Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2001 Accord ex problem after another

Old 07-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Accord ex problem after another

Hey all,

My car won't start. In the beginning of its trouble, it had a check engine light but it still ran.

This is what I have done since the problems started:
1. Replaced a couple hoses connected to radiator
2. Bled radiator
3. Filled radiator reservoir
4. Replaced catalytic converter and it's gaskets(check engine light was P0420)
5. Changed auto transmission fluid
6. Changed battery (it had died)
7. Changed main relay (car started infrequently and when it did I had to add some gas to it.)

So here we are. Now it won't start at all. I am planning on changing the fuel pump, strainer, and filter. I'm also going to check my spark plugs just in case.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: when checking spark plugs, the tubing that is about spark plug was stuck, I ended up yakking out the wire from it then when using needle nosed plier, it came off in chunks. What would cause this?

Last edited by trulypaulie; 07-09-2016 at 10:46 AM. Reason: New problem
Old 07-09-2016, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2001 Accord ex problem after another

what are the codes? You always start with the check engine light
Old 07-09-2016, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have a device to check the codes. But do you know what would cause the spark plug area to cause the wire/tube thing to get completely stuck?
Old 07-10-2016, 08:11 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Oil in the spark plug tubes would, eventually, deteriorate the insulator and cause it to stick the spark plug tube. Oil would leak in via the valve cover O-rings.
Unless the plug wires were really old.
If the plugs/plug wires were in that bad shape the car was probably in need of a tuneup.

P0420 is 'below catalyst threshold efficiency'. This means the catalyst cannot properly catalyze the exhaust, this can occur for any number of reasons, from in need of a tuneup, valves out of adjustment, lazy primary O2 sensor, incorrect fuel pressure, etc etc. It does not mean the catalyst is dead.

If the car won't start check the basics.

Does the security light on your dash turn off, or does it constantly blink even with the key installed.
If the security/key lamp keeps blinking with the key installed, stop. Until you find out what is the cause of the security issue the car will NEVER start unless you have a new chipped key or get the emergency override brake code from Honda.

Verify that the air filter is clean, enough, and there are no obstructions in the intake tract.

Verify there is fuel reaching the injectors. Look for the large fuel line to flex hose, loosen the bolt , cover it with a rag and turn the key to II(ON) fuel should rush out. Ideally would be to check fuel pressure using a gauge, best do this before dropping the tank.

Verify spark. pull a spark plug, reinstall it into the sparkplug, hold the 'J' ground electrode of the plug agaist a metal part of the block while holding the spark plug wire. Have an assistant crank the engine, if you see a blueish/white arc from the plug then there is plenty of spark. If it is orange the spark is weak. If no spark there may be an issue else where in the ignition system.

Verify injectors are firing. Use a test diode on the injector harness.

Verify compression. If compression is low, add some oil through the spark plug hole and see if it changes. If no changes, check the valves are properly adjusted.

If the engine is otherwise grimy or oily, you may want to pull the lower timing cover and inspect the pickup sensors are not coated in junk. If they are they may not work properly and allow firing of the ignition/injectors.

Last edited by MAD_MIKE; 07-10-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mad Mike covered it all but if you want to watch a video that also covers it check out Scotty Kilmer's YouTube videos "Fixing a car that cranks but doesn't start up" and "What to do if your car won't start"