Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

New to the 1990 accord got a issue with it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the 1990 accord got a issue with it.

My brother was given a 1990 auto accord LX. We got it running today (distributor was bad) well I put it into revers and it was fine. Backed out with no problems other than the flat tire (car has been sitting for 9 months) Got the tire changed and went for a test run. I put it in D4 and gave it gas. It felt really sluggish and would barely go. I figured the breaks were hanging up a bit from the rust on them. After a few miles it still didn't fell right. At a red light I shifted it into 1 and the car felt fine and picked up speed great. I shifted into 2 and it felt good. then to D4 and at 50mph it was ok. hit another red light and left it in D4 and it felt sluggish again. It almost feels like its not shifting. If I leave it in D4 and just keep on the gas it will continue to rev up but not shift(couldn't really go fast no tag or insurgence. We just needed to get it to my house.)

I checked the trans fluid and it looked good. Is there anything else I can check or any tips to figure this out? thanks
Old 01-17-2009, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New to the 1990 accord got a issue with it.

Hmm... possibly a bad shift valve, or shift circuit? In an auto trans. the transmission shifts by the fluid pressure being directed to a shift valve, then to the corresponding shift circuits, and then to the clutches and servo's that engage planetary gearsets to create a shift.

If your able to control the shift manually then the manual valve (the valve that is directly connected to your shift lever, should be in good working condition). If it is still unable to shift on its own (as it is in your case), then I would suspect the shift valve that is controlled by the transmission itself. Also if it shifts fine (when you manually shift it), then the gearsets and clutches themselves internally must be good.

I drive a '91 accord with a manual (thank god, lol) so I am rather unfamiliar with the auto trans for this car. Anyway, the shift valve in any automatic transmission (regardless of make, model) is either controlled by rather complex hydraulic/mechanical circuits, or electronically with solenoids.

If the transmission is controlled electronically (again sorry, im not sure on these transmissions whethere their electric or not), then its possible that 1 or more solenoids may have failed. When solenoids do fail they can cause the transmission to do qwerky things such as go from 4, to 4, to 3, and back to 4 (as opposed to 1, 2, 3, 4). A good service manual for your car should show shift charts. If you drive your car and can pay attention to the order of gears that it goes through from a dead stop to cruising speed, then you can compare the shifts to a shift chart, and if there is a problem it is possible to determine which shift solenoid has failed. Anyway I apologize for the rather confusing post as auto trans are easier worked on than explained.

If your transmission is shifted non-electronically, only with the hydraulic circuits internally, then there may be an internal problem and the trans will most likely need an overhaul.

I hope this LONG post helps.. lol, anyway if you can post back with more information that would greatly help if you can (like which gears it switches through on an acceleration from dead stop to full speed IE 65MPH).
I'll try to find a picture of a shift solenoid chart to explain- since I think this will be very usefull in your diagnosis. I would put my money on the shift solenoid circuits right now with the information you gave me so far, assuming the fluid is good and full.

Last edited by AccordInTheMaking; 01-17-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 90crxdriver
My brother was given a 1990 auto accord LX. We got it running today (distributor was bad) well I put it into revers and it was fine. Backed out with no problems other than the flat tire (car has been sitting for 9 months) Got the tire changed and went for a test run. I put it in D4 and gave it gas. It felt really sluggish and would barely go. I figured the breaks were hanging up a bit from the rust on them. After a few miles it still didn't fell right. At a red light I shifted it into 1 and the car felt fine and picked up speed great. I shifted into 2 and it felt good. then to D4 and at 50mph it was ok. hit another red light and left it in D4 and it felt sluggish again. It almost feels like its not shifting. If I leave it in D4 and just keep on the gas it will continue to rev up but not shift(couldn't really go fast no tag or insurgence. We just needed to get it to my house.)

I checked the trans fluid and it looked good. Is there anything else I can check or any tips to figure this out? thanks
There is a component within the transmission case called the throttle valve (TV) which is operated by a cable which runs between the throttle body and a lever on the transmission case.
This is the valve within the valvebody which controls and commands downshifts and subsiquent upshifts.
If it sticks (which it would appear your's is) it will hinder / deny an upshift.

What happens is that this valve sticks in the applied position; effectively telling the trans that the gas pedal is completely floored.
I had three of these. One responded to Honda's recommended Tri-fluid change proceedure. The other two required Trans flushes before they would respond correctly.

The other condition you relate is from the transmission starting off in either second or third. When you come to a stop it's supposed to shift down until it's finally in first (yours isn't).
It's all related

P
Old 01-18-2009, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thanks for the help.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 90crxdriver
Ok thanks for the help.
keep us posted
Old 01-22-2009, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haven't had time to even look at it. Been really busy with work. I'm going check it out tomorrow and check to see if theirs anything I can do to it. I can't afford to take it to a shop right now so if I can't fix it myself it may be a while before it gets fixed. Plus with the front end barely hanging on I cant drive it anyway. But it was free so thats no big deal.

But I will keep you updated.