Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

6th gen auto to manual VSS wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6th gen auto to manual VSS wiring

I have read the post by Turbowa and it is awesome, however i would like to lend a hand to some of the people out there who are wiring up the VSS. I would like to say that the way Turbowa said to wire the VSS is totally correct, but I think this way may be simpler and easier to understand. I did it this way in my friends 2000 Accord with a H22 swap.

1. Extend the wires form the VSS plug you are going to use about 6".

2. Locate one of the wires going form the ecu to the auto trans on the engine wiring harness side and re-pin it to the correct VSS location for your year Accord. I recommend the Blue or Blue/white that goes to the Automatic Speed sensor output wire because it is a shielded wire that will pick up less interference than a non-shielded wire will.

3. To re-pin this wire push up the lock down tabs on the ecu plug and gently pull the pin out. Place the pin in it's correct location and push the tabs back down to lock the pin in.

4. Connect the other end ot the wire that you pinned to your ecu VSS location to the blue/white wire off of your VSS sensor.

5. Next find the plug from the dash harness that plugs to your ecu. There will be a Blue/white wire in this plug that is labeled VSS output in a Honda Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. Cut this wire and splice it into the wire you pinned out for your VSS input on the engine harness side. I recommend soldering all connections. This wire will allow you to keep form having to pin out the wire on the front of the passenger side multi plex. If you want to check and make sure you have the correct wire you can use a multi-meter and check for continuity form the blue/white wire in the dash board side ecu plug and the blue/white wire in the back of the multi plex. If these wires have continuity you have the correct one.

6. Now the hard part is over. Next to get and ignition wire for the VSS all you will need to do is find another Black/yellow in the engine side wiring harness. You can find one in the alternator, o2 sensor, distrubitor, and many other sensor plugs. I used the one that goes to the o2 sensor since the h22 o2 sensor had to be relocated to the rear of the motor any way it was the closest to the VSS sensor.

7. After you have located this wire turn your key to ignition and check it with your multimeter for 12 volts. When you turn the key off it should have no voltage.

8. Strip back some of the insulation of the wire and solder the black/yellow from your VSS sensor to the ignition source you found in the engine wiring harness.

9. For the ground of the VSS sensor, I just put a ring terminal on my wire I extended in step 1 and put the the ring terminal under the 10mm bolt that holds down the VSS sensor. Before you do this though you should turn the key to ignition, temporally ground the VSS sensor, and test the VSS by turning the gear on the end of the sensor. If the needle in the cluster moves your speed sensor is correctly working and you should permanently install the sensor. You can put your ground at any good ground source in the engine bay, I would recommend putting in a place that is on the motor.

I hope this is helpful to some of you out there that are trying to accomplish wiring up your VSS sensor. I have found it to be very simple to do, but I did have to make a trip to Honda and borrow one of there ETM manuals to get the information on my ecu pin locations. I will post my ECU pin locations that I used with some pics later. I would like to say again that the way that Turbowa says in his write up is totally correct, I just think that my way is somewhat easier and less wires to run. If you have any more questions about wiring your VSS just PM me and I will try and help you, if you have any questions about the H22 swap just hold on I will try and do a write up in the near future.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 6th gen auto to manual VSS wiring (Jdm91Teg)

just a note: the vss signal wire (blue/white) that goes from the VSS to pin c23. That wire has to be also tee, which go to your passanger side fuse/relay box. It will be a green harness which is "C" according to the ETM. The problem is that this wire will need to go to cavity #12 but there is no wire in that cavaity, which results in finding a female connector to go into this cavaity. Not all female connectors are the same. You will need to go to the junk yard and find a green harness from a honda which most likely fit. If you dont and try to use a female connector from lets say the ecu, its way too short and not wide enough for the male terminal.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: 6th gen auto to manual VSS wiring (npcanibus3)

hey maybee you can help me ?? i have a 99 accord 4 door just swapped it over to 5 speed and i have a 92-96 jdm h22 motor the wire from the h22 is on the opposite side then my stock motor and also i need motor mounts that will fit that motor to my car ?? im not doing the swap my mechanic is so if you can just let me know what i need to complete this project i will show him b/c h motors online told me that i need to get mounts from a 97 prelude and they said to call up hasport racing for the wire harness to extend it but they dont even make a wire harness for my car............