Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1998 Honda Accord V6 Timing Belt setting

Old 06-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Honda Accord V6 Timing Belt setting

Hello to all of You enthusiastic home mechanics
So my Honda Accord V6 is at 219K ml and I decided to do some maintenance by replacing TB, WPump, wires, plugs, etc.
Removing all the elements to get to the timing belt was, let's say, meditational Once I had a good view of the cams wheels and the crank gear I lined up the crank and both cams with their marks. Then I removed the tension pulleys and removed the TB. After replacing the pump, which it was easy enough, I proceeded to install the new TB. That's when things when south. The back cam moved, then the front one. I got frustrated (it was at night too) and I left everything as it was and when to bed.
When I got back to it I notice that the crankshaft has also move a bit. So I decided to move the crankshaft one full turn and after removing the plugs I move one or two turns the cams - no sure if one or twice because of the spring effect when I tried to move them with the spark plugs on.
My dilemma is that since I turn the crankshaft and the cams while the TB was off, each one separately, and since there is 2 to 1 turns between crankshaft and cams I am not sure if the crank is properly line up. In other words, even though the marks line up I am not sure if the first cylinder is the one up.
After installing the TB I turn the crankshaft twice to realizing that the mark on the crankshaft lines up with the mark on front cam for cylinder 5 and cylinder 1. What I don't know if I have then incorrectly set and the cylinder 5 is up when cam marks 1, and when cylinder 1 is up the cam marks cylinder 5. Is there anyway to find out?
Old 06-08-2014, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 1998 Honda Accord V6 Timing Belt setting

I'm not even sure where to start with this one.

First, please be careful turning the crank with the timing belt off - hope you didn't bend a valve.

Next, damage may be done but, get the crank to TDC #1. You can verify by either looking at the valves on #1 or by inserting "something" into the cyl - be careful - thru the spark plug hole and the top of the piston should be "right there".

Now check your cam marks? What do they look like.

Hindsight is 20/20, note for the future when changing a belt that is not already broken - I always make marks on the old belt and the gear(s) with some sort of marker before removing the old belt. You can then transfer those marks from the old belt to the new one - count the number of teeth between each mark. Then when you install the new belt those marks should line up on the marks on the gear(s). If something "moved" a tiny bit while the belt was off you would know what to move and what direction.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lost Again
I'm not even sure where to start with this one.

First, please be careful turning the crank with the timing belt off - hope you didn't bend a valve.

Next, damage may be done but, get the crank to TDC #1. You can verify by either looking at the valves on #1 or by inserting "something" into the cyl - be careful - thru the spark plug hole and the top of the piston should be "right there".

Now check your cam marks? What do they look like.

Hindsight is 20/20, note for the future when changing a belt that is not already broken - I always make marks on the old belt and the gear(s) with some sort of marker before removing the old belt. You can then transfer those marks from the old belt to the new one - count the number of teeth between each mark. Then when you install the new belt those marks should line up on the marks on the gear(s). If something "moved" a tiny bit while the belt was off you would know what to move and what direction.
Thank You for your reply.
I imagine You mean to put something inside cylinder one that will tell me if the crank is in the right position. I guess I could probably fill for the pressure that will mount on the cylinder by covering the spark plug entrance with my hand and wait for the pressure.
How easy do those valve bent? Can they bent by moving the cam wheels or the crankshaft?
Thank You for your help with this.
One more silly question which one is the first cylinder? Looking at the car from the front, having the TB in the left, I thought it was the front left cylinder or is it the back left cylinder?
Thanks again.

Last edited by liberybell; 06-09-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

#1 is on the rear head - belt end. I hope the valves are ok, so that being said a long screw driver - be careful would also work
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lost Again
#1 is on the rear head - belt end. I hope the valves are ok, so that being said a long screw driver - be careful would also work
I hope the valves are ok too - let's not jinx it
I use the oil stick (after cleaning it) to do measuring.
So I measure the dept while the marks on crankshaft and cams point to TDC (which it is suppose to be cylinder 1 up) and this is what I found (measure include the 5" depth of the cover head):
- Cylinder 1 - 5" and 3/4
- Cylinder 2 - 5" and 3/4
- Cylinder 3 - 5" and 3/4
- Cylinder 4 - 10" or so
- Cylinder 5 - 7" and 1/2
- Cylinder 6 - 10"

Then I gave one full turn to the crankshaft (TB already on) which it brings the mark on the front cam to the mark of the 5th cylinder (not mark on the back cam for this position) and I found the measurement to be the same(???)

I am really confuse about this. Your help is definitely greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 06-15-2014, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Waiting on a reply from You guys.
I will really appreciate any help with this timing belt setting.
Last thing I want to do is put everything back together and have to start all over again.
Am I am confuse about the position of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cylinders. I think I set at TDC but I am confused about the fact that the three back cylinders (1,2,3) seems to be at the same position. Maybe the difference in depth of each is so minimal that I can tell by measuring with the oil stick.
Any way any help You can provide me will certainly help.
Thank You
Old 06-15-2014, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry I missed your post from the other day.

Don't over think with the "other cyl's" - two thru six. Each of the other cyl's are on a different "cylce".

Crank to TDC #1 - use your stick to see a slight movement up and down if you move the crank - small amount. Get the cams right and you should be good to go.

This is a "four stroke engine" - so each cyl has four strokes. Intake, compression, power, exhaust -simple description.