Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

4th Gen Accord Skips Gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th Gen Accord Skips Gears

I have a 1992 Accord EX Automatic Transmission. It has 127k miles. Every so often, even in the middle of accelerating, my car will go into what I like to call "skip gear mode". When this happens, it feels like my car loses some accelerating power in any gear I can get the transmission to actually shift to. After this point, and until I turn my car off for a min or two and back on, it will only go to 1st and 4th gears. I have to manually shift to 2nd just to get it to keep from going right from from 1 to 4. After that, if I shift to D3, it still goes right to 4th gear. Same with D4. So basically, I can be on the highway goin 70 and stil be in D3 and it makes no difference. 4th gear. The only way to remedy this, like I said, is to turn the car off and wait a couple of minutes, and then turn it back on.

I suspect that it only goes into this mode when the engine temperature reaches a certain high point. The reason that I have noticed this is because on some days, it will go into skip gear mode right from the getgo. It's very annoying and I would just like to get this fixed once and for all.

I took it to a transmission shop and they said that I needed to replace something called a gear position switch or something like that. I paid for the part and had it put it, but it made no difference at all.

If you have any experience with this, please elaborate to the fullest extent possible. I appreciate your help in advance.

By the way, the transmission was just rebuilt last September.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:11 AM
* B A N N E D *

the trans shop had no other possible explaination for the symptom since you had the part put in and proved that wasnt the problem? I'd take it to another trans shop for a 2nd opinion.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:39 AM

Default Re: (EASY101)

sounds like your fliter screen is blocked, once the trans heats up the clutch material gets stuck and causes the tranny not to work right, then after you stop for a while the particles settle.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the D4 light blinking? mine does the same thing almost to a tee, and it's throwing a code for the shift solenoid.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:24 PM

Default Re: (NastyHabitzCRX)

The d4 light will begin to blink even before skip gear mode begins. It blinks every time I use my car, regardless of how long of a trip I am taking. It will begin to blink 30 seconds to 1 minute after leaving the parking lot.

Oh! And I have heard before that the problem may be the shift solenoid! Do you know what that part would cost to be replaced?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: (BBuncky2)

Your transmission computer is probably bad (find out for sure before you buy one). If you can, open it up, you will probably have leaking capacitors inside. The hotter the outside temperature is, the worse it will get. Try to find a used one, a new one (from Honda) will cost you a bundle. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BLKFLSH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BBuncky2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Oh! And I have heard before that the problem may be the shift solenoid! Do you know what that part would cost to be replaced?</TD></TR></TABLE>dealer quoted me 264.00 i just keep going to the junkyard everynow and then, and pocketing them
Old 07-24-2006, 05:04 PM

Oh, and get this: whenever I have been driving for a while and I pull into the parking lot to park, I shift to Park and about 5 seconds later, the car makes the most horrible bang sound from the engine area. I am going to record the sound and post it to this forum.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BBuncky2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I am going to record the sound and post it to this forum.</TD></TR></TABLE>do it !
Old 07-26-2006, 01:19 PM

Ok never mind! Guess what happened today? It went to first gear and then FAILED to shift to any other gear. I was waiting for it to shift and the RPM's passed the 2nd gear RPMs....and kept going. I slowed down to a stop and tried again. This time, it wouldn't even catch a gear. I'm getting a transmission flush / screen replacement tomorrow. I'll get back with you on what happens.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:39 PM

it did this because it was scared of Honda-Tech's diagnosis.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:22 PM

Default Re: (Eagle16nam)

One of the guys who responded to this forum said this: <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stealthman80 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like your fliter screen is blocked, once the trans heats up the clutch material gets stuck and causes the tranny not to work right, then after you stop for a while the particles settle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I explained this to the guy at the shop and he looked at me like I was an idiot and told me that my car doesn't even have a screen. Who is right? I let them put some sort of liquid in my transmission that helps keep the gears from slipping. It did nothing. Sometimes, my car won't grip a gear....every time I accellerate, I'm afraid that it will stop shifting altogether. It did that today! I was going about 30, and it failed to go to any gear, I just started to slow down and it revved like I was in neutral! Then I took it to Autozone to get my check engine light checked. The guy was a ******* retard! I was like...umm I just wanna be sure to tell you that it's an OBD1. He's like...what's that? I knew he would fail as soon as those words left his dangling, fat lips. No idea what to do. I call the dealership and they can't help. They only put transmissions in and take them out. If the ******* dealership can't help, who can I turn to? I tried transmission shops but none of them were there now. They all went home for the day. I'm going to try a few tomorrow.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tranny in my auto 97 cl 2.2 (basically 97 accord vtec) is doing this too. It just seems to get worse so I can only drive it in the neighborhood or one block before it slips all together, but usually when I shift it into reverse that seems to work 90% or the time, but the other gears don't work 90% of the time.

