Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

94 Accord DX: stalling issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Accord DX: stalling issues

I have an accord, as stated in the thread's title, with a manual transmission. My car randomly stalled as I was looking for a parking spot at the park. When it stalled, the check engine light came on for a bit but then went away. I tried to start the car again a few moments later, it cranked but it would not start. Eventually I was able to start the car and luckily got a parking spot from someone that was parked nearby and was leaving. I tried starting the car again after an hour or so, it turned on and died after about 10 seconds and once again the CEL came on for a bit. I decided to leave my car there for the night and come back for it in the morning.

When I came back in the morning, I turned the car on and it didn't show any abnormal signs and didn't shut off so I drove it home with my dad following. I left my car at home for the rest of the day.

Next day, I was running some errands with my dad. The car started fine when we left the house. As I tried to turn the car on to head home, it wouldn't start. After a few tries, it turned on but died while on the way home. It started up again after a number of tries while applying gas and then finally while my dad was pushing the car. On the way home, the car did not die again; however, it boggled about 5 or 6 times and each time it boggled the CEL came on for that split second.

I started the car this evening, let it sit for about ten minutes until it was warm, drove it around the block, let it sit for about 5 more minutes - no abnormal signs or irradic idling. I'm concerned that the car can die on me at any time now even though it seemed fine today. Does anyone know what the problem may be?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 94 Accord DX: stalling issues

from the symptoms probably a bad distributor. Next time it happens, check for spark.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your problem sounds like the same problem that I had with my 93 Accord...the same thing would happen, the car would just turn off and it wouldnt turn back on until like an hour would pass...it turned out to be the Ignition Control Module which is part of the distributor....$50 bucks for a new one and I havent had a problem since!
Old 12-30-2009, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately there's been rainy conditions here today and it will remain that way for the next couple of days so i can't try anything yet. Are what yall are suggesting pretty easy to do because I'm not that mechanically inclined. I've been looking around the forum and read some similar problems that may or may not have been fixed with the cleaning of the egr ports or IACV. Is this something that i should consider doing too?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by uberEFtuner
from the symptoms probably a bad distributor. Next time it happens, check for spark.
Do you mean checking for an external spark or from the plugs?
Old 01-01-2010, 04:00 PM

bump, the car cranked but didn't start today.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes. Pull the spark plug wire, gently put a screwdriver into the rubber part until it touches the lead (metal part) at the bottom. Then hold the exposed shaft of the screwdriver close (1/4 of an inch) to the body of the car. While someone else tries to start the car, look closely to see if there is a spark jumping the gap from the screwdriver to the body of the car. If you see that, you have good spark on that cylinder. Check all of them. If you get good spark on all 4 post here and let us know.