Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1996 Honda Accord Auto Trans - Just replaced Tranny still slipping - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:00 PM
PM Garage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 1996 Honda Accord Auto Trans - Just replaced Tranny still slipping - HELP

1996 Honda Accord Auto Trans - Just replaced Tranny still slipping - HELP

Hey guys I am working on a 1996 Honda Accord EX Auto Tranny and I just replaced it with a used Japanese and I have problems still.

OLD TRANS: the old trans would drive around but slip and accelerate slowly.

NEW USED TRANS: if I keep shifter in 1st gear it will accelerate up to 50 mph sometimes but not in other gears when I turn off car the car will drive slowly not any faster. Shifts to 1st maybe 2nd thats it and keeps on slipping and not go anywhere Crazy thing is that I could turn off car and then drive again slowly until I drive to fast then it happens again and could not accelerate anymore.

NO Codes
USE: Honda ATF
FLUID LEVEL: OK
USED Torque Converter that came with new used tranny

TESTED
1. When I switched old solenoid to used Japan trans it would drive slowly then would not drive at no matter what.

QUESTIONS
1. Could it be a bad trans - it slips
2. Could it be just the solenoid - It would not shift properly (I think it is a bad solenoid because its not even going into gears, the old tranny would shift but accelerate slowly.)
3. Does anyone have any experience or similar problem ? I do not want to drop the tranny again big Pain in the but.
4. I want to figure out if it is a bad trans from japan or bad solenoid does anyone know how to TEST them?

Thanks in Advance

Last edited by civichb20; 05-18-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 1996 Honda Accord Auto Trans - Just replaced Tranny still slipping - HELP

I'm not too familiar with automatic trannies. But i know that they have "clutches" inside. Perhaps a problem related to torque converter?!.. i'm just saying... i have no idea.
What's the possibility of buying a tranny and that tranny be doing the exact same problem as it did before?
Old 05-18-2010, 09:09 PM
PM Garage

Default Re: 1996 Honda Accord Auto Trans - Just replaced Tranny still slipping - HELP

thanks but the problem is a tranny problem but not the same with old problem I could drive around slowly and it thru codes.

With the new problem it will go into 1st and maybe second and then keep on slipping and not go anywhere. I could turn off engine then start up again and drive for a little while.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat related? How are your transmission cooling lines? One of my metal lines was kinked, might want to check for that. Maybe not enough fluid flowing through.

Solenoid screen dirty? TCM?

Last time I had a slip on my car was when the tranny died. (Hopefully this is not the case)
Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 PM
PM Garage

Trans line good I could only drive for a couple of seconds

I pulled solenoid screens look clean

Whats TCM - throttle control module ? and where is it?

thanks,
Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 PM
PM Garage

I want to figure out if it is a bad trans from japan or bad solenoid does anyone know how to test them?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:17 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

http://techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html
Old 05-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by civichb20
Trans line good I could only drive for a couple of seconds

I pulled solenoid screens look clean

Whats TCM - throttle control module ? and where is it?

thanks,
TCM is a trans control module. i think its under the radio. not really sure. i dont specialize in traansmission repairs here so all i do is replace things like clutches, trans fluid, torque converters, and things like that. i do re-seal trans cases for manual transmissions on some transmissions (i can rebuild most manual transmissions) but i dont focus on trans work so this is rare in this shop also.
where did you get your trans from? i'm thinking a junk yard so its possible that you got another one with bad clutches also. unless you bought a rebuilt trans which should have a warranty of some kind, youre really rolling the dice buying a trans from a junk yard.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My transmission does the same thing (made a thread yesterday) but I am leaning towards it being the TPS....see the bottom of this page here as I have the EXACT same symptons... http://techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html

I would narrow it down to this:

1. TPS (~$40 if you look online, Honda doesn't sell it on its on)
2. Shift Solenoid (there are 2, check both, run ~$230 each)
3. SHift Selector Cable (~$140)
4. Transmission itself (although doubted)- $500 for another junkyard one + 4-500 labor at a shop to... upwards of 2k for a reman. to be SURE it will last you another 2-3 years....depends on how long you plan on keeping the car
Old 05-19-2010, 02:29 PM
PM Garage

Manuals
http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals
http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_omanual.asp
Old 05-19-2010, 02:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Wow 50 MPH in first gear! That in itself would tear up the tranny first of all. I would never buy a used tranny because the mileage is unknown. There is no way of knowing if was taken care of in its life(on time fluid changes,slam shifting like its a manual gear box,neutral drops,etcetera.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HonBeer
Wow 50 MPH in first gear! That in itself would tear up the tranny first of all. I would never buy a used tranny because the mileage is unknown. There is no way of knowing if was taken care of in its life(on time fluid changes,slam shifting like its a manual gear box,neutral drops,etcetera.
LOL so true i bought a used auto trans off some guy for 20 bucks because he said it needed rebuilding. but i just recycled it at the scrap yard. i made i think it was about 10 bucks and got my 20 back LOL
Old 05-20-2010, 09:46 AM
PM Garage

now its not shifting at all played with solenoids and swapped out with the older and then back and forth but no luck. I tested the orginal hear clicks on the 1-2 and 3 was a weak click and 4 regular click. The solenoids that came with used tranny from Japan had nice and loud regular clicks.

