Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

1993 Accord LX - Problem After Dash Bezel Replacement (Plus Other Issues)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 1993 Accord LX - Problem After Dash Bezel Replacement (Plus Other Issues)

Earlier today, I removed the old, cracked dash bezel I had in my '93 Accord LX and replaced it with a nice one I found at the junkyard. I had some trouble trying to get the bezel to fit right, and it took some time and patience to finally get it in (I really didn't want to crack it).

After installing the screws and feeling pretty proud of myself, I tried to move the steering wheel up using the tilt function, and it was very hard for the steering wheel to move. I finally moved it up and started to drive, and noticed my steering was very different. The steering felt very tight, and with each left or right turn I made I could feel/hear something in the steering column rubbing against the bezel I just installed. Upon inspection, I could see that the back of the steering wheel is sitting very tightly against the bezel.

I looked over everything I did and the bezel is sitting nicely in the dash, so I am really confused as to why/how this happened? I'm guessing there's something I didn't do right, but I'm not sure what to do to solve this. Can someone please provide some input???

I also have a couple other things going on with my car and I would greatly appreciate any input! The Brake Lamp light is turned on in my dash. I checked my brake lights and my rear deck brake light (top) along with my passenger side brake lights were out. I bought new bulbs and replaced the burned out ones. I tested my brake lights again and the passenger brake lights worked but not the rear deck one. I checked the fuses and the fuse installed for the tail lights was 10A when it should have been a 7.5A. I placed the correct fuse in its place, then re-tested the brake light with a new bulb, thinking that the higher amperage fuse might have blow out the bulb. Unfortunately, no luck. The rear deck brake light is still not coming on and I'm not sure what my next step would be. I checked the electrical connections and everything seems ok. I'm really trying to get this fixed because seeing the Brake Lamp light on in my dash bugs me!!!

One other issue I've been experiencing is the chime sound that comes on when you leave the keys in the ignition with the car off and open the door. Even when I take the keys out of the ignition, the chime still comes on as if the keys are in the ignition. Once I close the door the chime goes off...any idea on why this is happening?

Any help with any of the above issues would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1993 Accord LX - Problem After Dash Bezel Replacement (Plus Other Issues)

So I found the problem with the dash. As it turns out, the junkyard sold me the wrong part. The dash bezel they sold me is for a Civic and not an Accord. Both dash bezels look exactly the same, except the only difference is there's more of a gap where the steering wheel is on the dash bezel for the Accord. I'll have to make a trip back to the junkyard and see if they can give me the right piece. I'm just glad I figured out what the problem was!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1993 Accord LX - Problem After Dash Bezel Replacement (Plus Other Issues)

Check to see if your parking brake handle isn't pulled up slightly, and or the brake fluid level under the bonnet. These will both set the brake indicator lamp off on the dash.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check the control module for the brake indicator light. i had an issue with my running lights not coming on in the supra and it was that, could be that or a relay. the chime sounds like your ignition is just worn out so the car thinks the key is still in
Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dash is different from 90/91 and 92/93.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input Jmb106jr and CDdubz5! I'll try looking into those things and see if that's where the problem lies...

And you're right uberEFtuner, the dash is different for those years. So to correct my update I provided earlier, the dash bezel I purchased at the junkyard wasn't for a Civic, it was for an Accord, but the incorrect year. It appears that the only difference between the two (90/91 and 92/93) is that for 92/93 Accords, there is an indentation of about 3/4" where the steering column sits, to allow for the steering column to tilt up and down. I didn't catch this difference when comparing the two bezels so it was my fault for installing it. I've since removed the bezel and found the correct one at another junkyard. Unfortunately, the correct bezel I just purchased is slightly scratched up around the radio area so I might end up purchasing a brand new one from the dealer later on.

Thanks again for your input! Much appreciated!