Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2000 accord factory security system broken?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 accord factory security system broken?

Hello,

I just bought a 2000 Honda Accord from a used car dealership (not honda dealership). All it came with was 1 key, and no remote to unlock the doors. After I asked the guy said I could buy a remote from a honda dealership or online, so I did. I got the remote in the mail, and followed the programing instructions, and it wouldnt work. So I brought it to a honda dealership, asked them to program it, and after they tried, and tried one of their own remotes to program it, neither one worked. And they said it wasn't a problem with the remote, it was a problem with the factory security system, and they could diagnose the problem for $112, and might be able to fix it.

My question is, has anyone had this problem before? Is there a way I can fix this? Or is it worth it to pay the honda dealership to try to fix it?
Old 06-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 accord factory security system broken?

I am no expert on remote entries, but i'm pretty sure the frequency emitted from the remote is specific to the recevier that is installed in your car which is likely tied to the VIN. I would guess that only Honda is going to have access to the correct information on what frequency your car is looking for, so if the receiver (module?) needs to be replaced, it will probably have to be programmed by Honda. It might be worth it to have them diagnose it if you can afford it and really need the factory remote.

you can always add an aftermarket keyless entry unit for much less if you are okay with a non-factory remote. Autoloc's keyless entries are very reliable from my experience (I have only used Autoloc). I have the KL 550 if i remember correctly. they make several different ones that have various numbers of channels. try summitracing.com.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:11 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not all accords came with a security system (aka alarm) they did come with immobilizer though........ as far as I know only the EX came with factory alarm
Old 11-15-2014, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Crupt
Hello,

I just bought a 2000 Honda Accord from a used car dealership (not honda dealership). All it came with was 1 key, and no remote to unlock the doors. After I asked the guy said I could buy a remote from a honda dealership or online, so I did. I got the remote in the mail, and followed the programing instructions, and it wouldnt work. So I brought it to a honda dealership, asked them to program it, and after they tried, and tried one of their own remotes to program it, neither one worked. And they said it wasn't a problem with the remote, it was a problem with the factory security system, and they could diagnose the problem for $112, and might be able to fix it.

My question is, has anyone had this problem before? Is there a way I can fix this? Or is it worth it to pay the honda dealership to try to fix it?
I am in the same boat here. Got my 2000 Accord SE 4 door at auction, had only the valet key and a remote. Not sure the remote was for my specific car or was from a different vehicle.

I cannot get the programming to work, have tried probably 20 times.

The security LED has never turned on, if i use the key to lock from the outside or lock it via the power locks.

I have been looking for the keyless entry control unit, but no luck so far.

Any advice would be helpful. Tired of using the key to open the doors. #firstworldproblems
Old 12-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Crupt
Hello,

Did you ever get an answer to this? i know it was 4 years ago, but i am in the same place as you.