Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

92 Accord: Gear Selector Stuck in D3, trans in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Accord: Gear Selector Stuck in D3, trans in Reverse

Hello, my name is Ali and I am new to these forums. Of course, my first post is about my Honda and the problem I'm having with it... I hope someone here can help recommend a page, procedure, part or other helpful tip!

Here goes nothing! :

My car is a 1992 Accord LX (auto), and I've been having problems with my gear selector.

Since I've had the car, its always been stiff selecting modes Park, Reverse, Neutral and Drive.

It has been sitting for a while, and after nearly raging to get into drive the selector is out of alignment and is jammed as well...

I can't move the selector into P, R, N, D, it feels like there is something blocking the selector.

It is currently stuck in D3, but upon engine start, the transmission is in Reverse.

Moving the selector (very difficult) to D2 or D1 will be actually be Neutral.

It can't get into Drive: I can't select it (feels like I'll break the lever if I push any harder) and the selector won't travel back enough to get there either.

I've removed the center console to take a look (and move the selector switch to Park so that I can remove the key)

The brake safety solenoid clicks back and forth OK.

I've removed and replaced the selector mechanism, I know now that the cable is binding in the link or somewhere else.

I pulled back the rubber seal and tried some penetrating oil to see if that would help, but it feels the same after a few hours. The cable end is too stiff to move back and forth with my hand.

Can anyone clue me into where the other end of this cable is on the transmission? I had a friend try to move the selector back and forth so that I could find it under the hood, I could hear it but I didn't find it yet.

I'm guessing that all I need is this cable to make my car drivable again. Has anyone experienced a problem like this before? Any tips when replacing that selector cable? Any good place to pick up that part?

Thank you all!

-Ali

(I took a photo with my phone, I believe that this cable linkage is jammed or binding.)

Last edited by ajengen; 08-01-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 92 Accord: Gear Selector Stuck in D3, trans in Reverse

Between the firewall and the trans you should find the "other" end of the cable. I think you have to pull the dust shield for the tq converter to actually see where it connects to the "trans".
Old 08-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 92 Accord: Gear Selector Stuck in D3, trans in Reverse

Thanks for the reply! It sounds like I need to really get under the car for this one and spray the heck out of the cable end and link with some penetrating oil.

I called Napa, they suggested the dealer. The dealer said they have to order the part and quoted me $377.xx for it!

I think I can order the part on Ebay, looks like there are quite a few parts out there for example: Dorman/Techoice 16721 Shift Selector Cable

Maybe a junkyard may be a good place to look also, I think I've got to get on the phone and call as many places as I can. Anyone have this part available or knows a good place to pick it up? I live in Minneapolis MN

I talked to Kennedy transmission and he said they want to take a look at it. If only I could select Drive!

Thanks! -Ali