Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

92' Honda died w/lights...alternator problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:48 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 92' Honda died w/lights...alternator problem?

My dad suggested this forum for some help fixing my older honda accord; I'm a girl trying to be a do-it-yourself mechanic, so any help will be appreciated!

I drive 4dr. 92' Honda accord lx, manual. I was just recently in an accident that damaged the drivers-side front corner, but the car seemed to drive fine - most of the damage looks to be cosmetic.

However, about a week after the accident, an issue popped-up. The check engine, check oil, and check battery lights all came on within about 2 seconds of each other. I've been driving this car for 3 years now, and have never seen them before, so I instantly pulled over, turned the car off, and got it towed home. The lights all worked, as did the stereo, but I didn't try turning the car back on. The belts were still on, and everything looked normal under the hood.

2 weeks later, I was forced to use the car again. It turned on fine, and lasted all of a day and a half. The second day all the same lights turned on again. I noticed check engine first, a few seconds later the other 2, then realized the car was dead and I was coasting. The normal drive lights were working perfect, as were the dash lights. I tried turning the car back on as I was coasting, but I just heard a strange noise, the car shuddered weirdly (sorry, I really can't describe it better), and refused to start. Tried again a few minutes later at a dead stop, and it still wasn't turning over at all. Tried reviving the engine a bit (it helps off an on) but the RPMs didn't even register.

I got the car towed again, and about a half hour after it died, the tow-truck guy tried turning the car on. It started perfectly normal. I've been told by a few people that the alternator might have gone out on me, and I'm hoping that's the case. However, I'm learning car issues as I come to each one, and this is a completely new problem to me.

If someone has any insight as to whats going on, I'd be happy to hear it! Also, if anyone knows of a better place to post my question, I'd be happy to try that place.

Thanks for any help!
~Zella
Old 09-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 92' Honda died w/lights...alternator problem?

alternator would be my 1st guess
Old 09-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: 92' Honda died w/lights...alternator problem?

Originally Posted by ZellaM
My dad suggested this forum for some help fixing my older honda accord; I'm a girl trying to be a do-it-yourself mechanic, so any help will be appreciated!

I drive 4dr. 92' Honda accord lx, manual. I was just recently in an accident that damaged the drivers-side front corner, but the car seemed to drive fine - most of the damage looks to be cosmetic.

However, about a week after the accident, an issue popped-up. The check engine, check oil, and check battery lights all came on within about 2 seconds of each other. I've been driving this car for 3 years now, and have never seen them before, so I instantly pulled over, turned the car off, and got it towed home. The lights all worked, as did the stereo, but I didn't try turning the car back on. The belts were still on, and everything looked normal under the hood.

2 weeks later, I was forced to use the car again. It turned on fine, and lasted all of a day and a half. The second day all the same lights turned on again. I noticed check engine first, a few seconds later the other 2, then realized the car was dead and I was coasting. The normal drive lights were working perfect, as were the dash lights. I tried turning the car back on as I was coasting, but I just heard a strange noise, the car shuddered weirdly (sorry, I really can't describe it better), and refused to start. Tried again a few minutes later at a dead stop, and it still wasn't turning over at all. Tried reviving the engine a bit (it helps off an on) but the RPMs didn't even register.

I got the car towed again, and about a half hour after it died, the tow-truck guy tried turning the car on. It started perfectly normal. I've been told by a few people that the alternator might have gone out on me, and I'm hoping that's the case. However, I'm learning car issues as I come to each one, and this is a completely new problem to me.

If someone has any insight as to whats going on, I'd be happy to hear it! Also, if anyone knows of a better place to post my question, I'd be happy to try that place.

Thanks for any help!
~Zella
I would suspect the alternator. I've seen incidences where the alternator's brushes wear to the point where the brush holder's spring tension can't keep the brushes contacting the commutator rings, actually causing the alternator to intermittently charge and then not charge.
It sounds like you were running on battery power until the voltage dropped to the point that the ECM responded by turning on the CEL lamp.

P