Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

91 Accord Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Accord Timing Belt

So I have searched and didn't find anything in the vicinity of accord timing belts on this site. We are working on my friends 91 Accord in my Autos 2 class. We finally are at the point where we can start putting the new timing belt on. The first one we ordered didn't fit so we thought that maybe the idiots at Autozone gave us the wrong one. So then we wen't to the Honda dealer and got the Honda Certified one or whatever. We compared the parts number with this one with the parts number on the old one. Perfect match. We slip it on and tightened it all up and there seems to be about an inch worth of slack in it. We are not sure if this is how it is supposed to be but it doesn't seem right. The other smaller belt fits perfectly and is properly tensioned, but the timing belt is loose. We have tightened the belt guides way down to get rid of the slack but it only seems to tighten up the right side of the belt (when standing at the left fender) and the left side of the belt is still way loose. This is a 91 Accord, has the F22 motor, and it is an automatic. I don't know if any of that matters but the guy at Autozone was convinced we have a different motor and that is why it won't fit, but it is for sure the F22. We have looked in the Haynes manual we have an we are sure we have everything on there right. So I am wondering if anybody knows the amount of slack it should have, the proper way to tighten it (maybe we are doing it wrong because the Haynes manual doesn't explain crap), or any diagrams that may be helpful. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated on this evil car (problems with stripped out wheel locks, missing parts, stripped out head bolts, really messed up harmonic balancer bolts have made this car a real pain in the ****).

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 91 Accord Timing Belt (square_1)

Well, I think we got it now so thanks anyway for the help.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:10 PM

Default Re: 91 Accord Timing Belt

We are having the same problem what was it? The timing belt is real loose and shakes when the car is on
Old 12-31-2008, 07:25 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you can't find anything on this site for timing belts then something is wrong.

check the FAQ for my write-up on how to replace the timing belt. That will show you the proper way to tension the belt and everything.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I just replaced the timing belt on my '91 accord (with the F22A1). I had the same problem with the belt loosening up, and i think it actually jumped a tooth or too cause it was running real rough. I pulled the motor because im doing a full rebuild anyway, and I noticed how loose the belt was when I tore it apart- the engine still ran fine tho, just rough on hard accel.

I checked with my accord service manual (Haynes manual, so you can get it at your Autozone like i did), and aparently there is actually a belt tightening sequence... so heres how it goes:

"Adjust the belt slack as follows:

(Make sure your at TDC, and belt is on.. obviously)

Make sure the tensioner adjuster nut is loose (the bolt in the middle) and rotate the crankshaft counter-clockwise (with the 19mm socket on the crank bolt) three teeth on the camshaft sprocket to create tension on the timing belt and the balance shaft belt, and then tighten the tensioner nut to the torque spec. (33 Ft. Lbs.)

Let me know if this works, because after I get my bottom end built, I gotta do the same thing. It makes sense tho cause turning the engine over does really pull on the belt. Just dont do what I did and leave the adjuster nut just fairly tight.. lol- I was thinking the spring for the tensioner would do all the work...wrong! lol, well good luck
Old 12-31-2008, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry I didnt read the part where you said you had the Haynes manual. I think the Haynes is correct though- you just need to turn the engine a bit to put some stress on the belt, and then lock the tensioner to keep it there. It makes sense I guess- It'll probably work better than the nice new loose belt i had on my car becuase I failed to read that step in the manual haha.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Slip the harmonic balencer on with the main bolt in the crank loosly. Start the engine, rev it up with the throttle, shut it off and retention and recheck alignments, realign if needed, retention if needed and done, or do it all one more time just to be sure.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi Guys:

Kind of a noob here but this problem sounds similar to something I was experiencing. Let me tell you what happened to me and what I inferred about the problem.

To Summarize:

I think I got one tooth tight on the back side of the engine and one tooth loose on the front.

My Experience:

I recently changed the timing belt on my 92 Accord EX which was my first time doing a timing belt. I was also doing a bunch of other stuff at the same time and the car was down for several weeks while I got time to get through all I was doing.

When I cranked it up the first time, it was making all kinds of racket which I later found to be an improperly tensioned timing belt. I think I probably didn't do a great job with initial tensioning or it loosened up during initial cranking attempts (plus I had the tooth-off problem).

I discovered that simply by retensioning the belts, I could get it going without the loose belt racket. However, everytime I parked it and let it set overnight, it wouldn't crank up again. But by retensioning the belts, it would crank and run fine until I parked and let it set again.

Finally, I settled on the conclusion that I'd set the belts one tooth tight on back side and consequently one tooth loose on the front side. I think I did this because I remember failing to lock the tensioner in a loose position before installing the timing belt. I was having a hard time getting the belt on and I think I got one tooth off by forcing the belt on.

Thus regardless of my subsequent tensioning procedure, the belt was doomed to loosen up on the front side.

So I redid it by locking the tensioner and resetting timing belt (this time with much more ease) and everything worked fine from there on out.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:06 PM

Thank you we will try again. Just to give a little more info..... the car is drivable but the timing belt is very loose. It has been snowing here and without a garage to work in a little hard to try all great ideas. Thanks again! Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im guessing you didnt set the tension correctly. once you get the belt on there loosen the nuts for the the tensioner. rotate the crank three teeth from top dead center and tighten down the tensioner bolts.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:46 PM

OK So I finally did it after a month! This was the problem.......I did not have the tensioner sitting on the pin of the block. So this was causing the timing belt to be loose. Also I had a bolt in the tensioner and that didn't need to be there. Thank you for all the replies. They were very helpful! To all of you out there who think you can't do it...YOU CAN! It took me a while because it was very cold outside (Boston). Please email me with any help questions again that you for all the helpful replies!!!!