Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

91 4DR LX driver door is stuck shut.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 4DR LX driver door is stuck shut.

The front driver side door will not open--unlocking, locking, unlocking doesn't do anything. the door handle seems feels the same either in locked or unlocked position. (I have to get into the car to ddrive through the front passenger door...yeah it sucks) I've resorted to cutting away at the inside door panel to inspect the internals of the door (i can replace that later once this problem is fixed). From what I can see, all of the internals for unlocking and locking work physically like they should and the door handles, the same. Keep in mind that the latch assembly for my car is also controlled electronically through power locks, etc. I'm guessing that somewhere, something has shorted out or however electronic relays and switches fail. my question is, how can i open the door since all of its mechanisms seem to fail. is there a way to possibly throw a voltage to the corresponding wire that runs to the door latch assembly which could cause it to unlock itself (i suspect that its tripped itself into its locking state and now cannot unlock because of its electrical problem). this all happened within an hour one day when i got into the car, like youwould normally due, and i left the college campus parking lot. i then drove to starbucks, parked the car, got out (using the driver's side door) and shut the door and locked it (the powerlocks gave out a year before but everything worked fine manually). when i finished at the establishment and proceeded to unlock the car door, the little toggle locking thing lifted like it normally should and i then lifted the door handle--the door wouldn't open like if it were still locked. that's the run down of everything. i hope this helps in someone determing a work around to getting the door opened and replacing the latch assembly or possibly a relay swith within the car door behind the door panel. i'm in dire need to get this fix--i'm going out of my mind. thanks.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 91 4DR LX driver door is stuck shut. (itsaka)

If you know anyone that's good with a slim jim you might try that. Since you said the doorhandle doesn't do anything or get stiffer when you unlock it it sounds like the handle assembly may have broken or the bar popped out of it. I'm not that familiar with electronic locks but you have a lock assembly which usually disables the handle and then a bar of some sort connecting the handle to the latching mechanism. In this case it is either not unlocking (unlikely since you said it doesn't get stiffer) or you have nothing to flip the latch.

Worse case scenario I've heard of people drilling in key spots to get at the latch but I doubt that's needed yet. I would say pull the window seal back from inside the car and stick something stiff down there. Be careful for wires and all but there should be a bar stretching across. Unlock the door and if you can grab that hopefully the door will pop open and then you can take the panel off. I really doubt its an electrical problem at all.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 91 4DR LX driver door is stuck shut. (itsaka)

You'll probably need to drill the latch from inside the door
http://members.troublecodes.ne...e.htm
The yamada bird has put the hex on your car no doubt, the link has the latch picture and where to drill
Best of luck I hope this helps you
Old 12-22-2005, 08:39 AM

i cut away at the door panel to view the internals and all of the bars leading to the assembly attached to the door handle and the locking latch thing seem to be all intact. thanks for the link. that is great help. i'm most likely going to try that out. thanks for all the help. i'll keep posted on the situation if i run into anymore problems with the door. again, thanks a bunch.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:02 PM

Default Re: (itsaka)

I have the Yamaha Bird as well. Can anybody recommend a good way to take off the inside door panel without ruining it? Thanks!

(apologize for any and all noobiness)
Old 01-08-2006, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (RonRule)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RonRule &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can anybody recommend a good way to take off the inside door panel without ruining it? Thanks!
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Remove the front seat, then take all the screws out of the door panel and pop it loose from the plastic retaining clips around the edges.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:15 PM

Default Re: (hondadude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondadude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Remove the front seat, then take all the screws out of the door panel and pop it loose from the plastic retaining clips around the edges.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think this will work, because the dash is blocking the front of the door panel. It might not be possible to remove the door panel without cutting it.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (I R Tylor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I R Tylor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't think this will work, because the dash is blocking the front of the door panel. It might not be possible to remove the door panel without cutting it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it will . i have done it a few times, like dude said , remove the frt seat you will have enough room to pull the panel off ..
Old 01-09-2006, 09:21 AM

I had this same problem on my 2 door 91 accord. I got my panel off without cutting it or removing the front seat. It took some bending, but I didn't break anything. Needless to say I did all that and messed with the damn thing for hours. I finally gave up and traded the car in.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:22 AM

I had this same problem on my 91 accord. I got my panel off without cutting it or removing the front seat. It took some bending, but I didn't break anything. Needless to say I did all that, messed with the damn thing for hours and couldn't get the damn thing to open. I finally gave up and traded the car in.