Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

94-97 accord headlight

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94-97 accord headlight

Does anyone know how to remove and install the headlight assembly? I am in the middle of replacing my damaged one. So far, I can't get the assembly installed cuz it keeps getting stuck on something on the bumper reinforcement. I can get it on the fender, but the top of the assembly won't go under the radiator assembly. Thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 94-97 accord headlight

You have to remove the bumper cover.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

remove the grill the should be a bunch of bolts holding it in place theres a video about it on youtube it helped me it should help you
Old 01-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The problem is trying to remove the headlight without breaking it. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

remove both front turn signal (theres a screw on the side)
remove the bumper support ( 2 bolts each side all the way back in the blinker hole) when those a remove the bumper will fall a bit. lift it from the support and pull it away.
some bolt that hold the bumper between the headlight
the a bolt on the rad support that you will see once the bumper is removed.
theres one bolt on the side also.

this is to remove the whole assembly...
hope that helps , if not the service manual is pretty clear.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish it were that simple. On my car, there are 3 clips under each headlight on the bumper. The passenger side came out without issues cuz it was broken. I removed all of the bolts but it never budged. I ended up cracking the case to the turn signal. Was able to install the newer headlight after using my BFH. If anyone out there has successfully swapped out their headlights and could share their. Knowledge that would be appreciated. I will eventually swap out my front bumper. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just replaced mine yesterday. What a pain in the rear! Watch YouTube video to show you how. You will need to take the grill, bumper cover and bumper off. You will need to take the turn light off to get at some of the screws holding the bumper cover on. In addition, there are a couple of screws under the headlight assembly holding the bumper cover on. I was able to get most of the screws under the headlight out by using a flathead screwdriver (from the side) but had to break one because it wouldn't come out. Once that was done, take the cover off and go after the bumper (four bolts). You can get at the five bolts holding the assembly on once the bumper is off.

One quick note. I installed both and put everything back together and noticed the passenger side light was sticking out about 1/4 inch further than the original, so I had to take everything back apart to adjust the light.

Can't believe it's that much trouble, but it is.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 75aces
I wish it were that simple. On my car, there are 3 clips under each headlight on the bumper. The passenger side came out without issues cuz it was broken. I removed all of the bolts but it never budged. I ended up cracking the case to the turn signal. Was able to install the newer headlight after using my BFH. If anyone out there has successfully swapped out their headlights and could share their. Knowledge that would be appreciated. I will eventually swap out my front bumper. Thanks.
it is that simple
you should have the service manual, i didnt broke anything on mine using that book. would have took you the same time looking for it than reading this post...
Old 01-08-2012, 06:31 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys this really is not difficult and there are quite a few tutorials/FAQs/etc on how to do it.

First, forget taking off the bumper cover and just take off the whole bumper.

Second, you have the following to take care of:
- 1 screw at the top corner of the bumper behind the corner light (both sides)
- 1 10MM bolt at the bottom of the fender lining into the bumper/lip (both sides)
- 3 or 4 plastic clips along the front of the bumper holding the splash guard to the bumper cover.
- 1 screw accessible from the lower grill through a small hole that holds the turn signals in place (both sides, it doesn't come out - just loosens)
- 5 screws holding the grill to the front cross member
- 2 bolts (both sides) directly behind the turn signal holding the bumper to the car

You take out all those screws and bolts and the front bumper will come right out. Then you have full access to remove the headlights. If you would buy the Helms manual you would clearly see this method.

Take out the grill
Take out the two screws on either side
Take out the two lower bolts on either side
Take out the 3-4 clips along the bottom splash tray
Take out the turn signal screws (and remove turn signal)
Take out the two bolts holding the bumper to the car on either side

Done.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Trial User

This all BS because I watched the YOUTUBE video and everything was going great right up until the removal of the "five holding screw on top of bumper" because my 95 accord LX did not just have 1 on each side and 3 in the middle it had 2 more under each headlight Impossible to get to plus a couple more under which after completely losing my cool all got ripped out and busted. Now here I am sitting in my garage look through threads and debating taking a baseball bat to the headlight assembly all of which my damn chilton on repair manual does NOT cover adequately HELP All I want is a free DIY manual ill do the rest. Free ya right who am I kidding. I wish my husband was more...... Oh well
Old 10-04-2012, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kelli20Ten
This all BS because I watched the YOUTUBE video and everything was going great right up until the removal of the "five holding screw on top of bumper" because my 95 accord LX did not just have 1 on each side and 3 in the middle it had 2 more under each headlight Impossible to get to plus a couple more under which after completely losing my cool all got ripped out and busted. Now here I am sitting in my garage look through threads and debating taking a baseball bat to the headlight assembly all of which my damn chilton on repair manual does NOT cover adequately HELP All I want is a free DIY manual ill do the rest. Free ya right who am I kidding. I wish my husband was more...... Oh well
TheMuffinMan gave you a DIY manual. It's the post above yours.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 10-08-2012, 05:36 AM
Trial User

The muffinman says nothing about the 2 clips under each headlight though I wish I could figure out how to attach a photo of mine
Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelli20Ten
The muffinman says nothing about the 2 clips under each headlight though I wish I could figure out how to attach a photo of mine
That's because if you actually read what TheMuffinMan says it clearly says to ignore removing the bumper cover and to remove the entire bumper itself. The YouTube video suggests just removing the cover where those clips are applicable. By removing the turn signals to access the bumper bolts you are completely bypassing the need to do that.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

This literally takes me 10-15 minutes to do. Remove the entire bumper, forget about the cover as everyone has already mentioned. And yes Kelli20Ten there are "FREE" PDF formated manuals online for the 4th and 5th gen Accords.....

PM sent
Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Trial User

Awesome thank you ghost it's all good now whew
Old 10-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Trial User

Now I get it how they put those damn screw clips on. It's all becoming clearer luv you guys <3
Old 05-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Trial User

Themuffinman is a genius. I know this is old but thanks a lot.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a nice quick video, was trying to figure it out for awhile.