Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

92 Accord “very hard” hard acceleration

Old 07-15-2014, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Accord “very hard” hard acceleration

My son owns a 1992 Accord, LX, automatic with 200k on it. The timing belt/water pump and valve adjustment were all done by $Honda$ about 15K ago. He states that when going to work just about every day, after driving about a mile or so to the interstate in D4 he has an acceleration problem were the car slows down to about 30mph and the only way to pick up speed is to press the gas pedal real hard. During this time the RPM’s will rev high until he lets off the gas pedal. He has tried shifting thru all the gears to see if will correct the problem but it doesn’t. He is forced to turn around go back home and let the car sit for a while before its ok. Yesterday he drove 350 miles to my home. Before leaving his home he said the car was acting up again and did this for about 30 miles into his trip. The rest of the drive was ok. This morning I drove the car for about 30 miles with no problem. There are no flashing or engine check lights and everything under the hood (hoses, connections, etc.) seem to look ok. The only thing I noticed about 15 miles into my test drive was that the “N” and “R” lights on the dash transmission selector were not working. However about 25 miles into my test drive and at a stop light they began working and continue to work fine. After jumping the blue wire on the passenger side I’m unable to get any type of code. Before I start replacing parts I would appreciate any help in solving this mystery.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: 92 Accord “very hard” hard acceleration

I would start by looking at the trans. Maybe a drain-and-flush? 3 times? Then see how it does.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank for that bit of information. I've heard this has worked for other folks. I've done two changes today and will try a third tomorrow morning.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:11 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

D4 light work?
If the lights on the dash work, but do not always light up the switch in the console my be dirty. If the TCU doesn't know what gear you have selected it may cause undesirable characteristics.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Mike. Could you tell me how to get to the switch in the console. I'm not sure I know what it looks like but would like to check it out and try cleaning it.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:41 PM
MM Gruppe B

Pull off the center console. On the side of the shifter where the PRN(etc) are there will be a switch connected to the shifter. It may become gummed up from debris, dust, soft drink residue, etc.

Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE: I changed the trans fluid three times with Honda ATF. Pulled the center console and checked it out. Was not bad all considering the soft drinks and water bottles left around that area. Disconnected everything and cleaned everything real good. I then pulled the TCU and opened it up. I noticed that a large resistor was leaking. I was lucky to find a rebuilt TCU that they said would fit. I plugged it in and took it for a 20 mile test drive. So far so good in all the gears. Only concern is that the reverse dash shift light is not working. When I test drove it a couple of days ago with the old TCU I noticed that both the "N" and "R" lights did not work and the a few miles and stops later they did. Could this be a bulb/fuse issue? I can get to the bulb but can't find the shifter light fuse....if there is one. Help is appreciated.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Another UPDATE: After replacing the TCU and the shift switch under the console and driving more that 120 miles the hard or low gear acceleration problem is gone. I still have an issue with the shift selector lights on the dash the "N" "R" and "D4" don't light all the time. By accident I think I found the problem but not the fix.

For example when shifting from "P" to "D4" the "R" and "N" lights don't work. And when shifting up from "D3" to "D4" the "D4" light doesn't work. But when selected to a non working light and I wiggle the shifter a little the lights will come on and stay on until the next time I shift. Also I don't recall if this is normal but when I first turn on the key both the "PP" and "D4" lights come on and then the "D4" goes out.

There is not much play in the shifter and when I replaced the switch I checked for any frayed or grounded wires. I've not removed the T handle that looks like it's held on with one screw - could something be shorted under there?

The trans and all gears are working fine I'm just concerned that this light issue may lead me back to more problems if not corrected.

I would appreciate any help.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:34 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like bad/worn contact points on the switch/shifter assembly itself.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:56 PM
MM Gruppe B

Originally Posted by donee12
I still have an issue with the shift selector lights on the dash the "N" "R" and "D4" don't light all the time.
If the shifter cable is not adjusted correctly the trans may be in gear but the shifter is not correctly aligned. This can be fixed with the cable adjustment.

I would only be concerned with the lights not lighting up if the TCU does not see the electrical connection from the shifter. Since you replaced the switch but the lighting issue continues, check that the wiring harness is not damaged/corroded.