Still looking for parts for auto to manual and still looking for a used auto transmission. Whatever comes first for me.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is a slim chance that it may still be the lockup solenoid. sounds like in both cases though the clutch packs are on the way out/already gone.
have you pulled the code from the ecu yet. its really easy
Old 07-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

I pulled mine, I think it was a code 15 which just means there is something terribly wrong with the tranny.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Re: (technine)

lmao, technine! Anyway, all, I just had the car towed to a transmission shop where the guy has worked on 4th gens before. He will check it out for free and I have triple A so the towing was free too. Here we go. If it is more than like 500 bucks, I may just get rid of the car. It's just not worth throwing something like a grand at it at this point. I'm a poor college student (relatively).
Old 07-28-2006, 01:00 PM

You do that by putting two wires together and counting the long/short blinks of the D4 light, right? It has something to do with that. Short blinks indicate 1 and long blinks 10.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BBuncky2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You do that by putting two wires together and counting the long/short blinks of the D4 light, right? It has something to do with that. Short blinks indicate 1 and long blinks 10.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have to find the service connector on the passenger side of the car and use a paper clip or wires and connect the two pin connector together (make a loop, make a u shape with the paper clip and stick one end in one pin and the other in the other pin to jump it). Light will start to blink when you turn the ignition on.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:19 PM

Default CONCLUSION

In conclusion, it was what I suspected. It was my shift solenoid A that failed. As a result, my whole transmission went to **** when it overheated and the solenoid failed. I had to get the tranny rebuilt for 1900 smackeroos. Don't let this happen to you! Get the shift solenoid checked out before it is too late!
Old 08-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CONCLUSION (BBuncky2)

already happened to me previous trans didnt last more than 6 months after the solenoid went out
Old 08-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CONCLUSION (NastyHabitzCRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NastyHabitzCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">already happened to me previous trans didnt last more than 6 months after the solenoid went out</TD></TR></TABLE>

How did you determine that it was the soenoid? How can you tell when it goes bad?
Old 08-06-2006, 01:21 PM

Default Re: CONCLUSION (technine)

The guy who repaired my transmission told me that that is what failed and caused a chain reaction of problems. Also, sometimes the car's computer will alert you when you check the error code. Other than that, I'm not sure how to tell. A problem associated with this is that even if I had strongly suspected it before, I would have no way other than all-out removing the transmission and opening it and inspecting the solenoid. If you can't do that yourself, you can expect to pay out the *** for a trans shop to do it for you. At that point, you're taking a chance with your money. 300 dollars, at least. *shrugs*
Old 08-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i knew the tranny was acting funny, but didnt know that only the d4 light would blink. the bulb that lights the d4 light was out and never worked proir to the tran goin out.
after i changed the trans i took apart the cluster to change it and now i know when i have a problem and when im in d4
Old 08-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CONCLUSION (BBuncky2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BBuncky2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The guy who repaired my transmission told me that that is what failed and caused a chain reaction of problems. Also, sometimes the car's computer will alert you when you check the error code. Other than that, I'm not sure how to tell. A problem associated with this is that even if I had strongly suspected it before, I would have no way other than all-out removing the transmission and opening it and inspecting the solenoid. If you can't do that yourself, you can expect to pay out the *** for a trans shop to do it for you. At that point, you're taking a chance with your money. 300 dollars, at least. *shrugs* </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well in my case the computer only showed code 15 which means generally something is wrong with the functioning of the transmission and nothing more. It doesn't say if a soleniod is failing or anything. You don't have to remove the transmission to take the soleniod off because they are locatated on top of the transmission housing. I hope it's not just my shift control soleniod acting up.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:49 AM

Default Re: CONCLUSION (technine)

Oh, that's good that it's not in the transmission housing. The problem was this...and I'm almost ashamed to admit it. When I put my subwoofer in, I ran my power cord through a hole that was already in the firewall. I just did not seal around the power cord afterwards. As a result, water got in over time and corroded the wires that went to my transmission computer. My computer basically could no longer tell the transmission what to do, so the transmission must have gotten in it's own way and went to ****. So because I didn't seal a hole...install a rubber grommit...something that would have cost me 5 dollars....I ended up spending close to 1900 dollars. Although predominantly this shows not to be an idiot like me, it also shows, I think, that problems with the transmission computer can be just as bad of a problem as a malfunction inside the mechanical parts of the transmission.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Accord Skips Gears