Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

93 Honda Accord - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Honda Accord - Need Help!

Hey there everyone! First off I'll start by saying hello as this is my first post on here

A little back story on the original problem!

. I have a 93 Honda Accord with 327xxx on the bottom end and a used head with 127xxx on it.

I was recently driving down the highway when I'm assuming the timing skipped and my car started running like a Subaru. I was able to limp it home and have a friend come look at it the next day. He thought it was the distributor but wanted to hear how it ran. So we fire it up and to our dismay a really loud noise came from the top end so we shut it down immediately. After trailering it to my buddy's shop we pulled the valve cover off and immediately noticed it had dropped a valve into the first cylinder.

After taking the head off the piston had a few marks in it but nothing major and not a scratch on the cylinder wall (thank God!). We called a friend who works with Honda to come take a look and see if it was worth throwing a new head on and he said definitely. So after purchasing a used head,new dizzy, plugs, wires, gaskets, timing belt and balancer belt, water pump etc we put it all together and it fired right up and idled great for 15-20 mins.

Now here is where it gets confusing. As far as we can tell the timing is bang on (it was done by buddy from Honda )and it's not throwing any cel codes but it's misfiring just like it did before it dropped a valve the last time. I don't want to run it for extended periods just in case that does happen again but we are at a loss. I've done a bit of research and people are saying valve adjustment but I haven't seen anyone who had the motor running fine for 20 mins at idle an then all of a sudden run like *** again. We pulled the first plug to see if it was fouled and it looked like something has scraped it and broke the tip. Any ideas with that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my only vehicle and reaaaallly can't afford to be down much longer! Thanks everyone!

Last edited by FaLLenExiLe; 05-18-2016 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 05-18-2016, 04:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 93 Honda Accord - Need Help!

It may have jumped a tooth and the spark plug got busted. Recheck the mechanical timing.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Might of dropped or chipped another valve.
They could have bent or gotten loose when you jumped timing.

Do a leak down test to make sure it holds pressure.
You should hear it leak out if its another valve issue.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:42 PM
Trial User

Ok im going to do both a leak down and compression test tmrw or this weekend the latest and let you guys know.

I dont see it dropping another valve on a new head in the same spot RIGHT after a rebuild. Im leaning towards valves being way out but regardless I appreciate all suggestions and will try all until I succeed lol. Thanks again guys and ill pot bck any findings