Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1994 Honda Accord LX Crankshaft Bolt Stuck.....Removal

Old 09-17-2008, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Honda Accord LX Crankshaft Bolt Stuck.....Removal

1994 Honda Accord 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 135k miles

----------------------------------------------------------------

I recently replaced the head gasket on my accord and when lining up the 1st cylinder to TDC, realized the engine was stuck.

The pulley had already been removed from the crankshaft when the bolt was placed back into it's socket to try and get the engine turning. After letting PB Blaster set in the cylinders and thoroughly soaking the crank, the engine became free.

The problem is that now that it's free, all the pressure put on the crankshaft bolt has made it near impossible to remove. The car is an auto trans and I can not figure out a way to get the engine to set still so that I can remove this bolt.

Please help me figure this one out.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2008, 06:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1994 Honda Accord LX Crankshaft Bolt Stuck.....Removal (stuklikechuk)

There's 2 different ways of doing it. Either A: get a really big impact gun ( I use a 3/4" IR) or B: there is a tool you can buy that will hold the crank pully still with a breaker bar and then you can use another one to loosen the bolt.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:03 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 1994 Honda Accord LX Crankshaft Bolt Stuck.....Removal (stuklikechuk)

see Step #10 of my timing belt how-to

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1908944
Old 09-17-2008, 07:05 AM

Default Re: 1994 Honda Accord LX Crankshaft Bolt Stuck.....Removal (Turbowa)

Thanks for the quick reply and advice.

I figured a large impact would probably work (which I don't have), but an 18mm would have to be hammered on to the bolt as there is very little left for the 19mm to grip onto.

As far as the second option, do you know where I might find the tool for holding the crank pulley in place?

Thanks again
Old 09-17-2008, 07:17 AM

It seems that the pulley holding tool has a recess for a socket to gain access to the bolt itself. As I mentioned, the bolt is pretty hammered due to a monkey wrench that was used to try and loosen it. The pulley itself is not on the crank now. Do you think the tool would sit far enough onto the crank pulley holder to have access with a monkey wrench? It is kind of hard to tell just how the tool works from the pics. Does it grab the teeth that hold the pulley?
Old 09-17-2008, 07:22 AM

Just checked the pulley and noticed the 50mm recess for the tool to work.

Just the same prob.....no pulley on vehicle.

I thought about cutting the head off the bolt, removing the washer, and having a little access to what is left hanging out of the crank. That is assuming that the majority of the pressure is at the head of the bolt. If the threads are still super stuck....I will be more screwed than before.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: (stuklikechuk)

Is the head on or off the car?

If it is on the engine then you could try threading a length of clean nylon rope down into the No.1 cylinder through the spark plug hole. Once there is enough in there it will act as a sort of piston stop. In order to do this you will need to ensure that you are at TDC of the No.1 cylinder. This will ensure that both of the valves will be closed as the piston puts pressure on the rope & top of the combustion chamber.

Once you know that you are at TDC on Cyl. No.1 rotate the engine 1/2 a turn clockwise. This will allow you some room to get a length of rope down into the cylinder. Feed 12-15 inches of rope down into the cylinder, remember to leave enough rope outside the engine so that you don't drop it down the spark plug hole. Once you have some rope down in the cylinder try to remove the crank bolt. If it doesn't stop rotating, Stop, back off 1/2 turn again and try feeding more rope into the cylinder until it does stop.

This procedure may be frowned upon here but I have had to do this before. And it worked with no adverse effects on the engine. If done properly. Make sure that the engine is at TDC if you are going to try this.

If the head is off the motor see if you can get a piston stop from an engine builder. Or make one yourself.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:53 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (stuklikechuk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stuklikechuk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought about cutting the head off the bolt, removing the washer, and having a little access to what is left hanging out of the crank. That is assuming that the majority of the pressure is at the head of the bolt. If the threads are still super stuck....I will be more screwed than before.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't try that... I pretty sure the crank sits close to the face of the pulley so if you cut off the head I doubt there will be much room.

Also, I doubt all the pressure is on the head of that bolt. With ~180 ft/lbs of torque on it I'm sure those threads are stretched a bit.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:06 AM

Default Re: (TouringAccord)

Head is off of the car.

Piston stop idea sounds pretty good. Maybe a vice of some sort with blocks of wood put over the vice stops to keep from scarring/damaging cylinders.

thanks