valve cover to check out the suspect valve, I immediately noticed that one of the rocker arms was laying down under the cam!
I put it all back together and tightened the cam bearings to spec and...
Running on all six!
Strangest thing I have ever seen. Has anybody seen this before. Note that the car sat for a few years so it may have taken a while to get oil pressure built up???
Will be interesting to hear if this has happened to anybody else.
DX
Old 07-14-2016, 12:57 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never heard of this before. Was the car worked on any time before this ?