Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1993 Honda Accord Reverse Lights Not Working! ( Back-Up Light Problems )

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon4 1993 Honda Accord Reverse Lights Not Working! ( Back-Up Light Problems )

Hey everyone.
I have a 1993 Honda Accord Manual Tranny and every time I go into my reverse gear. I'm not getting any back up light.
It's been working fine all the time when one day it just clanked out and wouldn't illuminate at all.
I've checked fuses under the dash ( where it's indicated "Back-Up Lights and Indicator", my indicator lights work perfectly ) and the fuses seem good! I've checked the bulbs by putting them into the brake lights, they light up.
I've tried putting a electrical tester in the socket to the center where the filiment touches and it shows that it has electricity.

Someone showed my that the switch for the reverse lights is located behind the starting motor I've checked that. and it is perfectly fine. No loose wires or anything.

So currently stumped.
I've read in a forum to jump the wires where it plugs in. But I haven't even seen the plug much less know how to jump it, Lol.

I'm a new driver in the caribbean and it's my first car.
That's the only mechanical issue it has and I want to do it for once before I giving up and carrying it to the mechanic tomorrow.
Let me know guys.

Thanks for reading. God Bless.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:25 PM
MM Gruppe B

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Re: 1993 Honda Accord Reverse Lights Not Working! ( Back-Up Light Problems )

Originally Posted by DomonicCB7
the switch for the reverse lights is located behind the starting motor I've checked that. and it is perfectly fine. No loose wires or anything.
Did you verify with a meter that the switch closes when the trans is placed into Reverse? If there is no continuity then no power will make it to the reverse lamps.

Verify there is voltage going to the switch and voltage making it through. Turn Ignition to II(ON), the engine does not need to be running, just power.
Easiest thing would be to unplug the wires from the switch and jumper the cars harness to see if Reverse lamps light up.

If they do, most likely the trans reverse switch is bad.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon4 Re: 1993 Honda Accord Reverse Lights Not Working! ( Back-Up Light Problems )

I've never checked the switch because I'm not sure of where it is really. One say It's on the tranny.. next say it's behind the starter.. So i'm confused.

I"ve never multimeter before or have I tested the switch much less to jump it.. If it is bad.. Would there be an alternative before I get a new one ?
Old 12-06-2015, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1993 Honda Accord Reverse Lights Not Working! ( Back-Up Light Problems )

It is "behind" the starter - firewall side - screwed into the transmission. It has two wires coming off of it - a few inches of wire and then a connection.
Attached Images  
Old 12-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's the switch guys.
I checked with my mechanic and found out that's the culprit.
Thank you guys for your time
God Bless.