Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1997 Accord EX H22A swap idle/bogging issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Accord EX H22A swap idle/bogging issues

I'm not usually one to ask for help on here, but I'm pretty stumped right now and am just looking for some ideas on where to start with this. Before anyone screams "search button" at me, yes I already did that.. Lol. I have a 1997 EX Accord with a 93 H22a swap. It was having some idling issues(mostly low idles) and a slight hesitation/bogging feeling when cruising on the freeway, so I checked the ignition timing, set in with a timing light then checked all the sensors. I found the Map and tps sensors were backwards and the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator is disconnected. After I switched them, timed it and hooked up the FPR it seemed to run a whole lot better. I drove it the next day and it started to stutter slightly on acceleration. By the time I reached work, a 30 minute drive, it was bogging hard in 1st gear. CEL came on and flashes two codes, TPS sensor and EGR valve (which has been deleted/blocked off). Started it to drive home and it took a little persuading to start, then 15 minutes into the drive it starts the stuttering and bogging again. Finally it dies and won't start back up. It's like 1:30am by this time and I have no one to call. It sits for about an hour. I swap the sensors back just attempting to get it running again and nothing works. I have an external coil so I checked all the wiring to that, and tapped on the distributor with a socket. Tried starting it again, this time it started and ran, but still with the same bogging and stuttering, just not quite as bad and got me home. Still needs help starting and idles very low. My question is, do all these symptoms sound more related to the TPS and EGR codes? Or more towards the ignition system, possibly an igniter going out and heating up, then cooling down? Checked the spark and it seems strong. Running on a Obd1 P13 Ecu with jumper harness If you've read this far, thanks, didn't wanna have to keep coming back and adding details. Any input is appreciated.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: 1997 Accord EX H22A swap idle/bogging issues

Y3s the TPS can cause similar issues. My suggestion would be to test your TPS. Don't just replace it without testing. Make sure all of your connections are clean and tight.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
Y3s the TPS can cause similar issues. My suggestion would be to test your TPS. Don't just replace it without testing. Make sure all of your connections are clean and tight.
Turned out the thread I'd looked at had the wire colors for the MAP and TPS backwards.. Feeling quite dumb about that one. Lol. I'd tried swapping them before, but didn't clear the codes from the ecu. It's running and idling now. But still has some idle and hesitation issues. I'll be testing the TPS tomorrow though just in case it's not calibrated right or something.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So is this an OEM ecu or is it chipped and tuned? Because I had hesitation issues with the crome tune it came with. Switched to hondata and much improved.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tachi
So is this an OEM ecu or is it chipped and tuned? Because I had hesitation issues with the crome tune it came with. Switched to hondata and much improved.
It's an OEM P13. I have a feeling that if I got a chipped ecu and disabled the EGR, it would probably help a whole lot. I just wanted to straighten everything I could on the stock ecu first. I'd rather not mask any issues or anything like that.