Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

94 Accord Lifting suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 94 Accord Lifting suspension?

I would like to have a little more clearance under my stock 94 accord but I'm not quite sure where to start, or if it's even possible. What do you think?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 94 Accord Lifting suspension?

why??? you're not trying to fit 24's on it are you? if you just want to lift it a little, you may be able to install v6 front springs (if you have a 4 cyl) and some rear wagon springs. I don't know what the rates are, but i would think they are higher.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:31 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Stiffer springs and new struts will help.

EX suspension components on a DX will also raise it up
Old 06-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Trial User

I am driving a lot on forest roads and just need a little room for rocks and uneven roads. Will the EX suspension line up on the LX? and would I be able to just replace the springs from the EX?
Old 06-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe get a different car?
Old 06-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Trial User

I want my car to go where no accord has gone before. Well, until I can afford to buy a nice 1960 FJ Cruiser to restore.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's an accord. EX springs will be no different than stock LX springs. The only difference between EX and LX suspensions are a 25 mm front say vs a 22 mm sway. Same double wishbone, same brakes etc.

Stiff spring will not help, at least not any aftermarket springs you can find for an accord. They are all intended to lower the vehicle.
You need springs with a similar spring rate to stock, but a LONGER compressed length. If they are longer when compressed, they will raise the car. If they are smaller when they are compressed, they will lower the car. You are looking at custom springs. you can also increase the spring rate, while keeping the same uncompressed length. Higher spring rate, makes it harder to compress,= longer compressed length= higher ride height. But you will have a harsher ride.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:52 AM
He knows where you live!

Originally Posted by chikin pickle
It's an accord. EX springs will be no different than stock LX springs. The only difference between EX and LX suspensions are a 25 mm front say vs a 22 mm sway. Same double wishbone, same brakes etc.

Stiff spring will not help, at least not any aftermarket springs you can find for an accord. They are all intended to lower the vehicle.
You need springs with a similar spring rate to stock, but a LONGER compressed length. If they are longer when compressed, they will raise the car. If they are smaller when they are compressed, they will lower the car. You are looking at custom springs. you can also increase the spring rate, while keeping the same uncompressed length. Higher spring rate, makes it harder to compress,= longer compressed length= higher ride height. But you will have a harsher ride.

Actually they do have different part numbers for the springs....my personal experience of putting EX suspension on my DX Value Package was it raising up at least an two inches or so. I do not believe my DX suspension was blown.

EX:
115711 SPRING, FR. (MITSUBISHI)
115710 SPRING, FR. (SHOWA)

DX:
97793 SPRING, FR. (ROCKWELL)

Now could they have the same spring rates? I suppose it's possible.

Also, stiffer springs WOULD help, but as mentioned most available are shorter to lower the vehicle. You would have to find same length springs as stock and then get them stiffer (Ground Control offers varying spring rates and I'm sure have a spring that would fit. I was under the assumption OP is probably bottoming out due to the spring rates and old, sagging suspension.

There also are quite a bit more differences between the two cars in suspension than just that.

- ABS (EX)
- rear sway (EX)
- rear calipers (EX)

Now another thought would be to see if the 95-97 Accord V6 suspension would fit. It's a heavier car and probably has different rates as well.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put your front springs in the rear and put '95-'98 odyssey springs in the front.
This will raise the entire vehicle a few inches.

I've raised a few vehicles doing the same thing, including a civic that I swapped the front springs to the rear and accord springs in the front.

Here was the latest beater I had:
Name:  IMG_3486.jpg
Views: 18365
Size:  95.7 KB

It actually has honda springs on it. haha
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Trial User

Thanks guys! That helps alot.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Actually they do have different part numbers for the springs....my personal experience of putting EX suspension on my DX Value Package was it raising up at least an two inches or so. I do not believe my DX suspension was blown.

EX:
115710 SPRING, FR. (SHOWA)

DX:
97793 SPRING, FR. (ROCKWELL)

Now could they have the same spring rates? I suppose it's possible.

Also, stiffer springs WOULD help, but as mentioned most available are shorter to lower the vehicle. You would have to find same length springs as stock and then get them stiffer (Ground Control offers varying spring rates and I'm sure have a spring that would fit. I was under the assumption OP is probably bottoming out due to the spring rates and old, sagging suspension.

There also are quite a bit more differences between the two cars in suspension than just that.

- ABS (EX)
- rear sway (EX)
- rear calipers (EX)

Now another thought would be to see if the 95-97 Accord V6 suspension would fit. It's a heavier car and probably has different rates as well.
Thats for a DX. I'm talking about EX/LX

I suspect that the EX/:X accords are heavier. Hence beefier springs.

