Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

95 Accord LX won't start????

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Accord LX won't start????

Sorry if this is too long, but I want to give as much information as I can so maybe someone out there can let me know what is going on.

I have a 1995 Honda Accord LX 2.2L non-VTEC automatic transmission with 280+K miles. The most recent work I have had done to it was done in 2012, when I had the timing belt, water pump, and all oil seals replaced. Since, then I have had no issues at all, until today. My wife went to take my car to run some errands when it would not start. I went outside and it would turn over like normal, but no kicks or sputters, and it would not crank. I noticed that when I turned the key to the “ON” position all the dash lights would come on, but the Check Engine Light would not turn off, and I did not hear the normal click from the relay. Also, the D4 light would flash. I did some reading on the internet and found that it could be my Fuel Pump Relay Switch, but I wanted to check the spark just to rule that out. When I pulled the number one plug there was some oil in the spark plug cavity so I cleaned off the end of the spark plug wire and placed a screwdriver into the plug wire. I could not get anything to spark unless I actually placed the shaft of the screwdriver onto a bolt, and then I would barely see a tiny spark. So, I tested the number two plug. It too had some oil in the plug cavity, but when I went to crank the car with the number two plug wire off, the car started. I replaced the number two plug and the car idled normally. I let it run for several minutes then I turned it off and tried to start it again…no luck, so I removed the number two wire and tried to crank it, and it started again. Since, this was a Sunday evening and the parts store was about to close I went and purchased some new plugs, wires, distributor cap, and ignition coil. I figured I needed to have a tune-up anyways, and while I was there I bought a new Fuel Pump Relay Switch. I returned home, replaced the Fuel Pump Relay Switch, tried to start the car, but the car still had the same symptoms and would not start. I then replaced the plugs, wires, ignition coil etc, and tried to crank the car…it still would not crank. I turned the key to the off position in frustration, but thought to give it one more try. When I turned the key this time I heard the fuel pump relay “click” and the check engine light turned off. I turned it over and it fired right up. I drove it around the block, turned it on and off a few times and everything seems to be working right now?

My question is this….do I have something else going on that could have caused these issues? The only thing I can think is that when I disconnected the battery that it reset the computer and cleared out whatever was going on. Could it be an ignition switch? Is there any other electrical relays I should consider? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:33 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: 95 Accord LX won't start????

If the D4 light was blinking there was a code present. If you pulled the power then you have lost the code. It would have aided in locating the potential problem.

If there is oil in the spark plug tubes, you will need to replace the spark plug tube grommets.