Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

6th gen timing belt/water pump - any need for tensioners, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6th gen timing belt/water pump - any need for tensioners, etc?

So I'm going to be replacing my timing belt and water pump, but was wondering if there was any need for any of the following:

Balance Shaft Belt
Valve Cover Gasket Set
Spark Plug Seals
Cam Seal
Balance Shaft Seal
Crank Seal
Timing Belt Tensioner
Balance Shaft Tensioner
Old 06-14-2007, 03:52 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 6th gen timing belt/water pump - any need for tensioners, etc? (98savage)

Balance Shaft Belt - yes - you don't want it to shred and get caught up in the timing belt and make it jump/skip and mess things up. It has the same mileage and wear on it, replace it.

Valve Cover Gasket Set - maybe - I would get the valve cover gasket for sure. If the spark plug seals are leaking then get the set. So it's up to you if you want to get the set or not, I do just so I know nothing will leak.

Spark Plug Seals - Only get if they are leaking. Included in valve cover gasket set.

Cam Seal : Balance Shaft Seal : Crank Seal - recommended - You wouldn't want it to start leaking after 12,000 miles and have to go back in and do it all over again.

Timing Belt Tensioner : Balance Shaft Tensioner - recommended - If you want you can wait until you tear it all apart and see if they need replacing. If they spin smoothly with no signs of being loose, then they don't need to be replaced. But if you are like me and don't tear it all apart until the new parts arrive then you may want to just order them anyway, besides it's the peace of mind knowing they won't go bad before the next timing belt change.

I just ordered parts from Majestic Honda to do a brake master cylinder and timing belt job on my Civic. I ordered the timing belt, tensioner, valve cover gasket set, cam seal, crank seal and water pump. I don't have any oil leaks (knock on wood) and my tensioner may not be in need of replacing but it's the peace of mind knowing it'll all be new and not need to be taken apart later for problems.