Disc brakes are not suspension components, the only differences are the knuckles, and yes rear sway. But I was referring to front suspension. ABS is totally unrelated to the suspension systems as well.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:15 PM
He knows where you live!

Thats for a DX. I'm talking about EX/LX

I suspect that the EX/:X accords are heavier. Hence beefier springs.

Disc brakes are not suspension components, the only differences are the knuckles, and yes rear sway. But I was referring to front suspension. ABS is totally unrelated to the suspension systems as well.
Exactly, EX springs are heavier and have beefier springs, which was my point of the whole post. The EX is a heavier car and has different springs than the others.

The LX is close to the DX in that it lacks ABS, my point of posting that.

And I was commenting on the differences, since you explicitly wrote "same brakes" and the same suspensions minus the front sway

*edit*

And I actually just checked, the LX has the same springs as the DX as mentioned in my post. So the EX springs will most likely help with new shocks.

Last edited by TheMuffinMan; 06-07-2010 at 05:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Exactly, EX springs are heavier and have beefier springs, which was my point of the whole post. The EX is a heavier car and has different springs than the others.

The LX is close to the DX in that it lacks ABS, my point of posting that.

And I was commenting on the differences, since you explicitly wrote "same brakes" and the same suspensions minus the front sway

*edit*

And I actually just checked, the LX has the same springs as the DX as mentioned in my post. So the EX springs will most likely help with new shocks.
ah yes, the technicalites and wording of things.
But yeah, interesting note about the EX/LX weight.... hmmm I'm wondering where the weight is now. Probably in the ABS junk, and rear sway
Old 06-08-2010, 03:19 AM
He knows where you live!

ah yes, the technicalites and wording of things.
But yeah, interesting note about the EX/LX weight.... hmmm I'm wondering where the weight is now. Probably in the ABS junk, and rear sway
I wasn't honestly trying to slam you on it or anything, just clarifying since a user may go by and read it.

I'm sure the EX's power seats, sun roof, suspension components, ABS, wheels (LX was still hubcaps I believe), along with whatever little goodies they put in there increased the weight by. I mean I do know with my DX the weight is quite a bit different haha (no power accessories period!)

I was actually pretty sad when I put the EX suspension on and created my monster, I'll have to take a picture of it. It's almost like that damn Altima up there haha.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Slopoke
Put your front springs in the rear and put '95-'98 odyssey springs in the front.

I've raised a few vehicles doing the same thing, including a civic that I swapped the front springs to the rear and accord springs in the front.

It needs rally car tires. Bridgestone Blizzaks at the least.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Doing that will throw the suspension geometry off spec thus cause uneven tire wear
Old 06-08-2010, 12:39 PM
He knows where you live!

Originally Posted by HonBeer
Doing that will throw the suspension geometry off spec thus cause uneven tire wear
Alignment to compensate?

So long as the camber, toe, and caster are in spec I don't believe you would see any adverse effects?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevelleSSLS6
It needs rally car tires. Bridgestone Blizzaks at the least.

It had cooper weather masters.
Name:  IMG_3492.jpg
Views: 5808
Size:  87.3 KB
Old 06-08-2010, 08:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

On that year and model you cannot adjust the camber. And caster is also limited by means of the geometry off specs. The machine will have all red (not in spec) on the screen. Same with the rear which is more difficult to align with higher springs. Will have poor steering returnability when coming out of a turn. Caster gives the car the steering returnability. Have you ever driven a forklift? Forklifts have 0 degrees caster. Thats why the steering wheel doses not return to center when let go.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, and i thought stock accords were monster trucking. never in my life did i think anyone would ever NEED a rasised accord
Old 02-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Slopoke

what mounts did you use?, Did you use a 1998 ODYSSEY coil spring insulater? OR a performance ACCORD mount? i'm about to mimic what you did HELP!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want just a little bit of room, you can use v6 accord springs and struts in the front, and wagon struts and springs in the rear...i used these on my 1995 ex and got about 1.5" taller for winter....handling isnt really any worse, but i dont scrape on anything anymore!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Trial User

ohh thx I have alotto consider but other than just switching out the springs what else should I replace/Switch out? like controle arms adjestable? or spring boots I think theyre called? I will also put in wheel spacers to widen the stance and regain some control after i do this can i add tiebars and sway bars too?
Im new at car stuff so i'm learning (and guessing) as i go
Old 02-04-2011, 10:54 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

That is not a honda accord
Old 02-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Trial User

I was hopin slowpoke was still in the forums so he could guide me trough the how-to process with me.

Quick Reply: 94 Accord Lifting suspension?