I am running out of solutions HELP it wont shift at all but it will go in reverse and I am not getting any codes after I jumped service connector.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:52 PM
PM Garage

Hey I will PAY anyone $50 to let me used there good solenoid and anything else I may need to help me with my auto trans job in the So Cal area.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HonBeer
you would toast the engine before the trans
Old 05-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like your tranny is in FAIL SAFE is the D4 light Flashing or check engine light on? It has to be scaned find out if it has any codes in the system
Old 05-20-2010, 04:46 PM
PM Garage

Originally Posted by eddie_ek
Sounds like your tranny is in FAIL SAFE is the D4 light Flashing or check engine light on? It has to be scaned find out if it has any codes in the system
I jumped the service connector no codes for trans computer and there is no flashing at all. Keep in mind I just swapped it out for a used Jdm one and it had a engine code before that I did not know what was for.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why don't you try swapping all the sensor and solenoids from the usdm to jdm tranny sometimes these sensors have different ohms for different years and applications.

Just to give an example I'm working on a 96 chevy blazer and the 2-3 solenoid is bad well in 96 their was two different solenoids that look exactly alike their was a 12ohm and a 22ohm and if you install the wrong one the computer cannot read it and it will put the trans in fail safe.

On those 96 accords which I'm actually rebuilding a trans right now for a customer have issues with the duel linear solenoids on top of the trans and make sure to check the pressure switches it has two one on the rear cover and one on the bell housing they are different colors for a reason BLACK or GREEN the right one has to go with the car or the computer will reject it. Hope this helps good luck
Old 05-21-2010, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now its not shifting at all played with solenoids and swapped out with the older and then back and forth but no luck. I tested the orginal hear clicks on the 1-2 and 3 was a weak click and 4 regular click. The solenoids that came with used tranny from Japan had nice and loud regular clicks.

I am running out of solutions HELP it wont shift at all but it will go in reverse and I am not getting any codes after I jumped service connector.
Sorry to say. My old tranny wouldn't shift into any forward gears, but reverse works. It has been replaced by another one now.

I think you should claim warranty... BTW, how is the adjustment on that shift lever?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:59 PM
PM Garage

Originally Posted by eddie_ek
Why don't you try swapping all the sensor and solenoids from the usdm to jdm tranny sometimes these sensors have different ohms for different years and applications.

Just to give an example I'm working on a 96 chevy blazer and the 2-3 solenoid is bad well in 96 their was two different solenoids that look exactly alike their was a 12ohm and a 22ohm and if you install the wrong one the computer cannot read it and it will put the trans in fail safe.

On those 96 accords which I'm actually rebuilding a trans right now for a customer have issues with the duel linear solenoids on top of the trans and make sure to check the pressure switches it has two one on the rear cover and one on the bell housing they are different colors for a reason BLACK or GREEN the right one has to go with the car or the computer will reject it. Hope this helps good luck
I will try this out thanks
Old 05-21-2010, 05:01 PM
PM Garage

Originally Posted by The-Kid
Sorry to say. My old tranny wouldn't shift into any forward gears, but reverse works. It has been replaced by another one now.

I think you should claim warranty... BTW, how is the adjustment on that shift lever?
I did not think about that the shift cable seems to be stick out a little more than normal plus how do you adjust it? It go into park and reverse perfect.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:15 PM
PM Garage

I have narrow it down to the following thank you Honda Factory Manuals makes you feel you like pro.

1. ATF strainer clogged
2. Pressure regulator stuck
3. Oil pump worn or binding
4. Shift cable broken/adjusting

Will keep you posted.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have narrow it down to the following thank you Honda Factory Manuals makes you feel you like pro.

1. ATF strainer clogged
2. Pressure regulator stuck
3. Oil pump worn or binding
4. Shift cable broken/adjusting

Will keep you posted.
The first 3 trans has to come out and be opened up to check.

the strainers do get plugged up on these trans a lot but the reason the get plugged is due to clutches wearing down or mechanical parts like drums, bearings, valve body, or pump being worn all bad things that will need an overhaul to fix.

I doubt your shifter cable is broken and if when you shifted and it shows good on the dashboard that means your Safety Neutral switch/Inhibitor switch/PRNDL switch is adjusted correctly. Sorry a lot of People have different names for it.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:57 AM
PM Garage

dropping tranny today warranty ugh
Old 05-28-2010, 10:35 PM
PM Garage

found out it was a bad tranny becareful out there and make sure you get a rep place I bought thru Soshin they returned it with no problems yeah. but they did tell it happens some times.

Quick Reply: 1996 Honda Accord Auto Trans - Just replaced Tranny still slipping - HELP